John Deere X300 - OEM Filter doesn't work

I have a 2015 John Deere X300 with a FS600V-BS21-R engine. I went to my dealer get the oil filter and he sold me the AM125424 filter. This filter does not fit my engine. It is too large in diameter. The previous owner had installed a Wix 51365 filter.

I looked up the online catalog and it shows the AM125424 filter as well. It also lists one other filter, AM107423 , but this is for the FH491V engine. The AM107423 filter seems to be about the right dimensions, but doesn't cross reference the Wix 51365 that is on my tractor now. Both of the aforementioned John Deere filters seem to have standard threads, while the Wix I have installed now, uses metric threads.

So what gives? Why does my tractor engine have a filter installed that shouldn't fit?

Could be the previous owner forced an ill-fitting filter on. Seems that AM107423 is the right one for your machine, according to JD's website. OR...maybe the previous owner swapped engines at some point??

Go to kawasaki website & plug in the engine information. That should tell you which one is right. That bypasses John Deere website which uses the tractor numbers & not the engine numbers. It may be Kawasaki part number but then you could cross reference it to JD.

Could be the previous owner forced an ill-fitting filter on. Seems that AM107423 is the right one for your machine, according to JD's website. OR...maybe the previous owner swapped engines at some point??
I highly doubt it was forced on, since the filter installed has metric threads and the JD listing has standard threads. In addition, the diameter of the face is significantly larger on the JD listed filter, meaning even if it was cross thread in place (which it is not), the smaller filter should not have sealed.

Go to kawasaki website & plug in the engine information. That should tell you which one is right. That bypasses John Deere website which uses the tractor numbers & not the engine numbers. It may be Kawasaki part number but then you could cross reference it to JD.
I just did that, and my engine isn't listed. My engine is a FS600V-BS21 but the Kawaskai Listings from from FS600V-BS19 then skips up the FS600V-BS22. Both these variants list the Kawasaki 490650721BK as the filter, which crosses over to a JD AM125424.

So at this point, I may just return the JD Filter and buy a Wix 51365 or Carquest equivalent. But I'd still like to know why my engine does not have the correct filter, and the one installed should not fit the engine.

You can put a SAE 3/4" threaded filter on the 20mm mounts but it won't tighten down properly. Cannot go the 20mm>3/4" though.

I highly doubt it was forced on, since the filter installed has metric threads and the JD listing has standard threads. In addition, the diameter of the face is significantly larger on the JD listed filter, meaning even if it was cross thread in place (which it is not), the smaller filter should not have sealed.

I just did that, and my engine isn't listed. My engine is a FS600V-BS21 but the Kawaskai Listings from from FS600V-BS19 then skips up the FS600V-BS22. Both these variants list the Kawasaki 490650721BK as the filter, which crosses over to a JD AM125424.

So at this point, I may just return the JD Filter and buy a Wix 51365 or Carquest equivalent. But I'd still like to know why my engine does not have the correct filter, and the one installed should not fit the engine.
I've seen that happen on slightly different models. Even when I rebuilt my Kawasaki 17HP it didn't show the exact model but still worked out. I'd consider AM125424 as the correct oil filter in your case. But what we need to figure out is what happens when you try to fit this filter on it? Does it not thread on, will it thread on but the sealing o-ring circumference is smaller than the oil filter base plate on the tractor?

Last edited:
It looks like this is what happened. The previous owner used the completely wrong filter. Although it doesn't seem that it was forced on. The threads on the adapter are in perfect condition and both the metric and standard filters thread on equally well. I never would have thought a metric filter would have gone on without ruining the threads. I ended up using a Carquest 81394 I had in the garage, which cross references AM107423, as it was the same filter my old tractor and generator use.

I've seen that happen on slightly different models. Even when I rebuilt my Kawasaki 17HP it didn't show the exact model but still worked out. I'd consider AM125424 as the correct oil filter in your case. But what we need to figure out is what happens when you try to fit this filter on it? Does it not thread on, will it thread on but the sealing o-ring circumference is smaller than the oil filter base plate on the tractor?
AM125424 is not the correct filter. The sealing o-ring on the filter is almost half an inch wider than the mount on the engine. I believe the correct filter is AM107423, like WavinWayne said.

It looks like this is what happened. The previous owner used the completely wrong filter. Although it doesn't seem that it was forced on. The threads on the adapter are in perfect condition and both the metric and standard filters thread on equally well. I never would have thought a metric filter would have gone on without ruining the threads. I ended up using a Carquest 81394 I had in the garage, which cross references AM107423, as it was the same filter my old tractor and generator use.

AM125424 is not the correct filter. The sealing o-ring on the filter is almost half an inch wider than the mount on the engine. I believe the correct filter is AM107423, like WavinWayne said.
Understood, Give the AM107423 a try & let us know if it fits properly. Thanks

It looks like this is what happened. The previous owner used the completely wrong filter. Although it doesn't seem that it was forced on. The threads on the adapter are in perfect condition and both the metric and standard filters thread on equally well.
Maybe they go on "equally well" once the wrong filter was forced on and the threaded boss on the engine reformed the wrong threads on the filter a bit. The filter boss on the engine is probably harder than the threads in the filter. Try spinning on a new wrong filter with the wrong threads and see it actually spins on with a normal feeling.

Back