Overtime at work, how it works at your job ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
There are managers in retail chain stores that get a bonus based on keeping hours below the level that triggers benefits and that includes avoiding overtime.

Many years ago I was paid as a contract programmer to analyze work hours for the purpose of determining bonus payments.

One of the stores constantly outperformed all the other stores in every manner one would use to evaluate employee performance and the overall cost of labor. Payroll was always the biggest expense in running the business. The manager here made sure everyone worked full weeks, got benefits and in meetings with employees always discussed the idea of working overtime or expanding the staff and cross-training to allow employees to work overtime in different job assignments. It was apparent that a slight boost in attitude and job satisfaction has a lot of benefits when it comes to on the job performance and efficiency. With all this going for the manager he was disciplined for violating company procedures and guidelines after the program was installed. He left and I never did find out how he did. A lot of the employees soon followed. No good deed goes unpunished.

One form of management in some environments amounts to nothing more than blindly enforcing rules. This manager should have been promoted but the management above him followed the rules.

I worked for a large retail chain ~10 years ago. We had one top-store manager who figured out how to play the bonuses just right. She knew she wasn't able to hit both sales and labor in the same month. So, one month, we would all get 10 hours a week. The store would look bare and customers would literally ask us if we were going out of business. Then, the next month, overtime! She would hit her sales goals.

So frustrating. I felt bad for people who really needed that income.

Salary. I am on call and once or twice a week get called in middle of the night to fix a computer issue. I fix it and go back to bed. Its just expected. If I worked a whole weekend day I would probably shift my 5 days to include a weekend day.

I work for a large LED manufacturer maintaining the production line equipment. OT is built into our 11.5 hour shifts. We only work off shift if there is a need. If you work the Holiday you get time and a half for hours worked plus 8 hours of Holiday pay. We rarely shut down and when we do I have to work since I'm the one shutting everything down and starting it back up.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Since I'm a FT Teamster, I get time and a half if I work any time before or after my scheduled shift. I get it even if I didn't work 40 hours that week. I rarely get OT, but I always get my hours. The UPS parcel drivers are making out big on OT at my hub. I make more per hour, they make more per year.

Teamsters have good benefits because of the union, which is a good thing.

No OT for me, I'm salary these days. I do get 9 weeks of vacation every year though so I can live with that.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: JTK
What about scheduled Holidays? 2.5x pay for us. But again, this is for a process that never stops (for long).

We get $300 a week for 'On Call' pay and for scheduled holidays it's an automatic 8 hours. Double time if you have to be there. Some like the OT and others don't.... but everyone is responsible for their own account(s).

It's very similar for us. We do 12hr rotating shifts and used to get a shift premium, but that was eventually "built into" our hourly pay. We too get paid 8hrs for a holiday we don't work. Same here in that many techs, especially the younger ones, don't want OT. Boggles my mine really..

Back when we were Govt owned, the thing that managers loved about the turbine and boiler Engineer's jobs were that they were on the cusp of no O/T or travelling time.

Simple promotion, cost $3k p.a. in direct wages, cut overtime by $15k...

No O/T for 15 years now...allowed flexitime up to 70 hours accumulated....I no longer track the hundreds of hours that just fly away every year.

JTK,

It forgot to say:
It's $300 a week On Call pay, even if you don't get called in.
If you get called in you get an additional 4 hours of pay for each dispatch call.

That's the rules for us and we have 2 hours to arrive on site for any call.

I asked this question because the end of the year is always busy for most industries.

I get paid per hour working as US based person contracting to a Canadian company. No vacation days so it seems to work out as hourly contractor.

If they ask me to work weekends/late night I bill 1.5 the hours.

I am salary + commission so I don't get OT. I have to clock in and out though and get a nasty note at every pay period about my overtime. I have a link to the new labor laws which specifically exempts dealership parts personnel who earn a majority of their pay from commission from earning OT but they can't read.

At my workplace the pharmacy technicians are paid time and a half in overtime at 40 hours. However, superiors get angered when too much overtime is occurring. The pharmacists are paid salary. No overtime. Even staying for an hour after the 13 hour day. Nothing.

As an exempt with flex time, I'm expected to flex out any excess hours within a pay period.
We occasionally run into a potential train wreck day due to unexpected events on the first of each month and this Friday is set to be such a day. If all goes as planned, I'll be out the door by 4:00 PM or so.
If things go badly I might end up staying much later and with no days left to flex out the added hours, I'll get paid for them at time and a half.
This only happens a couple of times a year.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Overtime?
and paid?
since when?

I'm lucky I even get a Thank you.....

That's about it for me too. I get paid by the load, so no such thing as overtime.

Previous job, if I fixed something on the weekend by remote logging in, I got a whole... 60 minutes of flex time to take off early during the week. If I had to appear at the office, it was 4 hours. I put in for four hours of actual OT one time for driving in during a blizzard and they looked at me like I had two heads for saving their bacon. They paid it but were absolutely besides themselves. This was the same place that I got a letter from my health insurance saying the boss hadn't paid my premium on time and I had a week to find a replacement if I wanted uninterrupted coverage.
mad.gif

Now I'm in a better spot, any hours after 8 or any on the weekends are OT. I can call out sick on Monday and get OT that Saturday while still working a 40-hour week. Many co-irkers do this.
smile.gif

Our fabrication, assembly, and shipping people are kept on a pretty tight schedule of 8 hour days M-F, but get switched to 10 hour days when we're busy if needed.

Another guy and I drive our two company trucks. We work as much as we need to. No one cares how much OT we work because everything we're moving from one place to another is something that's needed to keep production going. If we don't get it done we need to call a courier or trucking company, which is more expensive than OT. The only real limit we have is DOT hours of service.

Wow, some of you are really getting screwed!
I get paid to be on call, any call out I'm paid 4 hours minimum at double time.
Any overtime is also double time, and we claim in 30 minute blocks.
At the end of each pay period, I submit a timesheet with the reason for the overtime written on it, boss approves it no questions asked.

I'm already scheduled 90 hours in two weeks. I usually work 84 of those 90. Hourly + commission. I rarely work more than 45/week, I have no need to. That's 5 days, Tuesday and Sunday off. I take as many breaks as I please as long as the work gets done (which it always does). I probably don't "work" anywhere close to the amounts on my check.

This time last year we were letting people go.
Currently we're behind the eight ball... too many chiefs and not enough workers.
We're on a "work as long as you can" routine for all, but especially for our field techs.
They are encouraged to work 10-20 hrs overtime(or more)every weeks if they want.
I'm pulling 5-10 hours a week overtime ,pays time and a half of our hourly rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back