Poorly Maintained Lease Vehicles?

I have been looking at CPO used cars and while looking at their Carfax reports, I was rather surprised to see how many cars had poor service history. Many had oil changes only after 20 or 30K miles--not good.

YUP.
Vehicles are neglected.
I'd never want to bet on John Q. Public even bringing his leased vehicle to a "bargain lube". (the assumption here is that 'bargain lubes' don't report to Carfax.)
This is one reason why CPO cars have the warranties they do.

Something just shook loose in my head.
Since John Q. doesn't maintain vehicles, is a selling point for EVs a notion that EVs don't "need maintenance"? (just charge the batteries)

Long before EVs, I knew a guy who leased a Jeep Wrangler. He said, "They're strong, so they don't need maintenance". (I swear)

Something just shook loose in my head.
Since John Q. doesn't maintain vehicles, is a selling point for EVs a notion that EVs don't "need maintenance"? (just charge the batteries)

Long before EVs, I knew a guy who leased a Jeep Wrangler. He said, "They're strong, so they don't need maintenance". (I swear)
How you treat the batteries is certainly relevant buying a used EV. Not to mention issues in the salt belts with EV brakes due to lower usage from regen. Nothing is safe from mistreatment.

Isn’t it the same as an apartment? Why would someone who rents something take care of the said property unless agreement requires it. Human nature will prevail.

For example, if I have a rental car for work for 5 days, I’m gonna curb it and attempt to not get dings. But I’m not gonna have the oil changed or run it through a car wash.

Definitely can't trust Carfax to that level of detail.

Carfax is only as good as those reporting information to it.
+2

I had a car I owned from brand new to about 320K miles before some kid T-boned it in his giant truck. On a whim, I looked it up on Carfax.... There was almost no data. Three entries, if I remember right, in 320K miles, the most recent being several years old already.

+2

I had a car I owned from brand new to about 320K miles before some kid T-boned it in his giant truck. On a whim, I looked it up on Carfax.... There was almost no data. Three entries, if I remember right, in 320K miles, the most recent being several years old already.
Very similar situation here, my wife's old 98 Beetle was listed as good to go on Carfax several years after being totaled.

I leased a '13 Accord.
Curious: How long a lease covering how many miles?

A Carfax Q: Do subscribers see them online or are they always just printed?

The Carfaxes on any of the 3 Hondas my wife owned before I met her had nothing but DMV data on them. She had dealership service always.

>>A grown man looking to buy my last car said, "Show me the Carfax" (straight from the commercial).
It was hard not to laugh at this nelly.
I played sincere and said, "Sure, take down the VIN (while pointing to the dash placard) and go to Carfax.com and they'll give it to you"

Why would one go through the cost of maintaining a leased vehicle other that if considering buying their leased vehicle?

In 2016 I was looking for a used LS430 2005 or 2006. One came up at a dealer asking $12,995, 2005 with 70k. Clean carfax, single owner, and dealer emailed me a pdf of what they did to recondition for sale.

Wife and I jumped in the car to look and it and ready to write a check.

Car was clearly hit entire right side and rear left. I pointed it out to the salesman: there’s overspray and the bodywork is terrible. Not to mention it wouldn’t start. He said yeah you can’t rely upon a carfax and wasn’t that interested either on the sale. But the fake invoice trick was nothing I’ve seen before in used car sales. It showed the p/n for the Dunlop SP OE tires, none of which were even on the car. It had 4 new off brand tires. New strut and new rear shock only on the right side.

I have been looking at CPO used cars and while looking at their Carfax reports, I was rather surprised to see how many cars had poor service history. Many had oil changes only after 20 or 30K miles--not good.
Those service records often only show what was done at the dealership. Some people take their vehicle elsewhere to have the oil changed.

Those people leasing the car also often agree to do the mandatory services recommended by the manufacturer. Definitely so if they want to maintain the warranty.

Curious: How long a lease covering how many miles?

A Carfax Q: Do subscribers see them online or are they always just printed?

The Carfaxes on any of the 3 Hondas my wife owned before I met her had nothing but DMV data on them. She had dealership service always.

>>A grown man looking to buy my last car said, "Show me the Carfax" (straight from the commercial).
It was hard not to laugh at this nelly.
I played sincere and said, "Sure, take down the VIN (while pointing to the dash placard) and go to Carfax.com and they'll give it to you"
As I recall, it was a 3 year 36K lease. Near the end, Honda was contacting me offering me deals on another car. I was at 44K (I think), went to the dealer intending to buy it out, but they gave me a deal on another car with no penalty for the miles. I bit.

I should have bought the '13 Accord Sport. Silver color. Basically a fancier LX. Just like this:
1704293178856.png

Back