Please help me find a good oil for my application

I'm actually starting to buy into the Euro oil stuff. There is enough data to justify the extra 2$ per 5 qt jug. Or spend 3x as much every 3k on oil that might be marginally better in a 7k OCI or significantly better in a 15k OCI - but will be absolutely negligible in a 3k OCI

1692041665510.png

1692041763317.png

1692041703054.png

M1 EP 10W-30 "Protects For 20K Miles*"
M1 0W-40 "Protects For 10K Miles*"
Whatever "Protects" mean ...

I have used both for 7500 miles OCIs. Mostly use the 10W-30.
Just based on experiences with 4 different engines, I prefer the 10W-30 and I know that it has no "Euro" writings! We'll save the Euro for the "Euro" guys. lol

M1 EP 10W-30 "Protects For 20K Miles*"
M1 0W-40 "Protects For 10K Miles*"
Whatever "Protects" mean ...

I have used both for 7500 miles OCIs. Mostly use the 10W-30.
Just based on experiences with 4 different engines, I prefer the 10W-30 and I know that it has no "Euro" writings! We'll save the Euro for the "Euro" guys. lol
I don’t think a very long drain oil is what he’s looking for. He needs the things that an approval like A40 brings.

EP only guarantees a long drain interval and not much else.

After speaking with a couple different intelligent people on the subject, the nearly unanimous consensus is that any engine that does not burn oil can run Euro levels of additives, which can result in a more robust oil, and therefore better protection for the engine.

API = lower sulfated ash = catalytic converters last a little longer
Euro = higher sulfated ash = if you burn oil, your cats will die an inhumane death, and PETA will be hounding you!

OK, the inhumane death and PETA were my additions. As mentioned a few times, the "performance-based" German certifications are much more stringent than API, and most happen to have "Euro" levels of additives (full- or mid-SAPS).

After speaking with a couple different intelligent people on the subject, the nearly unanimous consensus is that any engine that does not burn oil can run Euro levels of additives, which can result in a more robust oil, and therefore better protection for the engine.

Euro = higher sulfated ash = if you burn oil, your cats will die an inhumane death, and PETA will be hounding you!

OK, the inhumane death and PETA were my additions. As mentioned a few times, the "performance-based" German certifications are much more stringent than API, and most happen to have "Euro" levels of additives (full- or mid-SAPS).
Or use a mid- to low-SAPS Euro oil such as one with BMW Longlife-04 or VW 504 00 approval. Same HT/HS and other important attributes. Find one that’s also ACEA C3.

What ?

ACEA - C oils are low and mid SAPS. Still euro oils.
Only A3/B4 that is full SAPS.

Look up MB 229.51 or Porsche C30/C40 oils.

Mercedes OCI:
MB 229.51 up to 12.5k miles OCI - mid saps
MB 229.5 up to 18K miles OCI - full saps

But that is with Euro Benzine/Petrol, not Gas. But I heard you have close to euro spec. gas in most of US now.

Last edited:
Or use a mid- to low-SAPS Euro oil such as one with BMW Longlife-04 or VW 504 00 approval. Same HT/HS and other important attributes. Find one that’s also ACEA C3.
Your helpful guidance here on C3 allowed me to use 20 quarts of Motul that I got for a deal but had sold the car it was intended for before I used it. It’s currently running well in my Subaru 👍🏻

I was really leaning towards going with Mobil 1 0w40. But it’s high saps I believe. Is this an issue to use in a TGDI engine?

Hello everybody I am new here to the forum. But have read a lot on here prior to joining.

I have a modified 2017 ford focus ST.
It is a TGDI engine.

I am trying to find the best oil for my application.
Currently I am running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 API-SP (Resource Conserving).

Is this a good oil for my application?

I have read some threads on here stating to not use a resource conserving oil for high performance turbo charged applications. So I am curious about this because I thought Pennzoil ultra platinum was a very good oil, but it is labeled as resource conserving.

