M1-110A Cut & Posted 2014 Honda Civic

Good Afternoon Folks,

Thought I would post these, with the following details:

1. Mfg: Mobil, M1-110A
2. Can Caliper: 0.03"
3. In Service: 12 months, 3300 miles
4. Media: No tears or rips; some waving; filter media securely in place with end caps.
5. Leaf Springs: There were two (2) springs in place, which surprised me, I am thinking only 1 should be used?
6. Silicone Valve: Pliable, no issues; oil in the can.
7. Removal: No issues, used a cap.

I have the individual components if anyone has questions that may require looking at the filter again.

Enjoy!

RevRider

Attachments

• P8100165.JPG
    P8100165.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 65
  • P8100166.JPG
    P8100166.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 51
  • P8100169.JPG
    P8100169.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 52
  • P8100170.JPG
    P8100170.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 73
  • P8100171.JPG
    P8100171.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 74
  • P8100172.JPG
    P8100172.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 73
  • P8100173.JPG
    P8100173.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 66
  • P8100174.JPG
    P8100174.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 70
  • P8100176.JPG
    P8100176.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 69
5. Leaf Springs: There were two (2) springs in place, which surprised me, I am thinking only 1 should be used?
Yeah, I doubt the design is for two leaf springs. Probably a manufacturing error, but it didn't hurt anything.

Good Afternoon Folks,

Thought I would post these, with the following details:

1. Mfg: Mobil, M1-110A
2. Can Caliper: 0.03"
3. In Service: 12 months, 3300 miles
4. Media: No tears or rips; some waving; filter media securely in place with end caps.
6. Silicone Valve: Pliable, no issues; oil in the can.
7. Removal: No issues, used a cap.

I have the individual components if anyone has questions that may require looking at the filter again.

Enjoy!

RevRider
Excellent C&P . . . thank you! Except for a few waves the filter looks great. The bonus spring is definitely an auto feeder error in the assembly process.

What filter and oil went back into the vehicle?

Excellent C&P . . . thank you! Except for a few waves the filter looks great. The bonus spring is definitely an auto feeder error in the assembly process.

What filter and oil went back into the vehicle?
There's a little story why I didn't put back a M1 oil filter.

About 45 days ago I changed the oil in my son's Mazda 3, a M1 oil filter, either the 108 or the 110 was on it; it had rounded off fluted edges which made the oil cap useless; I tried using the jaws of death to remove it, and just made a total disaster out of the filter, so I had to tow my son's car in a Mazda dealer for them to finish the oil change. :LOL:

I was totally embarrassed by this as I've changed oil in my cars for nearly 50 years, and never had a problem removing an oil filter - ever.

I was so ticked by this, I said I would never install another M1 filter or use their oil again. I know it's irrational, but I was fried!!

I thought I would attach a photo it for your viewing pleasures. :)

RevRider

Attachments

• Mobil 1, M-108 Filter.jpg
    Mobil 1, M-108 Filter.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 78
There's a little story why I didn't put back a M1 oil filter.

About 45 days ago I changed the oil in my son's Mazda 3, a M1 oil filter, either the 108 or the 110 was on it; it had rounded off fluted edges which made the oil cap useless; I tried using the jaws of death to remove it, and just made a total disaster out of the filter, so I had to tow my son's car in a Mazda dealer for them to finish the oil change. :LOL:

I was totally embarrassed by this as I've changed oil in my cars for nearly 50 years, and never had a problem removing an oil filter - ever.

I was so ticked by this, I said I would never install another M1 filter or use their oil again. I know it's irrational, but I was fried!!

I thought I would attach a photo it for your viewing pleasures. :)

RevRider
I don't blame you in the least for switching filter brands!

He noted it was an irrational reason, which I agree. How is it the filter's fault for being installed too tight?
For what It’s worth, the filter was installed at 7/8th’s of a full turn, so it was in spec according to instructions. I installed the filter initially and used a black marker to note where the filter initially made contact with the base, then turned the filter the additional 7/8 of a full turn. :)

In my humble opinion, it was defective flutes, no doubt.

RevRider

Lots of clean oil on the gasket and three white knuckles! That’s all you need. It was improperly installed, either without oil or tightened too tight.

I've had to do that once on a neighbor's Nissan hardbody. Tore the can off and chiseled the baseplate at an angle to get it off. Saved his day for sure. I never knew the circumstances of its installation.

Back