Purolator PL14670

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warning: The following message is rated "E" for everyone and contains graphic content of a tear free Pureone. The following photographs may be dangerous to those with a weak disposition and/or those suffering from chronic Framophilia. Do not attempt this at home unless you possess a BITOG Professional Filter Cutting Certificate.
cool.gif

This is a PL14670 removed from the truck in my description after a 3000 mile (+/-) OCI (changed out early due to severe service off road.)

No tears, no cuts, no rips and the metal end caps were securely glued in place. The media was a tad wavy in some spots, but that is only cosmetic. The can was intact and the anti drain back valve was extremely pliable.

It did an OUTSTANDING job filtering out quite a bit of fine contaminants that were left over in the remaining oil inside the can and some that were left in the pleats (it isn't a sludger, I just ran a can of 5 minute motor flush to really clean it out.)

Feel free to browse and I will answer any questions you may have.

I dont have that chart memorized, so if someone could decode this it would be much appreciated! Enjoy!

3-4 vehicles I maintain use 14670 aka fram 16, I've only had 1 tear on dozen plus p1s. Looks good some reason I like the size of these, diameter/height
Thanx c&p

Last edited:
Look, one Purolator without a tear ... I guess they are all AOK now. From the looks of that cut job, I think you're cutting certificate should be revoked! (j/k)
grin.gif

Looks like a well made p1. I've noticed though the ones with the glued seam tend to look good and I'm not sure but don't think I've seen any tearing with the ones with a glued seam. I've always wondered why some are glued and others have a metal crimp from same company.

Originally Posted By: SLATRON
3-4 vehicles I maintain use 14670 aka fram 16, I've only had 1 tear on dozen plus p1s. Looks good some reason I like the size of these, diameter/height
Thanx c&p

I wasn't so sure about the filter design when I first got the truck. I was concerned about the height to width ratio and even considered going with a longer filter, but it seems to be performing just fine!
01.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Does your wife know you used that nice oak kitchen table? LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist

Are you kidding me? That table is made of Yugoslavian hardwood! It could survive the apacolypse! She is more angry that I use her favorite can opener than the fact I use the kitchen table. I am going to have to buy a real filter cutter soon.
grin.gif

Jk_636; manufactured in October 16, 2014 line "G" and 1st shift

Thanks for the decode. I thought it was relatively new construction.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Look, one Purolator without a tear ... I guess they are all AOK now. From the looks of that cut job, I think you're cutting certificate should be revoked! (j/k)
grin.gif

It is not just one filter, rather another in a series of filters that I have been posting since I joined BITOG, all of which have been tear free. I know how difficult this must be for you and your clan...
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
Looks like a well made p1. I've noticed though the ones with the glued seam tend to look good and I'm not sure but don't think I've seen any tearing with the ones with a glued seam. I've always wondered why some are glued and others have a metal crimp from same company.

All the ones I have ever used have been glued. Perhaps the design varies by manufacturing plant?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
grin.gif

It is not just one filter, rather another in a series of filters that I have been posting since I joined BITOG, all of which have been tear free. I know how difficult this must be for you and your clan.

LoL ... you must have at least a slight hint of thought where you realize you are not going to change anybody's mind here about tearing oil filters. No matter how many good ones you come up with, the bad ones will trump them every time. That's just how it works. I'm sure if some other brand of oil filter that you don't use started tearing you'd be all over that, but constantly trying to defend an obviously inferior product is kind of ludicrous ... but it's fun to watch.
grin.gif

BTW ... this PureOne looks "normal". If it would have been torn, then I'm sure the cutting process would have been blamed. Just sayin' ...
smile.gif

Keep up the good work!

LOL! I am happy using my Harbor Freight cutter
smile.gif
You are welcome for the decode also jk_636

I think I am going to go with the longacre or cat. I haven't decided yet. I used to have the HF cutter, but I never could get it to work worth a flip.

grin.gif

It is not just one filter, rather another in a series of filters that I have been posting since I joined BITOG, all of which have been tear free. I know how difficult this must be for you and your clan.

