Quaker State Ultimate Protection Viscosity Accuracy

Who knows? Shell’s product data sheets didn’t match the Blackstone tests in these two particular cases.
What KV100 test spec is Blackstone referencing/using? Thier VOA sheet in post #8 doesn't say. Their VOA data sheet doesn't even list the correct KV100 in the cSt "should be" range for 30 grade. People seem to think Blackstone is the "gold standard" for determining oil properties. Keep in mind there are different test standards, so if two places are using a different standard, you're gonna get different answers. Even 10 labs using the same test standard may have some variance depending on equipment calibration accuracy and operator factors.

Yes I am aware - the point was the QS in question seems thick for a 30 and my 40 was on the thin side/boardline...that's all I was getting at....that QS has some viscosity "anaomlies".
Well, you do like to "promote" that thinner stuff, unless VW says otherwise. 😄 ;)

How do you know Blackstone doesn't have "anomalies"?

I find it suspect based on other shell products of 5w30
They are 2 different products,

Pennzoil Platinum is based on natural gas while QS is not.

Pennzoil Platinum is marketed towards high performance engines while Quaker State Ultimate Protected is marketed towards longer oil change intervals, I am no expert but for longer oil change intervals I would assume you would want oil on the thicker end of the range to start out with.

Well, you do like to "promote" that thinner stuff, unless VW says otherwise. 😄 ;)

How do you know Blackstone doesn't have "anomalies"?
I run 5W40 in 4/6 vehicles 5W30 in one and 5W20 in the other. How is that promoting thinner stuff? I promote running the oil that makes sense for the vehicle and use including taking into account manufacturer recommendations.

More than my VOA has come back showing the lower numbers on the Euro 5W40 I believe.

I promote running the oil that makes sense for the vehicle and use including taking into account manufacturer recommendations.
Manufacturer's "recommendation" and "what makes sense" isn't always inclusive because CAFE is lurking in the background. 😄
More than my VOA has come back showing the lower numbers on the Euro 5W40 I believe.
Again ... how does anyone here know that Blackstone doesn't have some "anomalies" or testing in a different manner than the tests used in the oil manufacturer's spec sheets?

Last edited:
They are 2 different products,

Pennzoil Platinum is based on natural gas while QS is not.

Pennzoil Platinum is marketed towards high performance engines while Quaker State Ultimate Protected is marketed towards longer oil change intervals, I am no expert but for longer oil change intervals I would assume you would want oil on the thicker end of the range to start out with.

Some grades of QS list GTL on the SDS, others just say "Interchangeable low viscosity base oil".

As I posted in a different thread, QSAM 10w40 visc. Is listed as 15.7 on their PDS but on their MSDS it is listed as 13.9 that is quite a difference.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is 9.8
Is it odd that they're both Shell products and both using GTL base oil and yet still a fairly large difference?
You’ve heard of different viscosity base oils coming from the same process, haven’t you? It’s certainly possible they are using the thinner viscosity products in Pennzoil, and thicker base oils for Quaker State, and blending the other ingredients to keep them both within the window of 30-grade products.

You’ve heard of different viscosity base oils coming from the same process, haven’t you? It’s certainly possible they are using the thinner viscosity products in Pennzoil, and thicker base oils for Quaker State, and blending the other ingredients to keep them both within the window of 30-grade products.
If it comes from a gas, what makes one "finished" base oil thicker or thinner? Is it the source gas or is the conversion process capable of producing a finished product that is thicker or thinner?

If it comes from a gas, what makes one "finished" base oil thicker or thinner? Is it the source gas or is the conversion process capable of producing a finished product that is thicker or thinner?
Maybe @Foxtrot08 or @MolaKule could explain some high-level stuff; but I assume even with gas there are heavier and lighter fractions that are separated at different steps in the process. Remember that crude oil is separated into everything from asphalt all the way down lubricants like WD40.

Maybe @Foxtrot08 or @MolaKule could explain some high-level stuff; but I assume even with gas there are heavier and lighter fractions that are separated at different steps in the process. Remember that crude oil is separated into everything from asphalt all the way down lubricants like WD40.
I did see a previous post from MolaKule where he talked about how the F/T process can be tweaked to produce different "weight" GTL base oils. I just wondered why with so much talk about Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 being one of the thinnest 5W-30s, why not use a heavier base as they do for the Q/S Ultimate Protection 5W-30? Obviously, Shell can produce it. Is it about factory fills and gas mileage? Is it just cost based? Or, does the viscosity of a base oil not matter as much as we might believe?

Contacted Shell, their response

Thank you for contacting Shell Technical.

This is to confirm that the kinematic viscosity of Quaker State Ultimate Protection Full Synthetic 5W-30 at 100°C is 11.7 cSt. The information in the TDS is up to date. Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Shell Technical Information
1-800-237-8645 (Option 3, 1)

This is to confirm that the kinematic viscosity of Quaker State Ultimate Protection Full Synthetic 5W-30 at 100°C is 11.7 cSt. The information in the TDS is up to date. Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
This oil can be a hidden gem at $22.97 at Walmart for a 5 quart jug of Quaker State Euro ACEA A3/B4 MB 229.5 rated 5W-40.

Quaker State Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil, 5-Quart​

I'll ask the question that I believe no one is coming right out with: how much variance is there in the KV100's in PDS sheets?
I have always assumed that the products only have to fit the viscosity range of the stated grade, which makes the stated KV100 in a PDS generally a moot point to hem and haw over.

Post #1.

Kind regards,
Given the J300 range of 9.3-12.4999 ... 11.7 is on the thicker range of 30.

Ask them about HTHS and Noack numbers. The real stuff. They are all hiding the Noack number these days. lol

Yes I am aware - the point was the QS in question seems thick for a 30 and my 40 was on the thin side/boardline...that's all I was getting at....that QS has some viscosity "anaomlies".
Maybe it’s Pennzoil platinum rejects.

Back