Dollar General Stores

Do you like them or not? I realize it is a bunch of cheap Chinese crap, for the most part and selection is limited.
We have one here and it is OK.

Town where I grew up is about 850 residents. Grocery and drug stores both closed years ago. Only choice was a Casey's General Store.

DG came to town and built a store. They have been a God send for that small community. At least you can get basics there and not pay Casey's prices.
Otherwise, they had to drive 18 miles to the closest sizeable town.

Seems like everyone who shops there leaves their store, obnoxiously pulls out in front of me, goes 50% slower than the posted speed limit, and turns at their first opportunity thus making me slow down even more. Why is this?

9 times out of 10, it’s either a rusted minivan or early 2000’s Buick product.

Do you like them or not? I realize it is a bunch of cheap Chinese crap, for the most part and selection is limited.

Town where I grew up is about 850 residents. Grocery and drug stores both closed years ago. Only choice was a Casey's General Store.

DG came to town and built a store. They have been a God send for that small community. At least you can get basics there and not pay Casey's prices.
I don’t like the degenerate people that frequent them… sure can ruin a nice neighborhood

My grandparents live in a small town of maybe 1100 now. A Dollar General opened up a few years ago, and it seems to be a hit as surprisingly it's open till 10 every night. Most small towns tend to close up early from my experience.

There’s one down the road from us (ok 11 miles) and I think it does ok, even though it’s across the street from a grocery store. There’s a few around.

I tend to avoid, too many have shown that their cost on times is higher on a cost per unit. I’d rather buy at a larger store, as part of my normal outings from home. Would I go if I needed one single item on the way home, or at some off hour? sure, but it’d the exception.

I won’t say they are evil, but I do put them at the same level as corner connivence stores, best avoided until absolutely necessary. YMMV in different parts of the country.

Some people that respond to this are showing their stereotypes. :rolleyes:

DG has been a great place to run down & grab some flour we ran out of or that McCafe decaf we want. Great for household cleaning supplies. Son buys the prepaid calling cards. It stocks basic common stuff that comes to smaller towns that may not have such conveniences nearby.

DG is often portrayed as a pox upon the poor, but in many neighborhoods as well as rural small towns, there may be no other retailer willing to operate a store.
DG does have some locations that offer fresh meats and produce and if there is nothing else within a reasonable drive, that is certainly better than nothing.
Not every town or neighborhood can support a Kroger, much less a Whole Foods. There is also the aspect of shoplifting and even armed robery, and DG treads where many other retailers fear to go.

@supton brings up the critical issue. Does DG have the buying power to have suppliers package less per ounce in many products, while giving the buyer the sense they are getting the same quantity product they would at a wal mart, Safeway, etc.

No question DG provides a needed service to many communities. The question I would want to know is DG's business practices/ethics.

Last Sunday I purchased easy off oven cleaner at a local grocery store for $4. I ran out, so went to Safeway, same exact cleaner was $7, I needed it again, so I paid the Safeway premium.Ran out again, went the wal mart same cleaner was $3. I was cleaning outside grills. But I suspect the same cleaner, if offered at DG may in fact be less ounces in the same sizes container.

Dollar General serves a purpose. They usually build in locations aptly called supermarket deserts or something. Where the population is too far from a supermarket but too small or rural for a supermarket. DG does have huge buying power but to fit in their cheap prices, stuff usually costs more per weight.

Last Sunday I purchased easy off oven cleaner at a local grocery store for $4. I ran out, so went to Safeway, same exact cleaner was $7, I needed it again, so I paid the Safeway premium.Ran out again, went the wal mart same cleaner was $3. I was cleaning outside grills. But I suspect the same cleaner, if offered at DG may in fact be less ounces in the same sizes container.

Not much difference between DG and WM per online prices on the 14.5 ounce spray.

1703117118449.jpg
1703117184845.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Dollar General serves a purpose. They usually build in locations aptly called supermarket deserts or something. Where the population is too far from a supermarket but too small or rural for a supermarket. DG does have huge buying power but to fit in their cheap prices, stuff usually costs more per weight.
I think they are great for this exact reason. I avoid them similarly how I do not like to buy food from gas stations, it usually has a premium. I'm lazy about some things, but not when money is involved.

its the only place to find my toilet bowl cleaner that actually works on stains............................. rust stains.

The downside is they put the general store or small grocers out of business who carry fresh foods and produce and then you are stuck with the awful canned, preserved food Dollar General sells. A $1 it’s not actually cheap always because of smaller size or portion

Back