Dollar General Stores

Do they offer fresh food? Minimally processed food? Or is it another place with all the kinds of junk that are killing Americans? Most any junk store I’ve been in has been nothing but chips, sodas, canned, and processed junk. I happy to be wrong.
They sell what consumers want 🤣🤷‍♂️ Some locations do offer fresh foods. You mean like fruits and vegetables ? The store in the little town I live in does not but we also have a small grocery (former IGA) that does. A small village I drive through to/from work has a DG and they do sell fruits and vegetables. Difference ? That village has no grocery store. Another factor could also be that the store in the town I live is 1/2 the size it needs to be so they really don't have the space.

Double happy if the actual per unit weight/volume cost is actually competitive.
This is another bit of misinformation (that I've seen others spread). Dollar General sells regular size packaging. This probably comes from what actual "dollar" stores like Dollar Tree sell - they do sell smaller packaging for sure. I rarely go to those stores unless we need a gift bag or dollar candy.

Do you know what foods Dollar General sells ? You might be surprised.... I mean, it ain't Whole Foods but much of it is the same brands you get a Kroger, etc.

They sell engine oil - Valvoline, Castrol, etc as well as various ATFs (name brands too). They sell Tylenol and other name-brand medications, name-brand bar soap, shampoo, etc. They sell laundry detergents.

There's no reason for people to be afraid (or too good) for DG. I go there for certain items and because the stores are much smaller than Kroger, Walmart, etc so I'm in and out quicker. There's nothing wrong with their pricing either.

Yep. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I get my large Nexcare bandages from DG… which are actually truly waterproof…Those are great bandages for my Lupron intramuscular injection kids… I get shampoo there, soap, pods for laundry. All very well priced I might add.

“ Fresh foods” … is not their stores focus. I save that for Harris Teeter or Kroger or Fresh Market.

A new large DG opened up a mile away from us about 5 years ago. They seemed to have a different focus than another very old school one that I occasionally shopped in. The new one has much packaged foods, OTC drugs and many household items. Some of their store brand juices, etc. were a rocking bargain at one time. Even prior to gougeflation really kicking in, many of those prices had doubled. No fresh foods and what little packaged lunchmeat and frozen food that they once had has largely disappeared. That store seems to function as sort of a convenience store and low rent pharmacy. It's always spotless and well stocked. I've been in a few DG's out of the area that are totally trashed and filthy with most stock thrown on the floor. Seemingly patronized by tweekers.

The other, very old one has been around for perhaps as long as 50 years. It was the only Dollar General store that I had seen for some years. That one remains focused on the very lowest priced supply of many things. Not as much food other than isles of cheap cookies and chips. Zero frozen food or fresh. Much clothing of all types and household and even hardware store items.

A lot of people have problem with DG not because of DG but because of the customers, the community they are in. If it is high income they would have at least some supermarket like Safeway or Krogers, but if they don't even want to open there and Walmart / Target aren't, then DG represent the place and the shoppers in the area.

In my area obviously I don't go there due to price or the stuff they sell are lower quality (except those $1 children party stuff), but DG must be doing something right or they wouldn't be expanding so big and doing so well.

Ideally I would wish everyone has a Trader Joe's or Aldi's in their town, but that's probably unrealistic.

its the only place to find my toilet bowl cleaner that actually works on stains............................. rust stains.
Do you have a soft water system? If so you should look into a salt that has a rust resistent additive.

Seems like everyone who shops there leaves their store, obnoxiously pulls out in front of me, goes 50% slower than the posted speed limit, and turns at their first opportunity thus making me slow down even more. Why is this?

9 times out of 10, it’s either a rusted minivan or early 2000’s Buick product.
I remember this post and it was brilliant. Why?
People do pull out on you and do go slow and turn shortly after.

It's just a pit stop and most people have one or two plastic bags sitting on their passenger front seat. If they drive to agreesive it will roll off the seat to the floor... lol 😆 🤣 😂

You nailed it...

I remember this post and it was brilliant. Why?
People do pull out on you and do go slow and turn shortly after.

It's just a pit stop and most people have one or two plastic bags sitting on their passenger front seat. If they drive to agreesive it will roll off the seat to the floor... lol 😆 🤣 😂

You nailed it...
Also the people who go to dollar general and the people with money to buy fast cars or.pay for gas ain't gonna be flooring it everywhere they go.

The only thing I like about them is the $1 birthday cards. Beats paying $7 elsewhere for the same thing.
I stopped at DG on the way home on Valentine's Day to get cards for my wife and our daughter. They were wiped out.... Clerk told me that Dollar Tree nearby had plenty and they did. Best thing is, $0.50 each ! I refuse to pay $5+ for a card at Walmart, Kroger, etc.

I got a nice Valentines day card at DG for $2. I think they were stiffing people for the occasion. Usually a buck

DT here is $1.25 for everything
I go all the time for business stuff like ziploc bags and cleaning stuff etc. A can of mixed nuts and water and to talk to the gals...
I shop at several establishments, every biz has their deals. Select Dollar Trees around here have Oroweat, Thomas english muffins, bagels, even Entemens donuts and other quality name brand bakery for &1.25, elsewhere >>$3

DT is much better than DG. Bought a couple things there for $1.25 including 40 Curad band aids. I would stay away from their $1.25 hot dogs :sick:

I shop at several establishments, every biz has their deals. Select Dollar Trees around here have Oroweat, Thomas english muffins, bagels, even Entemens donuts and other quality name brand bakery for &1.25, elsewhere >>$3
I love going to them too.
I would never be too big of a big shot not to go there and don't give a hoot what others think. I appreciate the services they provide. I meet great folks there too.

Back