Opinions requested: interval for ATF drain/fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
30k for a drain and fill is perfect in my book. Remember in a drain and fill you are draining less than half of total capacity. The shorter interval will keep the mix of fluid relatively fresh.
And it is likely still cheaper to do a drain and fill every 30k than it is to pay for a fluid exchange every 50-60k.

There are millions of old crocks on the road with 200K miles that have never had their ATF changed and are running fine.
If you are a conscientious owner, and want to sleep well at night, change it every 100K and you'll be fine.
Now, if your vehicles undergoes severe duty (racing, towing, etc.) you could cut that down to WHATEVER YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL RECOMMENDS....or whatever your conscience requires.

Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier
We just inherited an 05 Highlander Limited AWD with 38,000 miles. I did a drain and fill at 40,000 with 4 quarts of OE T-IV fluid. $8/quart at the local dealer. I plan to do have the pan dropped and the filter changed at 60,000 and then do a drain and fill every 20,000 there after. It's a beautiful car that we hope to have for a long time and possibly pass along to a child.

Sam

our dealer charges $17 for 3 quarts of T4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back