Selling the condo - oh the joys.

Well after 5.5 years my condo is so close to the profit level I had set as my sell point so despite interest rates not being optimal I'm taking the plunge as units in my complex are still moving pretty quickly (under 30 days) and I want to cash out now just in case housing market takes a plunge. Unfortunately this means going back to an apartment with an initial 6 month lease while we house hunt (single family home this next go around), fortunately the apartment situation is pretty fluid so we can always extend if needed.

I will say having pets (especially indoor cats) makes selling a home a total PITA. Instead of trying to deal with crating and removing the cats from the house every time there is a showing along with trying to maintain a pristine home we opted to just move out before listing, while it will be more costly I am happy to dual pay until the condo sells. Side benefit of moving out before listing is my contractor can come in un-impeded to do fresh coat of paint as well as the little misc. repairs needed.

The listing agreement of the condo, coordinating the contractors and cleaners, hiring movers and getting the apartment lined up is the least of my stress right now and has been a total cakewalk (knock on wood). Trying to move these cats is my biggest worry right now.......I know they will probably have my murder playing out in their mind while we are making the trip up the road in the backseat of my car, they have lived their entire lives in this condo so this move is probably going to totally shake them.

Good times - just wanted to vent for a second.

Good luck!

Having moved with cats…. Twice… they adjust very quickly. It’s a 50/50 shot on whether they’ll like the car ride or not. 2 of mine did fine and just slept on our laps in the car, one growled menacingly THE ENTIRE 40 minutes and had to stay in a crate. We also had to catch her with a towel because we don’t declaw and she was going to take one helluva blood sacrifice otherwise.

Well after 5.5 years my condo is so close to the profit level I had set as my sell point so despite interest rates not being optimal I'm taking the plunge as units in my complex are still moving pretty quickly (under 30 days) and I want to cash out now just in case housing market takes a plunge. Unfortunately this means going back to an apartment with an initial 6 month lease while we house hunt (single family home this next go around), fortunately the apartment situation is pretty fluid so we can always extend if needed.

I will say having pets (especially indoor cats) makes selling a home a total PITA. Instead of trying to deal with crating and removing the cats from the house every time there is a showing along with trying to maintain a pristine home we opted to just move out before listing, while it will be more costly I am happy to dual pay until the condo sells. Side benefit of moving out before listing is my contractor can come in un-impeded to do fresh coat of paint as well as the little misc. repairs needed.

The listing agreement of the condo, coordinating the contractors and cleaners, hiring movers and getting the apartment lined up is the least of my stress right now and has been a total cakewalk (knock on wood). Trying to move these cats is my biggest worry right now.......I know they will probably have my murder playing out in their mind while we are making the trip up the road in the backseat of my car, they have lived their entire lives in this condo so this move is probably going to totally shake them.

Good times - just wanted to vent for a second.
Moving to the suburbs eh? Any place in particular or leaving Atlanta completely?

You do know they have cat boarding places right? Just board them for a few weeks while you have open houses. I have a great one near me where I drop my cat off when I leave town. They have multiple sizes of rooms.

IMG_0232.jpeg

IMG_0233.jpeg

Moving to the suburbs eh? Any place in particular or leaving Atlanta completely?
Going to the burbs eventually. Apartments we are looking at are still ITP (Shallowford & I-85) so will still be in the city for the next 6ish months while we house hunt. If we have to extend lease than so be it.

Looking at Stone Mountain, Decatur, Tucker, Lithonia.....some of the eastern burbs you can still get a decent single family home with garage for under $325k. Right now there is a lot of bang for the buck and we both can deal with the commute as we are both so much done with condo life and living this close to the city. 11 years living within the core of Atlanta has given me more than my fill, its time for me to get out.

Good luck!

Having moved with cats…. Twice… they adjust very quickly. It’s a 50/50 shot on whether they’ll like the car ride or not. 2 of mine did fine and just slept on our laps in the car, one growled menacingly THE ENTIRE 40 minutes and had to stay in a crate. We also had to catch her with a towel because we don’t declaw and she was going to take one helluva blood sacrifice otherwise.

Thank you for the positive heads up! Hoping for the best but planning for the worst. Outside them coming home (this has been their only home) they have never been in crates since so thinking tossing some Temptations into a crate might work.......hopefully! :ROFLMAO: I know it should work ok with two of them but one is a B from hell so have a feeling she is going to be the problem.

Don't stress about moving the cats, they'll adjust. Your pets sense your state of mind so they'll pick up your nervousness, be as positive about them and around them it will be fine. Good luck with the whole process.

Thank you! We are stying calm cool and collected with the move so far so like you said hope it rubs off on the felines.

Unless your cats are schizoids, they'll adjust to the new home.
Aren't most cats schizoids? :ROFLMAO: Honestly one of ours thinks he is a dog and just does whatever you kinda guide him to do........the other two no freakin way, they do what they want and will absolutely not be told what to do without a fight.

Going to the burbs eventually. Apartments we are looking at are still ITP (Shallowford & I-85) so will still be in the city for the next 6ish months while we house hunt. If we have to extend lease than so be it.

Looking at Stone Mountain, Decatur, Tucker, Lithonia.....some of the eastern burbs you can still get a decent single family home with garage for under $325k. Right now there is a lot of bang for the buck and we both can deal with the commute as we are both so much done with condo life and living this close to the city. 11 years living within the core of Atlanta has given me more than my fill, its time for me to get out.

I thought housing was difficult to find especially a house under $325K ?

Long time ago my brother was living in Marietta near military base, he was in the Navy.

I thought housing was difficult to find especially a house under $325K ?

Long time ago my brother was living in Marietta near military base, he was in the Navy.

Oh there is still quite a bit out there in the under $325k range its just way out in the burbs. Not to mention I actually enjoy doing home improvement projects so even severely dated homes are not a turnoff to me, turnkey is not a must just as long as its structurally sound and the mechanicals, roof, plumbing, electrical are in decent condition. Depending on where we land my commute will be going from 10 minutes to 45+ minutes so that is the tradeoff for reasonable pricing and not living in multifamily attached housing or dealing with all the Atlanta and Fulton county bull$%#@. Trying to secure a single family w/garage and keep my commute the same would push me into the $500-750k range so that is a complete non-starter unless I win the lottery...I don't play lotto or gamble so that won't be happening. :ROFLMAO:

Back