QSUD not good for ecotec engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2012 Buick Verano with the 2.4 and it has 29000 miles. On my first run of QSUD 5w30 I just had to add 1 qt at slightly over 4k into the run.

Well I have a little over 226 miles on my QSUD 5w-30 OCI. First things I've noticed the QSUD is very light in color a very faint yellow amber. It takes some real searching to find on the dipstick. I suspect its going to darken in the next few hundred miles. But I'm surprised it hasn't done that just a little already. So far no discernible drop on the dipstick. But I'll have to check again in a few hundred miles but it appears that I have gotten a small change upwards in MPG. I'll watch that closely in the next few fill ups.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: nickaluch
I remember Benzadmirial on this forum had a Buick regal with the same ecotec motor using QSUD and it was consuming oil like crazy. Interesting

It did. I went back to the dealer AC Delco 5W-30, and seemed to have no trouble. The next change, this one I'm on now, was also dealer oil (though they said they use full synth now), and I've lost 1.5 quarts in 2400 miles. Same driving as before, 70% city, hardly a difference in any conditions. No visible leaks.

Two quarts of oil to top off in 5000 miles isn't going to break me. But it is puzzling.

PCV?

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Originally Posted By: nickaluch
I remember Benzadmirial on this forum had a Buick regal with the same ecotec motor using QSUD and it was consuming oil like crazy. Interesting

It did. I went back to the dealer AC Delco 5W-30, and seemed to have no trouble. The next change, this one I'm on now, was also dealer oil (though they said they use full synth now), and I've lost 1.5 quarts in 2400 miles. Same driving as before, 70% city, hardly a difference in any conditions. No visible leaks.

Two quarts of oil to top off in 5000 miles isn't going to break me. But it is puzzling.

PCV?

The 2.4 doesn't have a PCV valve you can change.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: urrlord
Different add packs if I remember the PQIA breakdowns of the oils.Could make a difference.

Both use Infineum additive packs. QSUD has about 20 percent more calicum.

I tried some calicum once. Tasted horrible.

What's worse? the cehelated calicum!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back