Quaker State Ultimate Protection Viscosity Accuracy

Not all 5W-30 is the same, even from the same company. What's the KV100 of the other Shell 5W-30 flavors? How do you know those others are "accurate"?

Not all 5W-30 is the same, even from the same company. What's the KV100 of the other Shell 5W-30 flavors? How do you know those others are "accurate"?
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is 9.8
Is it odd that they're both Shell products and both using GTL base oil and yet still a fairly large difference?

Who knows? That 11.7 Kv100 number has been around for a few years. I’ve noticed that other SP oils have a reduced Kv100 number than earlier SN numbers.
For what it’s worth, here is a VOA from an earlier thread.

Reactions: wlk
QA Euro 5W40 Euro tested about the same when I did a VOA.

Could there be a discrepancy between the tests and Shell’s posted numbers?
Is the reference test method number the same? Who knows how accurate Blackstone tests are (?). I'd think a major oil company would have high end testing to determine their oil specs.

Is the reference test method number the same? Who knows how accurate Blackstone tests are (?). I'd think a major oil company would have high end testing to determine their oil specs.
Who knows? Shell’s product data sheets didn’t match the Blackstone tests in these two particular cases.

I imagine they have a tolerance? So long as they stay within the SAE 30 spec window I suppose they don't really have to update their sheets. In one of the Lake speed videos I watched he said +/- 1 was meaningless - his comment not mine?

If you want thicker why not bump up a grade?

I find it suspect based on other shell products of 5w30
If you find it suspicious then inform SOPUS. It's the only logical answer. Tell them that even though their listed viscosity is well within the grade limit, you find it suspect.

Or just avoid this brand for one that is less suspicious to you.

Last edited:
If your VOA KV100 was 12.06, then it was a "30" grade since it was between 9.3 and 12.5 cSt.
Yes I am aware - the point was the QS in question seems thick for a 30 and my 40 was on the thin side/boardline...that's all I was getting at....that QS has some viscosity "anaomlies".

Back