Premium Petroleum Or Cheap Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I have a friend who needs and oil change on their car. They want a good value for the money while not spending $40 for an oil change. They drive a small hatchback with 45,000 miles on it. They have been taking the car to the local quick lube place and spending too much on a cheap oil change. My question is this: Would you use a high quality conventional oil such as Pennzoil yellow bottle with a Fram orange can filter from Walmart, OR SuperTech synthetic and the orange can Fram? This would be a 3k-5k oil change. I have already checked prices and in my area no autoparts store even will a sale can match the Walmart prices. Thank you for the help and advice.

How often were they changing their oil before? What vehicle is this for?

In general, the cheapest conventional that meets their vehicle's manufacturer's spec you can get your hands on will do the job if you are changing every 5k. If you are buying at Walmart, the sky is the limit when it comes to selection.

Same goes for the oil filter.

I forgot to mention, the car is a 2012 Chevy Sonic hatchback. It has the 1.4L turbocharged engine and 6 speed manual.

Originally Posted By: s1mp13m4n
I forgot to mention, the car is a 2012 Chevy Sonic hatchback. It has the 1.4L turbocharged engine and 6 speed manual.

I would use the full synthetic in that TURBO motor as it's known to be pretty hard on oil.
Also, make sure the Fram is USA made as some were Chinese when I had my Cruze 1.4T.

Use the walmart branded filter instead of the Fram orange. Its under 3$ while the orange can is more.
That and M1 or PP or even walmart syn will do the job very well and for cheap. Id run that combo 5k miles and sleep easy.

The reason I keep listing the Fram filter is that our Walmart only has Fram filters. No AC Delco, STP, SuperTech, etc. The air and oil filters are all Fram. We are in a small town.

Originally Posted By: pbm

I would use the full synthetic in that TURBO motor as it's known to be pretty hard on oil.
Also, make sure the Fram is USA made as some were Chinese when I had my Cruze 1.4T.

This ^

"2012 Chevy Sonic hatchback. It has the 1.4L turbocharged engine and 6 speed manual"

Doesn't that engine require Dexos spec'd oil ?

Last edited:
Turbo? Easy... I would get ST Synthetic, Fram Ultra and run the oil 5k and the filter 10 or 15k.

But US synthetic oil, in MOST ALL cases, is NOT synthetic oil by definition.

API SN/ ILSAC GF5 spec is a turbo rated oil.

"Synthetic" does not meet a higher spec.

You cold run a EURO MB229.5X list REAL synthetic - or just pretend you are running a synthetic by buying a North American oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
But US synthetic oil, in MOST ALL cases, is NOT synthetic oil by definition.

API SN/ ILSAC GF5 spec is a turbo rated oil.

"Synthetic" does not meet a higher spec.

You cold run a EURO MB229.5X list REAL synthetic - or just pretend you are running a synthetic by buying a North American oil.

Like US-made Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, Valvoline SynPower (certain grades), Kendall GT-1 5W-40 or Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra (specific grades).

Just to be clear, by US syn, infer an N.A. API/ILSAC spec F.E. oil.

We can blend syn in the U.S.

Mobil back in the day ( API SL?) was a very good tri-synthetic blend oil. PAO/AN/POA iirc.

The you have the Signature Amsoil.

American Blenders building ACEA manufacturer approval oils.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Mobil back in the day ( API SL?) was a very good tri-synthetic blend oil. PAO/AN/POA iirc.

Unfortunately though when it recently went from Group III Visom to majority PAO it lost Longlife-01, demonstrating that focusing on base stock is a poor indicator of performance.

With that engine, a full synthetic or semi-synthetic that is Dexos rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back