Purolator changed their filter??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to get a Cabin filter for my daughter's Prius and grabbed a Purolator at Advance Auto. I always check the box and was surprised to fine rectangular filter about 5/8" thick with fuzzy cushioning ball around instead of the thinner filter with a thin flange to snap under the tabs. Thinking it was mis-marked I bought a different brand (DriveWorks) instead which looked like a factory filter and fit fine. Today I stopped in to get one for the Wife's Echo and guess what; the same thing so; since NAPA was about a block away I got a NAPA (WIX) filter that was cheaper to boot.
I normally go with the Purolators at AA but it appears that Purolator is replacing their thin molded flanged filters with the thicker rectangular style. The funny thing is, the instructions still show the old style like the OEM filters. I guess that they would work just fine as long as they fit the filter box but you would think the instructions would show the new style. I think I may switch over to the NAPA ones though since they look like I expected and are also cheaper.

Last edited:
Instead of this

Flanged_Filter.jpg

Purolator supplies this - They answered my query with installation instructions. It uses the upper tabs to hold it in place instead of the lower tabs. The filter holder has both type of tab.

Installing_C35516_1.jpg

Installing_C35516_2.jpg

Installing_C35516_3.jpg

Actually looks like a very nice filter. But given what they do I not sure its worth an additional $5.00. The flanged filter is 12.50 - 13.50 at NAPA while the Purolator is 17.49 - 19.99 depending on the application.

Last edited:
Your cabin filter is a good candidate for cutting furnace filter to fit inside the frame. The largest good furnace filter at 20"x30" for around $10-15 can easily be cut to 5-8 filters to fit your frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back