Overtime at work, how it works at your job ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
This time last year we were letting people go.
Currently we're behind the eight ball... too many chiefs and not enough workers.
We're on a "work as long as you can" routine for all, but especially for our field techs.
They are encouraged to work 10-20 hrs overtime(or more)every weeks if they want.
I'm pulling 5-10 hours a week overtime ,pays time and a half of our hourly rate.

Sometimes its either feast or famine. If crew is short staffed then OT is expected from boss.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Overtime pay... what's that?
Indeed!

Ain't that the truth .... What is OT pay? Lol

All the OT you want to do, but it pays the same as a 40-hour week.
grin2.gif

We have some government-mandated deadlines so OT is a given at certain times of the year. Fortunately my current manager is reasonable and while she can't give us all the OT back as comp-time, she sees to it that we get some breaks when workload allows.

Unlike my last manager who ignored any OT worked and demanded that if you needed to come in late or leave early for, say a doctor appointment, you had to either make up those hours or take PTO.

We are supposed to keep our OT down, and we are consistently the worst store in our district for OT use which is for a variety of reasons. Ive been doing 7-5 daily for a few weeks now. Pays 1.5x. Our manager starts getting laid over the coals for it so he pulls everyone back to no OT. Inevitably we get behind so it doesnt last and usually are back at long hours by the next week.

Last edited:
I'm salaried so no overtime pay. Some weeks I work 40 hours and some works I work 60+ hours depending on my workload. Last month I worked at least one day each weekend...some nights I was in the office until 2am. I'm in consulting and it can be feast or famine in my line of work. When things are slow I try and take it as easy as I can anticipating the next period of crazy workload. The past few weeks I've worked nearly straight 40 hour weeks - feels like vacation.

Here, if overtime is required I just get permission from my boss. 1.5x pay for hours after 40 per week. If you reach 50 hours, then it's 2x starting from there. I never had to reach 50.

I also have to be on call 24/7. If I can fix it from home or guide someone on the phone to do it, it's 1 hour or the real time it took, whichever is highest. If I have to go on site to fix things up, it's 3 hours or real time, whichever is highest again.

However, I only average about 20 hours OT per YEAR and I get 3 to 4 calls per year. Planned OT is only for stuff that CAN'T be done during business hours due to the downtime it will or could cause. If I'm working on something that is not critical by the end of the day, I'll stop there and resume the next day.

I don't and won't work OT unless paid. Work tried to put me on a project that has a requirement to work 10.5 hours workdays and meetings on Saturdays and Sundays, and I told them that I would walk if they tried to do that, and I got my way. Still here and not working unpaid OT.

OT is at 1.5 and is delivered in comp time only.

We are short staffed and it can be a monster trying to get approval for time off. It's just like that in my line of work. I avoid OT if possible and work it when necessary. Still, the job gets 2-5 hours of my personal time a week and has for over 20 years. Nature of the beast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
JTK,

It forgot to say:
It's $300 a week On Call pay, even if you don't get called in.
If you get called in you get an additional 4 hours of pay for each dispatch call.

That's the rules for us and we have 2 hours to arrive on site for any call.

I asked this question because the end of the year is always busy for most industries.

Got it. That's pretty sweet.

If we get called in, it's 4hrs minimum pay, which could be 1.5x if you're over 40hrs for the week. In 20+ yrs I've never been out of there in under 4 unfortunately.

Strictly voluntary, not for me, 4 ten hour days are long enough for these old bones.
lol.gif

Pfft, I'm commission/override/bonus so OT is not on my radar. My wife, on the other hand is a labor & delivery nurse and makes big money when they really need bodies. At one point last December, she was making nearly $100 an hour between normal wage, OT, shift differential for nights and weekends and a spiff because they were so short-handed.

When I worked for a Coca Cola bottler back in the 90s, the Teamster drivers made regular time up to 40 hours, 1.5 on hours 41-60, and double time over 60 hours.

Yes, nurses can make very good $$$$.

They work her butt off, but she LOVES being at the bedside and she'll always be able to find a job. My income is hit-or-miss, with a large dose of seasonality, so my monthly gross income can vary by $10k between good and bad months...thank heaven for her steady income.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
Yes, nurses can make very good $$$$.

They work her butt off, but she LOVES being at the bedside and she'll always be able to find a job. My income is hit-or-miss, with a large dose of seasonality, so my monthly gross income can vary by $10k between good and bad months...thank heaven for her steady income.

When are the good months? Good thing for a base though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back