Putting a PUBLIX in near folks place

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a 'snowbird' I am familiar with Publix.
While their stores are spotless and somewhat upscale...their prices are nothing to write home about.
As much as I complain about NY, our grocery prices are lower due to COMPETITION (Publix doesn't have much).
For example, chicken cutlets can be bought in NY for $1.99 a pound regularly (sale price) while I never see such sales in Florida. Publix deli does make very good sandwiches and they always seem to have one on sale...they are much better than Subways...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Their ESOP retirement plan had made many employees very wealthy due to their private stock plan.

True. I know a guy that retired with like 1.5 million dollars in his retirement account after a 25 or 30 year stint with Publix. The stock is all employee owned, not public.

Originally Posted By: pbm
As a 'snowbird' I am familiar with Publix.
While their stores are spotless and somewhat upscale...their prices are nothing to write home about.....

That too has been my observation the few times I went in Pblix while visiting in ATL area. Nice clean upscale stores, but prices were out of my league.

In this area I prefer Harris Teeter. They also have large clean upscale stores, excellent fresh meat, and since Kroger bought them out everyday prices have come down significantly ime. Deli dept is also quite good with Boars Head provisions, and newly added pizza and salad bars neither of which interests me. Subs using Boars Head meats and the occasional $5 foot long special pretty good. Add the weekly and evic specials, keeps me coming back. In Charlotte NC market, HT and Pblix going head to head and at last info HT still far ahead in that very competitive market.

Publix stores are wonderful, and they have Boars Head deli meats which is always a positive. Around here, the only Kroger stores with Boars Head are in nicer neighborhoods. Kroger really has no meaningful competition around Cincinnati as far as traditional supermarket chains, so I guess they don't have to try too hard.

The only store I like better than Publix is Dierbergs Markets in St. Louis...great stores.

Boars Head is supposed to be tough to get along with...they apparently insist on having 75% of the deli display case, and the retailer can only have BH and store brand, no other outside brands, so if they wanted to have, say Kahn's braunschweiger, they couldn't have it in the deli department, they would have to just sell the prepackaged version with the bacon and breakfast sausage on the back wall of the store.

We really like Publix, its a great shopping experience. Terrific Bakery, good meats. However it is not our main "go to" supermarket as, as one would expect, everything has a price. So yes, when you want that special item, you cant normally go wrong, also things like Publix Ice Cream is a great product.

This might be a local issue to our area in South Carolina, we have three Publix within a reasonable driving range and lately have been a bit more turned off. I wonder if they are expanding and losing control of quality or not.
We are pretty big on fruits and vegetables, Publix puts on a nice display but in the last year we found ourself paying a premium price for a subpar product and have found our local sloppy Walmart super center (and sams club at times) has had far superior (and fresh) fruit and vegetables, you would expect at the cheap prices for it to be inferior but its superior and that was the day I started turning sour (no pun intended) on Publix, numerous times we bought garbage tasting fruit from Publix, we even returned it once.

Last edited:
Our local Sam's Club is OK if you want to buy in bulk, but WalMart seems to draw the strangest, slimiest people on earth as customers...our closest WalMart allegedly has the highest shrink/theft rate in the whole company. I feel physically unsafe at that store, especially on the parking lot.

Kroger was developing Super Centers locally, but has put those plans on hold.

Truthfully, I have found several really good IGA stores over the years, and like shopping local merchants, but there aren't any IGAs close enough to shop there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back