Powdered Whole Milk?

All powdered milk stinks. I don't think higher fat content will help. More oxidized fat causes more stench.
I was thinking that.

I was scheming of using it in various concoctions. Wife and maniacal sister use nonfat in coffee and cocoa and such. Smells of acrid vomit in back of the classroom

I sometimes buy spices from My Spice Sage. I believe they carry a pretty decent dry whole milk powder.

We used to get a couple of types of dry milk powder from Mexico, but they were purchased when one of us was in Mexico. Why mention it then? Because you may find the product in good,well-stocked Latin markets. Here we have numerous such markets, as for your area .... ?

Z Natural Foods in West Palm Beach Florida had a wide assortment of dried milk and cream products when I last visited, and my sister bought some when she was in the area last year.

Good luck, and happy hunting.

As ownership of refrigerators increases, the demand for powdered milk products should decrease, no?

When I was a younger, I drank Carnation by the gallon as a cheap substitute for real milk as part of an amateurish diet plan.
Several friends made fun of that.
Today I make fun of their vehicle maintenance, so we're even.

When I was a kid that is all we had at home. Our Pediatrician Made sure that was all we had. Only school lunches with real milk were great.

I sometimes buy spices from My Spice Sage. I believe they carry a pretty decent dry whole milk powder.

We used to get a couple of types of dry milk powder from Mexico, but they were purchased when one of us was in Mexico. Why mention it then? Because you may find the product in good,well-stocked Latin markets. Here we have numerous such markets, as for your area .... ?

Z Natural Foods in West Palm Beach Florida had a wide assortment of dried milk and cream products when I last visited, and my sister bought some when she was in the area last year.

Good luck, and happy hunting.
Huge Latino population in PNW good idea

Some brands on Amazon but bots reporting a stink

I used to drink powdered milk as a kid, thank you us government.

It’s always stunk and full fat will get oxidation.

Canned/condensed can usually be substituted and is usually slightly less bleh.

It’s funny to think powdered milk was once considered a modern marvel solving a problem for millions without refrigeration

Powdered milk is useful if you need milk solids only - for example when making chocolate. I believe the stench is mostly due to the powder being concentrated. If you reconstitute milk the stench should go away, although milk, at least to me, does not have a pleasant odor to begin with.

Powdered milk is useful if you need milk solids only - for example when making chocolate. I believe the stench is mostly due to the powder being concentrated. If you reconstitute milk the stench should go away, although milk, at least to me, does not have a pleasant odor to begin with.
Cover it with spice aromas you heathen

Powdered milk is useful if you need milk solids only - for example when making chocolate. I believe the stench is mostly due to the powder being concentrated. although milk, at least to me, does not have a pleasant odor to begin with.

Clean raw milk doesn’t stink (at least not like store bought which has a manure, listeria, burnt smell to me)

Modern milk (ultra pasteurized) and dry stinks because the temperatures used burn it slightly.

What’s strange is the strange smell/ aftertaste that tastes like high listeria/manure flavor in commercial milks and sour creams is only a recent development, not sure what they have changed in processing the last 3 years but milk now is very different than it was in the past.

Clean raw milk doesn’t stink (at least not like store bought which has a manure, listeria, burnt smell to me)
I didn't say it stank. To me, milk has a not very pleasant odor. It does not stink and it doesn't make me gag. Powdered milk is in stench territory. Even fresh, unprocessed milk does not smell great to me.

Modern milk (ultra pasteurized) and dry stinks because the temperatures used burn it slightly.

What’s strange is the strange smell/ aftertaste that tastes like high listeria/manure flavor in commercial milks and sour creams is only a recent development, not sure what they have changed in processing the last 3 years but milk now is very different than it was in the past.
It might not be the milk. Our bodies can change and affect our sense of taste and smell. A lot of people reported that COVID had that affect. Not saying that's what happened to you, though. My college roommate came back from an army tour of duty in Haiti having lost most of his sense of smell and it persisted for years. Whether that was from the constant stench or a tropical disease he never knew.

Back