LoL ... you must have at least a slight hint of thought where you realize you are not going to change anybody's mind here about tearing oil filters. No matter how many good ones you come up with, the bad ones will trump them every time. That's just how it works. I'm sure if some other brand of oil filter that you don't use started tearing you'd be all over that, but constantly trying to defend an obviously inferior product is kind of ludicrous ... but it's fun to watch.
grin.gif

BTW ... this PureOne looks "normal". If it would have been torn, then I'm sure the cutting process would have been blamed. Just sayin' ...
smile.gif

Keep up the good work!

Say what you will. Just because you aren't convinced doesn't mean that others aren't open to being objective and seeing things for what they really are.

No matter how much you try, I always provide Purolators that are tear free. You still haven't ever provided an explanation for why what you refer to as an "inferior" product works well for me every time without fail. Perhaps it is you who has the convincing to do, not me...

No matter how much you try, I always provide Purolators that are tear free. You still haven't ever provided an explanation for why what you refer to as an "inferior" product works well for me every time without fail. Perhaps it is you who has the convincing to do, not me...

I don't have to try ... over 60 reported failures with photos says it all. Nobody has to convince anyone of anything. All the guys who decided to stop using Purolators did so based on their own eyes and brains. That's why no individual person will ever convince them to start using them again ... only a mass member acceptance of a rectified problem might do that someday.

So did you put a Purolator back on the truck? Looks like a Purolator synthetic? Good move.
wink.gif

I don't have to try ... over 60 reported failures with photos says it all. Nobody has to convince anyone of anything. All the guys who decided to stop using Purolators did so based on their own eyes and brains. That's why no individual person will ever convince them to start using them again ... only a mass member acceptance of a rectified problem might do that someday.

So did you put a Purolator back on the truck? Looks like a Purolator synthetic? Good move.
wink.gif

See above filter.
-New production
-severe service
-no failure.

Looks like you, futuredoc and all the rest have no excuse for this one (or any of the others) eh?

Lets just drop it. I accept your implied concession and inherent apology
wink.gif
. Not everyone on this website is cynical and people dont come here just to listen to two members argue the merits of a filter that DIDN'T tear. Lets try and stay on topic and talk about the filter shall we?
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Very impressive a $7.00 oil filter went 3000 miles...
whistle.gif

It could have gone longer. I regularly take them to 5k miles. (I dont do any OCI longer than 7k. I just dont believe in extended intervals.) I pulled this one and changed the oil because I had ran it pretty hard a couple times off road, and had some Mobil 1 that was burning a hole in my stash
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Very impressive a $7.00 oil filter went 3000 miles...
whistle.gif

It could have gone longer. I regularly take them to 5k miles. (I dont do any OCI longer than 7k. I just dont believe in extended intervals.) I pulled this one and changed the oil because I had ran it pretty hard a couple times off road, and had some Mobil 1 that was burning a hole in my stash
grin.gif

Considering MANN is a puro, you don't have anything to worry about (given no tear's happen), cause I took one to 17k+ on a Bimmer once. I have a P1 on the jeep, and plan to take it 3-4yrs ( about 5k, dirty engine, massive blow by, and wheeler), and on my bike for 2yrs, (3-4k because of tranny+engine). People don't give enough credit to filters, given a clean engine and no defects, a filter should last 20k easily. Just put my old wix back in for another run one Lexus cause it looked like yours after 5k.

See above filter.
-New production
-severe service
-no failure.

Granted, 10-16-2014 is "newer", but not as new as a few recent posted failures.

Is there a reason you chose the full synthetic Purolator - even though you don't believe is "extended OCIs"? My guess is because no reports of failed full synthetic Purolators so you don't want to risk a torn filter on your vehicles. Why not run a Classic or PureOne again?

Originally Posted By: robo339
Lol 3k miles what a torture test....

LoL ... yeah, another mile and it would have failed for sure.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back