Quaker State Winter Synthetic Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at that 5w-30's viscosity @ 40C
shocked.gif

-

-

I'm guessing that it should be about $2/qt, give or take.

Michael

[ September 26, 2005, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Michael Wan ]

I think it was at Big Lots for under $2 a quart. I posted it in the rebates, sales, etc (whatever the forum is called) forum a few weeks ago. It is SL also, because I think they are discontinuing it.

Yes, Michael, the 50 cSt viscosity at 40C is more like a 5W-20 than 5W-30.

But this QS Winter Blend has a VI of 207, so it will be thinner, or more correctly, less thick than a conventional 5W-30 as the temp heads to -30C.

I found it very strange that QS came out with these instead of a 0W-30. I understand why their marketing people did it, but I still think they could have successfully marketed a more appropriate (for really cold climates) 0W-30 grade instead.

I used it all winter in my minivan, it worked really well from what I could tell. The van ran really smooth and quiet, and it started really well and the engine ran very clean. I thought it was a great oil, and I think it was Johnny who said it was a very high quality synthetic blend with higher levels of synthetic than your typical blend. I'd run it again.

Ow- oils are hard to sell.

"Winter" oils are just marketing hype. High viscosity index is good...thickens less when cold & thins less when hot.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by steveh:
I think I would rather use a 5w20 for winter then somthing with a VI of 207.

GM and Toyota are big players and still haven't sanctioned it for warranty. I'm sure thats probably a part of the reason for this oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Ow- oils are hard to sell.

"Winter" oils are just marketing hype. High viscosity index is good...thickens less when cold & thins less when hot.

Ken

I would suggest there always is a measure of marketing hype, but any 5wXX or 0Wxx oil certainly is a winter oil in my opinion. Actually the QS Winter Blend comes in 10w30 too.

As for a high viscosity index, it is great when inherent in the oil (Redline comes to mind) but not so great if made from added polymers.

True, TallPaul, but I think in the case of this QS Winter Blend, the high VI number is generated by pour point depressants, not the VI improver polymers.
smile.gif

This is probably a formulation that is "built down" rather than up.

Oh yeah, forgot the pour point depressor (PPD). Hey then, so it is a basically thicker oil and in that respect is a respectable oil to us thick heads. However, cheap PPDs can loose their trick with use. Maybe the PPD is PAO, then it would be a lasting effect. Who knows, this could be liquid gold.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:
Well, if you're a member of the thick head club, fill out a membership card for me too!
cheers.gif

All you need is a decent sized stash of 10w30 or thicker oil. Any 5w20 or 5w30 is only allowed if used for rinsing or other non-automotive purposes such as grinding compound: "NEVER use 5W-30 or 5W-20 oil because it is closer to a grinding compound than a lubricant." --Louis LaPointe
lol.gif

Which oil would work better in cold weather (in a Honda spec'd for 5w20) This QS WB 5/30 or a dino 5/20 such as Exxon 5/20?

confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:
True, TallPaul, but I think in the case of this QS Winter Blend, the high VI number is generated by pour point depressants, not the VI improver polymers.
smile.gif

This is probably a formulation that is "built down" rather than up.

While PPD's can have a VI kick they are typically not used as a VII they cost to much and they are used at .2-.5% not much action on vis here.

This oil is most likley a GPII,PAO or GPIII blend and has a good amount of VII in it. You can not meet the cold end by PPD'sing the heck out of a thick oil will not work, you have to use a thin oil to pass the CCS then use a large amount of PAO or a good VII that is the only way.

cheers.gif

bruce

it's not sold as a 0W oil because the average consumer will think "i cant use this, it dosent say 5W".

and to those who doubt then go to canadian tire/pep boys and ask someone if you can use 0W in a car that specifies 5W. i can almost guarantee a large majority will say NO or will tell you it will damage your car.

i once had a mechanic tell me that using XD3 0W-30 in my car will destroy it.

Strange. The May 2002 5w30 data sheet listed the CCS numbers as 3750@-35, 15,000@-40, which makes it a 0w30. The newer June 2005 one lists the CCS as 3750@-30, which doesn't meet the limits for 0w30 anymore. It's just a good 5w30. I wonder if the firs datasheet was wrong, since the same number, 3750, appears in both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back