"Park Outside" Recalls Are Soaring

Interesting that they don't mention what percentage are EV's? I've never heard of such a thing before EV's came along.

Hasn’t there been at least one gas powered vehicle with a park outside recall?
That's what I'm trying to determine. I understand there are recalls left and right on many makes and models. Both ICE and EV. I'm trying to distinguish if there are any ICE vehicles specifically that have had, "Park Outside" recalls on them. Or, are they all EV.... The article doesn't determine that.

These are the two recent ones other than the Hyundai recall.

And an older one that affected EVs was for the Chevy Bolt. It's been mentioned here where some people got new batteries where the replacement battery came with a new warranty.

Hasn’t there been at least one gas powered vehicle with a park outside recall?
Yep my BMW 3-series had one due to a fire risk for the PCV heater.

These park outside recalls are because too many manufacturers are getting sued for cars burning to the ground and destroying homes.

I went on a road trip two years ago, and just driving to and from NC I saw 5 car fires which seemed insane to me.

My understanding is, "park outside" warnings are very rare. Generally a fluid leak, like brake fluid, can cause an electrical short. Certainly EVs present a new set of risks, such as the Bolt recall.

These are the two recent ones other than the Hyundai recall.

And an older one that affected EVs was for the Chevy Bolt. It's been mentioned here where some people got new batteries where the replacement battery came with a new warranty.

GM really came through on that warranty starting over on the Bolt battery recall. But given they don’t even have replacement batteries for first gen Volts do we really think they’ll have warranty replacement batteries for Bolts in 2031? Or will they be used/rebuilt?

GM really came through on that warranty starting over on the Bolt battery recall. But given they don’t even have replacement batteries for first gen Volts do we really think they’ll have warranty replacement batteries for Bolts in 2031? Or will they be used/rebuilt?

My guess is that they'll probably install a rebuilt battery pack at that point.

Most battery warranties don't require a brand new battery as a replacement anyways. They could theoretically rebuild/repair the existing pack. I found Tesla's terms:

If your Battery or Drive Unit requires warranty service, Tesla will repair the unit, or replace it with a factory reconditioned unit. When replacing a Battery, Tesla will ensure that the energy capacity of the replacement Battery is at least equal to that of the original Battery before the failure occurred. To provide you with even more assurance, this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty will also cover damage to your vehicle from a Battery fire even if it is the result of driver error. (Coverage will not extend to damage that had already been sustained before a Battery fire occurred, or to any damage if the Battery fire occurred after your vehicle had already been totaled.) Your vehicle’s Battery and Drive Unit are covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty for a period of 8 years, unlimited miles/km, with the exception of the 60 kWh battery which is covered for 8 years or 125,000 miles/200,000 km, whichever comes first.​

Not sure exactly how this works. Some battery warranties might be from total failure, so obviously they can check the diagnostics to see what the battery capacity was at the time of the failure. But if it drops to less than 70% (Tesla's standard) then I suppose the requirement would be to repair/replace to the point where it's above 70%, but likely where they believe the rebuilt pack should stay above 70% until the end of the warranty. It doesn't sound like a new replacement is required that would restore to 100%.

Interesting that they don't mention what percentage are EV's? I've never heard of such a thing before EV's came along.

The article makes no mention of EVs and this belongs in other forum…..

Vehicle fires make neat press especially anti EV crowd. The only car I have seen 4 times on fire over course of 30 years driving is Fiero…..

That's what I'm trying to determine. I understand there are recalls left and right on many makes and models. Both ICE and EV. I'm trying to distinguish if there are any ICE vehicles specifically that have had, "Park Outside" recalls on them. Or, are they all EV.... The article doesn't determine that.
Yes. Every single manufacturer has had some form of recall on park outside fires. The vast majority have been ICE. I’d compile the list of stories showing this, but I did that probably 6-8 months ago and I really don’t feel like repeating myself.

I think that’s the first thing any manufacturer does no matter how big or small the fire risk is. It’s a CYA move in case something would happen.

A previous thread.

My guess is that they'll probably install a rebuilt battery pack at that point.

Most battery warranties don't require a brand new battery as a replacement anyways. They could theoretically rebuild/repair the existing pack. I found Tesla's terms:

If your Battery or Drive Unit requires warranty service, Tesla will repair the unit, or replace it with a factory reconditioned unit. When replacing a Battery, Tesla will ensure that the energy capacity of the replacement Battery is at least equal to that of the original Battery before the failure occurred. To provide you with even more assurance, this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty will also cover damage to your vehicle from a Battery fire even if it is the result of driver error. (Coverage will not extend to damage that had already been sustained before a Battery fire occurred, or to any damage if the Battery fire occurred after your vehicle had already been totaled.) Your vehicle’s Battery and Drive Unit are covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty for a period of 8 years, unlimited miles/km, with the exception of the 60 kWh battery which is covered for 8 years or 125,000 miles/200,000 km, whichever comes first.​

Not sure exactly how this works. Some battery warranties might be from total failure, so obviously they can check the diagnostics to see what the battery capacity was at the time of the failure. But if it drops to less than 70% (Tesla's standard) then I suppose the requirement would be to repair/replace to the point where it's above 70%, but likely where they believe the rebuilt pack should stay above 70% until the end of the warranty. It doesn't sound like a new replacement is required that would restore to 100%.

I know on some Tesla packs the cells are all glued so you can't "rebuild" the pack easily but on Volt, Bolt, as well as the new Ultium stuff, I think they could do module swaps at the dealer. I read a few people in Volt FB groups who had modules replaced on their batteries under warranty vs the whole battery had quiet poor cell balance after that when read via OBD2/apps.

Back