Opinions on Stashing Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your opinion on stashing motor oil? I know many of you participate in this pass time. I'm wondering if I should stash a few oil changes worth of oil. With the ever increasing cost of crude oil, it might make economic sense. I was thinking maybe 20qts of TropArtic WM ($1.48) and 10 to 15qts of GC Gold or Green AZ($5.99), this would equal about 7 oil changes on my 95 Ford Explorer. That is enough to last me around 3-4 years, at 10-15k a year. Any suggestions for me?

I would recommend doing it. If you are going to keep your vehicle and use the same oil for awhile then it wouldn't hurt investing in oil that is going to go up in price anyway.

$5.99 for GC??? My AutoZone sells it for $5.19. I'd say keep an eye on the Items Sold as people are selling parts of their GC stashes all the time.

What's the price of money to you? Do you have absolutely zero debt? If you are like the rest of us, we have at least a little debt and the money you spend on oil (to save a few bucks) would probably be better spent paying off debt.

If you are lucky enough to have zero debt, then you probably still would benefit from buying a long term CD and stashing your money there.

I guess it depends on how much you speculate that motor oil is going to climb in price. Will it be faster then what you can make investing that money?

Oil might be a liquid, but as an asset money has a lower viscosity (sorry for the bad attempt at humor).

Or, try to go all 35 qts. full synthetic:

Your cost for 20 qts. Tropartic - $29.60
Your cost for 15 qts. G/Castrol - 89.95

Total $119.45

Instead, buy all Pennzoil Platinum, as follows:

Pep Boys, 1 Case of 6, net of $15 rebate - $16.74
Wal Mart, 29 qts., $3.97 regular price,
net of $10 rebate - 105.13

Total $121.87

Oops, couldn't quite make it, need Blue Goose's help!

Laminar Lou,

I stash oil for the "fun" of it, & all of my stash is oil that I got on sale or for free. My little stash makes sense to me, but then again, I only have a government high school education, from Alabama, too.
freak2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
Laminar Lou,

I stash oil for the "fun" of it, & all of my stash is oil that I got on sale or for free. My little stash makes sense to me, but then again, I only have a government high school education, from Alabama, too.
freak2.gif

Well then that changes things
grin.gif

I guess I was just trying to make the point that a lot of people fall into the trap of buying large quantities of goods because they are saving a few $$, but in the end would probably do better by just holding on to that money.

But if you are getting all of this for free and/or on sale then you are leaning the odds in your favor that you will be ahead.

If it is your hobby and you like to stash oil, well that has value too if it makes you happy. I was just trying to address your comment about the oil prices
cheers.gif

Better than collecting Beanie Babies.
grin.gif

Since I have been hoarding oil, there has been a hurricane that impaired raw material supply, and may have compromised oil quality for a while. Also, prices have gone up by a significant percentage.

In diesel engine oils, they are going to a new SAE rating, CJ, which for current engines may not be as good as CI-4.

Its a harmless passion that does have its economic rewards.

I have a moderate stash. About a year's worth. The problem you run into sometimes is that the stuff you've stashed gets obsolete. I imagine that some here will have SL oil when SN or SO appears on the market. I think that the evolutionary upramp has flattened for a bit. We jumped quite a bit in the past 4 years.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
I have a moderate stash. About a year's worth. The problem you run into sometimes is that the stuff you've stashed gets obsolete. I imagine that some here will have SL oil when SN or SO appears on the market. I think that the evolutionary upramp has flattened for a bit. We jumped quite a bit in the past 4 years.

That is why, im probabley not going to want to have a huge stash like others on BITOG. Also, I'm considering it as more of a hobby, with economic benifits on the side.

I have a two year supply for five vehicles..... right around 70 quarts. It was at 85 quarts two months ago. So the medicine I'm on that prevents me from putting any oil quarts right next to any cash registers is working...lol
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by k1xv:
Better than collecting Beanie Babies.
grin.gif

Its a harmless passion that does have its economic rewards.

I have to admit that I have a small stash too, but it is because I buy Amsoil online and I always over order just to be on the safe side (don't want to find out when I am changing oil that I am a quart short).

My problem is that I seem to stash cleaning/waxing products. I have a whole cabinet full of stuff. You know you have too many products when you find 4 different half used bottles of "Quick Detailer" after you just picked some up because you thought you were out (you just couldn't find it).

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
I have a two year supply for five vehicles..... right around 70 quarts. It was at 85 quarts two months ago. So the medicine I'm on that prevents me from putting any oil quarts right next to any cash registers is working...lol
cheers.gif

Count me in for the 2 year club, including filters, for 3 cars. Just a hair over 100 quarts, but will go quick due to ARX treatments on all 3.
grin.gif

To me it is just a hobby collection as well. For some, it is stamps; for others rare wines. I like to spend my mornings in the garage with a cup of coffee and admire my oil and filter stash. It's a good stress reliever to ponder my upcoming oil strategy of what I'll use next in each car and why. I however, have not discovered the medicine that keeps me from buying more, so maybe I need to see Se7en's doctor as well.

My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I just politely remind her that I could be using the small amount I spend on this "hobby" on a barstool instead, and then she just shakes her head like I'm nuts and walks away.....
dunno.gif

I don't believe in an oil stash. Why waste garage space? About the time I need to change oil I look at the best price in the ads for Havoline dino. I buy it at the best price I can find and thats that.

quote:

Why waste garage space?

Marty, this is a problem you guys that live in Baja Oklahoma seem to have...if there is ANY space in the garage, that's WHERE the new oil stash goes!!! Duhhhhh!

And you know we true Oklahomans can't put our stash in the driveway, well, not with the two pickups on blocks out there.

Yep, exactly, I bought a bunch of Chevron SJ cheap and used about 1/3, then the SL came along and I still have the SJ must be six years old by now...I'll never use it...maybe for bar(chainsaw) oil.

quote:

Originally posted by jbas:
And you know we true Oklahomans can't put our stash in the driveway, well, not with the two pickups on blocks out there.

My neighbor has an old '50s pickup in his driveway. What does he store in the cab?

Dogfood!
wink.gif

I have a very small stash, but I only buy on sale. It's all 5w20 -- since both my vehicles take it. I figure any new car I buy would also require 5w20, so what's the harm? I only have about 20 qts (2 OCs/car). I plan to pick some more up tonight! It's all peer pressure. Before BITOG, I bought oil the day before change. Now I'm cool like others:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back