Milk "best used by dates"

You folks are sure giving me an education on milk! Wealth of knowledge here.

I remember living on the farm. Bought raw milk from a milking neighbor. Never killed us, and the cream floating on top was great! :p

I like UHT milk. Usually Horizon in the fridge. They usually put a 3 month or so date on it - but I am sure it would last much longer unopened. Keep Parmalait in the cupboard in case we run out - but I wouldn't want to drink it directly - tastes a bit off. OK on cereal.

Of course once opened, you get a week like everything else. Its not just the UHT but also the container. No oxygen, no oxidization.
And the last part is crucial. UHT milk is shelfstable only if it comes in the appropriate packaging which is most commonly a Tetra Pak which provides an aseptic environment for the product.

Here we go again, MR Webster talking words I do not understand! :ROFLMAO: aseptic environment
An aseptic environment means a sterile* container in this context.

*germ-free

Even UHT milk still contains a few bacteria and after a very long time, and especially once the sterile container has been opened exposed to germy air, the bacteria count will increase until spoilage occurs. UHT milk should be consumed within a week of breaking the seal which is about the same as fresh milk. You may be able to get a few days more out of it but why risk food poisoning?

An aseptic environment means a sterile* container in this context.

*germ-free

Even UHT milk still contains a few bacteria and after a very long time, and especially once the sterile container has been opened exposed to germy air, the bacteria count will increase until spoilage occurs. UHT milk should be consumed within a week of breaking the seal which is about the same as fresh milk. You may be able to get a few days more out of it but why risk food poisoning?
Thank you...LOL! I'm just a dummy from Iowa. :D

James Van Allen, he of the Belt of the same name, was an Iowan. Also John Wayne.
Everly Brothers, Johnny Carson and Roger Miller as well. Buddy Holly was killed in a plane crash in Iowa. So we can lay fame for him also.
But you are probably too young to remember them. :ROFLMAO:

Now days, we have Caitlin Clark.

Everly Brothers, Johnny Carson and Roger Miller as well. Buddy Holly was killed in a plane crash in Iowa. So we can lay fame for him also.
But you are probably too young to remember them. :ROFLMAO:

Now days, we have Caitlin Clark.
You ageist! 🔥 I remember obscure people like Heraclitus who, I kid you not, is known as 'the Obscure' and who crossed the River Styx in the 5th century BC. And no, he wasn't from Iowa but from Ephesus in Ionia in what at the time was called Persia and which is nowadays the Izmir region in Turkey. You may have heard Heraclitus's proclamation " No man can step in the same river twice."

Last edited:
You ageist! 🔥 I remember obscure people like Heraclitus who, I kid you not, is known as 'the Obscure' and who crossed the River Styx in the 5th century BC. And no, he wasn't from Iowa but from Ephesus in Ionia in what at the time was called Persia and which is nowadays the Izmir region in Turkey. You may have heard Heraclitus's proclamation " No man can step in the same river twice."
We have a Persia in Iowa too...that count? :p

Back