Polaris Water Heater Tank issues

Looking for water issues. Check all your faucets when you turn on just the cold water.

My parents had issues with the mixing valve on their shower (the one knob version) and kitchen faucet (1 lever). O-rings went and even when "off" the hot was mixing with cold causing an issue like that. They would also get "warm" water from bathroom faucet when only the cold handle was turned on.
If on a well the 30-50 PSI changes will back up the hot water when the pressure drops. I found my water softener was getting hot from this as it's just upstream of the heater. So I put in a small bladder tank on the cold water inlet of the water heater. But then it was getting hot so I had to insulate it.

Way back when I put a check valve on the cold water in. This had unintended consequences but proves the value of the high pressure overflow valve.

The pipes in and out of the water heater should be cold when you're not using hot water. If the outlet pipe is always hot there's an unintended flow of hot water somewhere.
The pipe at the hot outlet is hot until it reaches the split that mixes.

20231218_200114.jpg
20231218_200123.jpg

Looking for water issues. Check all your faucets when you turn on just the cold water.

My parents had issues with the mixing valve on their shower (the one knob version) and kitchen faucet (1 lever). O-rings went and even when "off" the hot was mixing with cold causing an issue like that. They would also get "warm" water from bathroom faucet when only the cold handle was turned on.
Cold is ice cold. Takes a while for it to get hot when switched to hot position on faucets.

Ok thanks for all the help guys. The landlord has agreed to call a technician to take another look. I will be present this time to monitor and push the issue a bit.

Back