PPE 10R80 Aluminum Transmission Pan (Shallow)

Just showed up today. It looks good in the pictures, but man what a chunky pan this thing is. Thick in all the right places and appears to be a very nice casting with some smooth follow-up machine work. It will be a couple of weeks before I get around to putting it on (Plan on doing it and a new filter at 40K).

Sucks paying $300 to get a drain plug on your transmission, but ohh well, this will make my D&F routine sooooo much easier than using the fluid pump. That's mainly what I bought the pan for, I've never seen anything in my data that shows the truck needs additional cooling, even when towing 6000#, so this is mainly for the drain plug.

I already have the new MotorCraft filter sitting at home, and I think I'll order a drain pan gasket as well, even though it is supposed to be reuseable. My luck I'll tear the factory one on a Saturday and not be able to replace it. Would rather spend the $45 and have it on hand.

IMG_20230605_171407997.jpg
IMG_20230605_171418171.jpg

Looks awesome.

I know PPE pans are popular with Ram ZF 8spd owners. Perfect fit, excellent quality and increased fluid holding capacity.

Looks awesome.

I know PPE pans are popular with Ram ZF 8spd owners. Perfect fit, excellent quality and increased fluid holding capacity.
Yea, they make a 'deep' pan that holds an extra 1.5 qts, but I didn't really see that as necessary and got the shallow (stock capacity) one.

I'm really looking forward to just popping the drain plug and refilling to do a D&F. I've been spoiled by my Honda's.

If you want to change the filter, you either toss the whole pan for an OE style, or get a PPE and their replaceable filter.
Yea, I didn't realize that they'd come up with a replaceable filter for that. Knew that you had to chunk the pan, which I thought was dumb. Still, I'd rather have a ZF8 than a 10R80, but what can ya do.

Yea, I didn't realize that they'd come up with a replaceable filter for that. Knew that you had to chunk the pan, which I thought was dumb. Still, I'd rather have a ZF8 than a 10R80, but what can ya do.
I’ve been pretty impressed with the transmission. Biggest annoyance is the pan and Dodge put the v8 exhaust crossover directly under the OEM pan.

@ctechbob … why did you post this??? why man? You know I’m going to have to do this now. And I don’t want to, because of the stinking cooler lines that have to be removed. Argh.

it’s on my list. For later. But it’s on the list.

Bob. Sigh. :)

@ctechbob … why did you post this??? why man? You know I’m going to have to do this now. And I don’t want to, because of the stinking cooler lines that have to be removed. Argh.

it’s on my list. For later. But it’s on the list.

Bob. Sigh. :)
Lol,

You have to remove the cooler lines on the 150's? There's nothing in the way of mine. The heat shields come off and that's it. No exhaust, no braces...nuthen. :)

Really, the only reason I went ahead was I had about $150 in Amazon cash back to burn and I'm coming up on 40K which is a D&F for me. So it makes sense to just go ahead and do what I'd planned for 60K since we're doing a fair bit of traveling/towing this year.

Next on the list is a $600 set of towing mirrors. That's really the only other drawback I have with pulling the trailer with the Ranger. The clamp on mirrors are ok......but the Clearview ones are niiiiccceeee.

Logged some temps today going to pick up the camper. The first logging I did with my factory pan on a 78 degree day saw max temps of 201*, today at almost 90 degrees ambient, I saw no more than 193 judging by my spreadsheet, although I haven't had a lot of time to sit down and sort out the numbers.

I didn't buy my pan for the extra cooling, but it certainly looks like it drops temps about 10-15 degrees. I've got to sit down and pick through this many thousand line spreadsheet and I'll have a better grasp on the numbers, but it is an added bonus if it is shedding that head under the truck instead of into the cooling system. Should make everything else a bit more efficient.

Wow that is a beautiful transmission pan!

I don't blame you, it is just so much more convenient and less messy with that drain plug. And the fact that you are seeing decreased temps with stock capacity is just icing on the cake 👍

Ok, had a chance to sit down tonight and whip out some quick and dirty graphs, since I'm a visual learner. Thought I would share those here.

This is all data logged by Torque Pro. I don't know why the time is screwy on the 'unloaded without pan' graph, but I don't feel like messing with it since the charts get the point across.

This was captured doing the same trip, except it is in two different directions. I'll explain.

I had to take the camper in for some service, so the 'Unloaded Without Pan' is the return trip from the dealer with an already warmed-up truck. The 'Unloaded With Pan' chart is a completely cold start to the dealer to pick the trailer back up.

The trip FROM the dealer was on a 75-degree, misting precipitation day. The trip TO the dealer was on a 91-degree sunny hot pavement afternoon. I should also mention, this is a 48-mile trip, so there's plenty of time for everything to get up to temp, its not just a 'run across town' trip.

First, the Unloaded Without Pan trip (Already warmed up from the trip up and on a 15-degree cooler day, no AC running in the truck).

Unloaded WO PPE Pan.jpg

This is the trip with the PPE pan. The temp of the trans fluid eventually gets to be around the same temp as the coolant, but it is near the end of the trip where traffic was heavy and speeds were lower. Also remember, this is a 91-degree day with AC blasting in the truck.

Unloaded W PPE Pan.jpg

Here are the two plots for when the trailer was attached. Same trip as above, just the opposite.

These two don't show as much of a difference as the unloaded graphs, but then again, the truck was dealing with almost 20-degree hotter ambient air as well.

It is true that the trans is warmed/cooled with the vehicle cooling circuit, so the temps should eventually track the same and without having the temp of the fluid in the radiator the data is not as good as it could be, but...hey charts are fun to look at sometimes.

The trailer is attached without the PPE pan. (75f Day)

Loaded wo PPE Pan.jpg

This towing the trailer with the PPE Pan (91f Day)

Loaded w PPE Pan.jpg

Looks like there was an improvement in trans temp when towing:
I wonder how the B&M or the Mishimoto would do, especially with the extra capacity. The PPE looks like it has more fins that the other two for more cooling surface area.
I have to check if the PPE would work with my MHT version of the 10R80.

Since the 10R(X) uses a heat exchanger to cool the transmission, there has been some transmission cooling kits that bypass the heat exchanger to a dedicated radiator. The 10R(X)s (Solenoid) are design to run hotter than standard older mechanical transmissions.

Last edited:
Back