Opinions on Tiny Turbo Charged Engines?

No complaints with the 2.0T in my 17 Regal GS, lots of power and great gas mileage, love going on road trips, don't drive it much, only as stated and when going out of town, this is our retirement car and the last new car we'll buy, our everyday car is our 08 Malibu LTZ 3.6 ;)
1665522902160.jpeg

Reactions: 4WD
I made the mistake of buying the first year Chevy Cruze (2011)** with the 1.4T. It had decent power but the MPGs weren't really any better than the 2.0 Focus M/T that I replaced it with. The Cruze had the coolant loss/odor issue that many people on the Cruze forum complained about but my dealer played dumb with regard to. I got tired of playing games and dealer visits and traded it in on the new Ford. It's sad that GM eventually got it straightened out in time to kill the model. All in all I'd prefer a 2.0NA to a 1.5T.

** I had GM credit card points to use before the end of the year or lose them.

Last edited:
How bout others?
Mutsu TD-02 is small but I dont know if they do it well.
GM 1.4?
Toy claims 45% efficiency in nxt hybrid.
Is there still a vedub 1.4 turbo? Any good?
How bout the lill TDs?
Yes. VW makes an excellent 1.4 TSI. We own one.

"...We own one..."
Durable? Low or hi maintainence?

what bout those turboed tiny diesels? Never been in the shop.
The 1.4 TSI has been around for a while now and has proven reliable. No major issues. Can’t comment on diesels, don’t know enough about them nor have I owned one.

I guess the Mitsubishi 4G15T in my Colt counted as tiny turbocharged engine. Mitsubishi turbo, 1.5L/150hp for that "detuned" version. Very nice, very reliable, I only ever changed the brakes, timing belt and serpentine belts while I was there.
Fuel economy...not good, not bad, around 7-8L/100Km depending on your right foot. It needed a 6th speed badly though (130km/h in 5th was noisy). Still loved that car and all its quirks. 12 years and almost 200000Km without problem.

that the '80s or 90s? Or not a usa import? How about todays models (lota tiny turbos right now as per the tread)?
Like todays science based HVAC systems in the home (right sized, tight envelope, hrv/erv use, etc) I think the turbos are improved for general use (miaita's just right sized for low AND hi RPMs). The teens showed wider acceptance and final improvement here ('14/17?) shortly after the Continent. Use on non-stroked engines, etc...
I'm thinkin it might bea way to get power toa low pollutin, hi MPGs motor.

Last edited:
I’m comfortable with turbocharged small displacement engine reliability however the gas mileage ratings aren’t realistic. The 1.5T in my current Fusion averages in the high 20’s while the 2.5 NA in my previous averaged in the low 30’s. So in an effort to save fuel we’re actually using more.
It takes 200 HP of fuel more of less to make 200 HP more or less regardless of engine size. With my Ford F150 and the 2.7 engine I get driving easy and unloaded is have been over the life of [my ]ownership getting between 21 mpgs and 23 mpgs. Trying hard to get more mpgs some times better. Pulling a trailer the MPGs drop as expected ,,drastically. I rented a Chevy Sonic [I think] with a Turbo engine and at first thought what a dog and it wasn't powerful but then cruising on the interstate I realized the torque was wonderful and the rpms were much lower than a naturally aspirated engine.

It stands to reason power to fuel is somewhat of a parallel line. The more air you ram into a cylinder, (turbo), the more fuel you have to mix with it to achieve the same proper fuel / air mixture.

Only the ones that feel the need to incessantly bash other brands (like you've bashed the Korean brands, amongst others, repeatedly, time and time again) and praise the one they are driving.
I don't "bash" the Korean brands. I think I've been quite clear on my position about them. I believe they receive far more praise than they deserve. People make them out to be the new kings of reliability and build quality. While I believe they've made great strides over the last 10 years or so, I still think they have a ways to go to be the equal of many of the Japanese makes. There are some makes I bash as they deserve it, like Chryslers and Mitsubishis...

I don't "bash" the Korean brands. I think I've been quite clear on my position about them. I believe they receive far more praise than they deserve. People make them out to be the new kings of reliability and build quality. While I believe they've made great strides over the last 10 years or so, I still think they have a ways to go to be the equal of many of the Japanese makes.
You might want to re-read some of your past posts.
There are some makes I bash as they deserve it, like Chryslers and Mitsubishis...
And there we have it.

#152/3: plez go battel it out elsewhere (PMs), these arent comments within/abt the thread.
- -
ck the fuel design in link @ #149

On a different earlier note that the MPGs dropped when loaded: our ford TD p/u never changes w/these conditins (it duz w/stop'n go v hwy mileage). But thats not the motors of this thread (sm engine w/turbo).

I don't "bash" the Korean brands. I think I've been quite clear on my position about them. I believe they receive far more praise than they deserve. People make them out to be the new kings of reliability and build quality. While I believe they've made great strides over the last 10 years or so, I still think they have a ways to go to be the equal of many of the Japanese makes. There are some makes I bash as they deserve it, like Chryslers and Mitsubishis...
You are way out in left field bc you don't know the facts. I had a 2016 Chevy Spark. It had few bells and whistles and was manual. It had CarPlay back then. The vehicle was QUALITY throughout. I never had one problem with it after 34K miles. Perhaps you are referring to Korean cars of 1990's? Welcome to today.

You are shooting from the hip.

And oh..I have no dog in this fight.

It seems many manufacturers are doing it: moving to tiny engines with turbo chargers. I was perusing JEEP and see that their Renegade only comes with a 1.3L turbo engine now. It requires premium fuel, somewhat negating the 3 mpg better efficiency vs. the previous 2.4L engine.

I am mostly concerned about DIY maintenance and long term reliability (of any brand). 200K possible? Please share your thoughts (opinions and facts). Thank you!
I just say no to turbo. More simple is more better. Southern engineering 101. Just gimmee a 2.5 NA Camry.

that the '80s or 90s? Or not a usa import? How about todays models (lota tiny turbos right now as per the tread)?
Not sure that question was for me but it's a 2010 Colt Ralliart, European version.
Sure that engine is a relic from the 70's or 80's maybe, and mine was probably within the last they made, so it was really nice and refined, if not really powerful.

Have a 1.8t Passat 2016. In 139k miles I've changed the pcv valve. Regular maintenance otherwise. In the LONG term it'll probably need more work but it's fun to drive (especially with aftermarket turbo pipes) and gets 34+mpg.

Newer VW 1.4 and 1.8 do not require premium fuel either. I used 93 for a month last summer and didn't notice a difference in any aspect.

"...Colt..."
ok, thnx, yup durable, low maintainence, low/av cost to own vehicle. Never saw 1 turboed tho. Would be fun to have on the lift if so.

1.4 and 1.8 VeDub seem a lill fussy tho, no?
6 yrs, ought to know by now? Isnt VW larger than Toy & MB now? (it must have ford fer sure ! )

Back