Appley Fake German American Christmas Sauerbraten

Assuming you know the basics of cooking meats, please proceed

Crank large crock pot to high

1-3# Chuck roast (yeah not exactly traditional)
Sear until nice und braun in olive oil in whatever cast iron fry pan or pot works

Throw in the large crock pot preheated to high with browning bits deglazed with a bit of liquid (or do in oven in lidded cast iron pot)

Pour enough GIN in to 1/4 the height of the meat (I used gin because I don't have any juniper berries ) but gin ends up tasting nice in the gravy even if it tastes like nasty perfume straight. Real Christmassy.

Add a splash of sour apple schnapps, ACV, apple juice, spiced apple sauce, 1 whole apple quartered

1 large onion quartered skin and everything

2 large carrots, sliced or chopped

small handful of fresh chives

1-2 sage leaves

3-4 bay leaves

some whole allspice (to taste really)

caraway seeds (to taste really)

pinch of thyme and marjoram

garlic and onion powders

2 tablespoons almond flour

black pepper

adjust liquid volume with broth of your choice

Braise at decent temperature for around 6 hours. Until meat is very tender. This will depend on your cooking method. Remove meat temporarily - and cook and mush veggies (the apples will be dissolved). Strain all this stuff, mushing carrots if necessary, you should have nice brown nearly thick gravy with no whole spices, bones, etc. Remove any odd chunks from your cooking vessicle and put meat and strained gravy back in, return to low heat.

Aside from this make a thick roux with butter and flour and broth
Toss in a couple gingersnaps, 2 speculous cookies and a sprinkle of ground ginger (powder) and just a little powdered mustard stir and assess viscosity, adjust as necessary with roux.
Adjust salt and ACV to taste, add fresh ground pepper. Serve with noodles or potatoes, purple cabbage, greens and garnish of parsley

Enjoy!

IMG_6699.jpeg
IMG_6701.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm telling Klaus. He'll be right over. Make sure to have a few six-packs of Stella Artois for him. That's all the crazy Swabian drinks. The lack of juniper berries has me a bit worried for your safety. Klaus takes the food of the Fatherland very seriously! If he gets rowdy abandon him near an Olive Garden.

I checked my spice rack. for the spice mix for the marinade. I grind all the spices up in a blender. I put the spice mix in a fine mesh tea ball and let it hang from the edge of the pot into the marinade. 1 portion is one tablespoon. Of course, you don't have to grind the spices. The finely ground spices are convenient for flavoring the sauce.

I checked my spice rack. for the spice mix for the marinade. I grind all the spices up in a blender. I put the spice mix in a fine mesh tea ball and let it hang from the edge of the pot into the marinade. 1 portion is one tablespoon. Of course, you don't have to grind the spices. The finely ground spices are convenient for flavoring the sauce.

I pulled all the spice ideas from my head, you knowing what Klaus wants, are an expert. I am proud to have come that close! The mustard was just an idea at the end to give it something to glide the tang.

I pulled all the spice ideas from my head, you knowing what Klaus wants, are an expert. I am proud to have come that close! The mustard was just an idea at the end to give it something to glide the tang.
My spice mix recipe is actually lifted from a cookbook written by a Frau Von Schlittendorff. Presumably she'd be the expert.

With the exception of the juniper berries and lovage, all that stuff is downstairs in the kitchen.

With the exception of the juniper berries and lovage, all that stuff is downstairs in the kitchen.
Lovage is the dried greens of the wild celery plant but wild celery seeds taste the same. You you can buy celery seeds at your local market and lovage at European markets. The taste resembles a mix of celery, parsley, and caraway seed. You do need juniper berries.

Last edited:
Lovage is the dried greens of the wild celery plant but wild celery seeds taste the same. You you can buy celery seeds at your local market and lovage at European markets. The taste resembles a mix of celery, parsley, and caraway seed. You do need juniper berries.
Thank you,I like all stuff stuff its related to. :cool:

Back