Any help from some of the knowledgeable members on here to help me find a good oil for my application would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
I have the same car like you, a 16’ ST1. Ran PUP 5w-30 in it but took it out as I noticed an oil leak. I personally believe Pup is too thin for this application. So now I’m running Mobil 1 Euro 0w-40 with a Fram titanium FE3600 filter, the bigger filter that allows you to dump 6 qts instead of the 5.7. That’s the only oil I’ll use in the car apart from splurging big bucks on hpl or amsoil.

I have the same car like you, a 16’ ST1. Ran PUP 5w-30 in it but took it out as I noticed an oil leak. I personally believe Pup is too thin for this application. So now I’m running Mobil 1 Euro 0w-40 with a Fram titanium FE3600 filter, the bigger filter that allows you to dump 6 qts instead of the 5.7. That’s the only oil I’ll use in the car apart from splurging big bucks on hpl or amsoil.

I would love to run Mobil 1 0w40 it’s a very stout oil for a high performance application.

It is a high saps oil though. And some are saying not the best choice for TGDI. But I don’t know if I buy into that.

High saps might create more intake valve deposits possibly? I’m not sure.

I know the new formula of Mobil 1 0w40 is API SP rated. So that is a plus to help with LSPI

Hello everybody I am new here to the forum. But have read a lot on here prior to joining.

I have a modified 2017 ford focus ST.
It is a TGDI engine.

I am trying to find the best oil for my application.
Currently I am running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 API-SP (Resource Conserving).

Is this a good oil for my application?

I have read some threads on here stating to not use a resource conserving oil for high performance turbo charged applications. So I am curious about this because I thought Pennzoil ultra platinum was a very good oil, but it is labeled as resource conserving.

Any help from some of the knowledgeable members on here to help me find a good oil for my application would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

You want the best oil for your application, which means the best of the best. SP is out of the question , you need an oil that either meets the CK-4 spec or 1 of the Euro Specs. We do have a certain member on this board who is using a CK-4 speced oil in an application that is speked for SP. That is his choice, back to your situation, you have a modified engine here, not a Granny driven vehicle. You need an oil with a good HTHS Number, which PUP 5W-30 does not have.

I would think Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 would be a good choice, but it is not the best of the best. I would give the guys at HPL a call and they can steer you towards the best oil that they have for your application. I am not an HPL Fan Boy, but I did reach out to a member here who switched to HPL and his observations are that this oil is better than what he was using before.

I have in my mind what the best oil application wise from HPL is, but Dave from HPL is better to answer your question!

You want the best oil for your application, which means the best of the best. SP is out of the question , you need an oil that either meets the CK-4 spec or 1 of the Euro Specs. We do have a certain member on this board who is using a CK-4 speced oil in an application that is speked for SP. That is his choice, back to your situation, you have a modified engine here, not a Granny driven vehicle. You need an oil with a good HTHS Number, which PUP 5W-30 does not have.

I would think Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 would be a good choice, but it is not the best of the best. I would give the guys at HPL a call and they can steer you towards the best oil that they have for your application. I am not an HPL Fan Boy, but I did reach out to a member here who switched to HPL and his observations are that this oil is better than what he was using before.

I have in my mind what the best oil application wise from HPL is, but Dave from HPL is better to answer your question!

I’d really like to stick with an off the shelf oil that I can buy locally.

If the high saps Mobil 1 0w40 wouldn’t be good for my application. I was also looking at the Mobil 1 ESP 5w30. It is a heavy 30 weight with higher HTHS and low saps. So I agree that it might be a good option for my TGDI engine.

I would still prefer to go with Mobil 1 FS 0w40 if the high saps content isn’t much of a concern for TGDI. What is everyone’s opinion on this?

I’d really like to stick with an off the shelf oil that I can buy locally.

If the high saps Mobil 1 0w40 wouldn’t be good for my application. I was also looking at the Mobil 1 ESP 5w30. It is a heavy 30 weight with higher HTHS and low saps. So I agree that it might be a good option for my TGDI engine.

