Preparing for the double dip recession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I am wrong but my logic tells me that austerity in a shaky economic situation is going to make things worse...

How are you guys planning to prepare the looming double dip recession? I have not yet mapped out a plan so I'm looking for creative ideas.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I hope I am wrong but my logic tells me that austerity in a shaky economic situation is going to make things worse...

How are you guys planning to prepare the looming double dip recession? I have not yet mapped out a plan so I'm looking for creative ideas.

I agree. this is no time for austerity. Eat drink and be merry!

Why don't you call the white house and tell them to spend some of that 787 billion in shovel ready jobs NOW. It seems to me they're waiting to spend it until right before the 2012 election. Who'd a thunk it.

I know there are other factors at play, but I'm suprised the markets didn't bounce back once Congress came to a debt deal - I thought once that uncertainty was taken out, markets would have rebounded sharply to where they were.

I agree that austerity at a weak economic time is not a recipe for sucess, but if one faces the truth, the US (and many others) HAVE to cut spending at some point. Now or later, it doesn't really matter - it has to happen.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

Im not doing anything. I have been working and making my income throughout the "recession". So has all of my family and neighbors. I coasted through the last so called "recession" and I am going to coast through this one.

People need to stop worrying and do work.
thumbsup2.gif

I always find the smart people make money during these times by not dwelling on negatives and taking advantage of deals that are out there.

We're lucky, my dad is navy and has job security, my mom isn't going anywhere, she's one of three people, including her boss in the office, and she wouldn't get by without one of them. I work retail, which means I'm fluid, but it's tourist season around here, so they are hiring like crazy. Not everyone is as lucky, unfortunately.

I own my home, no payments. I own my vehicles, no payments. I have 2 large chest freezers full of staples, paid for. Our cold celler is stocked with non perishables, paid for. Hopefully enough cash stuck away for whatever.

Now if they just don't mess with the benifits.

Many a smart person has lost their shirts as well as the not so smart. It's the crooks, the politicians and the thieves who make real money in these times.

Just hanging in there....spending a little bit here and there, saving a LOT....I haven't completely stuffed my stash under the mattress yet....gotta spend money to make the economy grow.

What better than to drink it up at the local pub with a group of friends and some karaoke
wink.gif

Gotta have some cash, and some skills to make it, don't be dependant on government or one employer or job. Be psychologically prepared. Government is destroying the economy, world-wide.

Double dip will be here as soon as the fiscal year budget is starting. In macro economic if you cut spending there will be some effect just as if you cut tax. Who will it affect is the question.

Holding on to shovel ready job till the election? Do you have any idea how much time it takes to clear construction work? If they can they would have done it and look at how long those nasty public hearing, lawsuit, etc just to get a bridge rebuild after an earthquake takes, how groups use lawsuit to block nuclear and all sorts of infrastructure project into scrap. This is America and this is how things roll (with lawyers)

I am losing faith and my fear is coming closer to reality about who will pay for the debt given how much who is making and how much who is spending, and how much who is taxed. Retail will be sluggish for years and anything under the sun will be cut. Lower income will keep inflation in check due to reduced income.

The stock and bond market knows what's going on so the price didn't change much. Hey, if you got elected to the office the least you can do is tip off your campaign donors right? There are 500+ of them so who are they going to trace it to? Any investigation will be a smear campaign anyways. But wait, the country is run by campaign donors anyways, we have the best democracy money can buy, er, I means donate.

I'm going to move my assets into Latin America in the next several days, precious metal and energy is already overpriced and foreign currency is as well. I'm going to follow the Chinese demand so agricultural and forestry will be my pick.

I'm moving my 401k into safer heavens for a while. I saw this coming prior to the debt deal and something told me that that was not going to be the saving grace for investments. I just had a gut feeling and then reading all major new headliners and there just isn't any good news out there. To be quite honest, I'm surprised the markets got up as far as they did. Now I got to try and figure out when this current market will bottom out and then re-invest and hold tight for a while. Got smarter after losing lots of money back in the "crash" of 2007.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Why don't you call the white house and tell them to spend some of that 787 billion in shovel ready jobs NOW. It seems to me they're waiting to spend it until right before the 2012 election. Who'd a thunk it.

Actually, my organization has two small grants by ARRA and they push us all the time to quickly ramp up and finish them. The problem is that we cannot find qualified personnel to hire. When we won those infrastructure grants, the goal was to hire people and finish the project within a year.

That was 10 months ago.

Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
It's not a double dip. It's not even a single big dip. Rather, it's the new norm.

I agree 100%. Jobs, jobs, and JOBS. The last decade was built on nothing but real estate equity. That is gone now. I know most people think education and college is the key for EVERY young person to pursue, but the simple fact is, it's not. Decades ago, most young people who did not want higher education could get jobs in manufacturing or other more asset based businesses that provided a real living wage and a chance at the American Dream. Today, many college graduates can't even find a decent job that provides a living wage because they're overseas. The modern day equivalent of a "middle class" domestic manufacturing job 40 years ago is working at Walmart or the Verizon store. IT jobs that paid well a decade ago are becoming mediocre. Landscaping. construction, or agriculture? FORGET ABOUT IT. Illegals working for peanuts do those jobs and they're used to a much lower standard of living. Service based retail jobs are what's available to the average Joe for the most part. Credit is maxed out and people no longer have the ability to buy the latest Chinese trinket or triple latte 3 times a day from Starbucks. When upwards of 15% of people can't get good jobs and can no longer easily use credit to purchase things, the economy is going to shrink.

This is a structural design of the global economy that IMO has been designed this way. It's called globalism, and it sure was pounded into my head in college a decade ago that it's going to be GREAT for everyone.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back