Propane price coming down

The traded price of propane has been coming down. The current traded price is $0.60 per gallon, down from $1.50 a gallon in March. This is the traded price, delivery, markup, tax, rope, soap and dope, are extra. Enjoy.

8C2439A2-C55C-4A3B-BE5D-8619AEF770F8.png

The news on the net is that China's rebound after lock downs wasn't as great as thought it would be so it's put extra supplies in the market & decreased costs. That & it's summer time.. 🤣

Thanks for sharing!

Keep falling, in a month I´m taking 425 gallons of delivery.
...and any predictions on the next winter? Trending warm or cold?​

Keep falling, in a month I´m taking 425 gallons of delivery.
...and any predictions on the next winter? Trending warm or cold?​
It’s more complicated nowadays. The USA exports 1.5 million bbls per day of propane and propylene. And it consumes just over 1.2 million bbls/day of propane during the winter heating season.

B72F4C91-A52E-488D-BD48-9499232649DC.jpeg
77C485FA-402F-444A-85E4-E82BC49F5AC8.jpeg

Last edited:
In addition to local pricing and seasonal fluctuations propane tends to follow with the price of crude oil. Here is a ten year graph of the traded price. The orange line is propane in US dollars per gallon and the blue is US dollars per bbl. When your gasoline price is low it’s likely the propane price is low as well. The black mark shows the low price of in 2015. You have to be lucky to have an empty tank just when the price drops.

F0DC7467-BDC5-4058-B283-201B3E60C4EA.jpeg

WalMart Blue Rhino exchange is still $19.88

IIRC it was closer to $15 not too long ago.
The spread between getting 20lb tanks filled vs. exchanged is starting to get silly, at least around here. Most of the Tank Trader (Blue Rhino equivalent) cages are labelled between $25-27 CAD for an exchange. Refills are ~$20-22. I had always assumed there was some economy of scale in these tank-swap systems as you don't have to have an attendant available to run out and fill 20lb tanks while trying to run a gas station. It would seem a combination of greed, transportation costs, and possibly money lost to having to re-certify tanks in the system has made things less simple.

The above is rendered moot as I just found out about a local gas co-op that swaps your non-expired empty tank for a full one for $15+5%tx. The tanks are in nice shape and include a cover for the connection.

$1.49 here on 300+ gallons

I'm not a propane user but I've also heard of people getting that price recently on larger quantities in Pa. In the past it's typically more in Pa. than many areas of the midwest. Some are paying more or much more. I've always been told that owning your tank is a must, for starters.

Propane may be the only deal around for the moment. I paid $2.99/gal. for heating oil recently and some are a tad cheaper. $5.25/gal. last Fall. I don't see that not rising again. Home heating Pa. Anthracite coal prices nearly doubled last summer and is said to again be rising. Europe will pay almost anything for it. There's also the 500k tons a year of Russian Anthracite that used to come into the US to the steel industry that had to be replaced.

The swap a propane grill tank places in my area have gone crazy. I haven't noticed any recently for less than $24 and some are $28. A local landscape place recently had a one-day tank fill deal for $7.

Last edited:
I use it for the gas grill, and I have a burner which is used either to deep fry or boil (it consumes a LOT, 80k btus). I bought a groupon for $18, that includes 2 20 lb. tank fills....

Back