I would still prefer to go with Mobil 1 FS 0w40 if the high saps content isn’t much of a concern for TGDI. What is everyone’s opinion on this?

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 would also be a good oil 2 use, do you want low saps or High saps? If the engine is modified and you are driving it like you stole it, does it really matter.

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 or Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30, really cannot see what the issue is here.

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 would also be a good oil 2 use, do you want low saps or High saps? If the engine is modified and you are driving it like you stole it, does it really matter.

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 or Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30, really cannot see what the issue is here.

No issue, I just don’t know a whole lot about all of these different oils and all the specs, but I want to learn. That’s why I joined the forum here.

And honestly I don’t know what difference it would make high saps vs low saps for my vehicle. I’ve just read that some people prefer low saps for TGDI engines. But I’m not 100% sure why. I’m assuming it’s just due to intake valve deposits. I’m not too concerned about intake valve deposits though. I’ve seen ecoboost engines with 100k+ miles without the valves being cleaned and the cars run fine. If I do ever have issues with carbon build up on the valves than I would do a walnut blast on the valves anyways.

I have decided on either Mobil 1 FS 0w40 or Mobil 1 esp 5w30 or the esp 0w40.

I’m just not sure which one out of those 3.
And I know it portably won’t matter. All three of these oils have good certifications that should definitely be adequate for my needs. I have just been rather OCD in picking oil for my car lately.

No issue, I just don’t know a whole lot about all of these different oils and all the specs, but I want to learn. That’s why I joined the forum here.

And honestly I don’t know what difference it would make high saps vs low saps for my vehicle. I’ve just read that some people prefer low saps for TGDI engines. But I’m not 100% sure why. I’m assuming it’s just due to intake valve deposits. I’m not too concerned about intake valve deposits though. I’ve seen ecoboost engines with 100k+ miles without the valves being cleaned and the cars run fine. If I do ever have issues with carbon build up on the valves than I would do a walnut blast on the valves anyways.

I have decided on either Mobil 1 FS 0w40 or Mobil 1 esp 5w30 or the esp 0w40.

I’m just not sure which one out of those 3.
And I know it portably won’t matter. All three of these oils have good certifications that should definitely be adequate for my needs. I have just been rather OCD in picking oil for my car lately.

Since you have decided 2 use either Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 or Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 then the only member here who can steer you in the right direction is OVERKILL

He might post here sooner or later.

I would love to run Mobil 1 0w40 it’s a very stout oil for a high performance application.

It is a high saps oil though. And some are saying not the best choice for TGDI. But I don’t know if I buy into that.

High saps might create more intake valve deposits possibly? I’m not sure.

I know the new formula of Mobil 1 0w40 is API SP rated. So that is a plus to help with LSPI
I just run the mishimoto catch can and don’t worry about valve deposits. I manually cleaned out the valves at 60k miles and I’m now sitting at 140k. Haven’t checked on their condition since then. I’m not worried tho.

You are on the right track. You have a 2.0l small displacement small turbo (high torque) gdi engine.

An API SP or equivalent oil (one that protects against LSPI) of a high quality which both the pp 5w30 you are running and the m1 0w40 you are considering are.

It is a myth that resource conserving oils cannot protect well...

So I have decided to go with Mobil 1 ESP 5w30.
It is API SP rated, and also has the more stringent Porsche C40, MB and VW specs.

I decided to go with this one because it is low/mid saps. So should run cleaner in a TGDI engine like mine.

I know Mobil 1 recently changed the ESP formulation, but the general consensus is that it is a still a good oil as it still meets some pretty tough specs.

I decided to stick with the 5w30 spec because while I do drive the car hard sometimes, it doesn’t see the race track. At least not yet. And my oil temps don’t get very high. And the ESP 5w30 is on the thicker side for a 5w30. It is a much better option than the 5w30 API SP-RC oils that are just too thin for a high performance application in my opinion.

If anyone has a better option for my modified TGDI engine, please feel free to chime in and let me know. My car is currently tuned to about 300hp and 400ft/lb at the wheels.

Back