Quaker State Ultimate Protection Viscosity Accuracy

I did see a previous post from MolaKule where he talked about how the F/T process can be tweaked to produce different "weight" GTL base oils. I just wondered why with so much talk about Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 being one of the thinnest 5W-30s, why not use a heavier base as they do for the Q/S Ultimate Protection 5W-30? Obviously, Shell can produce it. Is it about factory fills and gas mileage? Is it just cost based? Or, does the viscosity of a base oil not matter as much as we might believe?
Maybe they just want to use everything that comes out of the gtl process. Some of the base goes to QS and some to PUP.

Is the reference test method number the same? Who knows how accurate Blackstone tests are (?). I'd think a major oil company would have high end testing to determine their oil specs.
This takes me down a rabbit hole with respect to BS. We always quote their higher Flash Point to cite there must be more dilution than reported., but how do we know the Flash Point is correct? Or, as in this case, their KV100?

It seems to be fairly common that real world viscosity, isn't the same as is written on the label.
Recently I decided to use Mobil 1 0W40 Euro formula in all my gas engines.
From what I've read, that 0W40 label should read 0W35.

It seems to be fairly common that real world viscosity, isn't the same as is written on the label.
Recently I decided to use Mobil 1 0W40 Euro formula in all my gas engines.
Really. What are the viscosity limits for a 35-grade oil? Or are you saying that the Mobil 1 product falls outside the range for a 40-grade?

No such thing as SAE 35. All oil grades need to fall into one of these grade definitions per SAE J300. But I get what you're meaning ... which is if the viscosity is between the low and high KV100 limits of a 40, then it's a "35". This where the terms a "thin 40" or a "thick 40" makes more sense.

1689443668441.png

Really. What are the viscosity limits for a 35-grade oil? Or are you saying that the Mobil 1 product falls outside the range for a 40-grade?

Just from what I've read, and videos watched, it isn't the thickness that would be expected when hot of a true 40 weight oil.
It acts more like a 35 weight when hot.

No such thing as SAE 35. All oil grades need to fall into one of these grade definitions per SAE J300. But I get what you're meaning ... which is if the viscosity is between the low and high KV100 limits of a 40, then it's a "35". This where the terms a "thin 40" or a "thick 40" makes more sense.

View attachment 167107

Then call it a thin 40.
Which is why I said its about as thick hot as would be expected if it was 35.
Yes it is called 0W40.
Just not as thick as some might expect it to be at 100 C.

Back