Online Tire purchase - installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: billt460
I just can't see going through the nonsense of on line tire buying. What is the advantage? In reality what are you saving when all is said and done? Not to mention the hassle of arranging them to be delivered to God knows who. Then having to arrange the installation. Then getting it done, and paying for everything.

As opposed to driving into a place like Discount at your convenience. Picking out the size, brand, and style you want from their huge inventory. Then driving out a half hour or 45 minutes later all done. Simple, uncomplicated, and inexpensive for something you only have to do once every few years anyway.

The advantage is simply dollars. If you don't opt to use that saving its your right as a consumer. I'll opt for the savings. All it takes is some planning but some peoples days are so full all they have time for is posting on this or other forums.

Amen, a little planning and waiting saves me $100 to $200 usually, that is buys a lot of lattes and flirting time at starbucks

Originally Posted By: Hot_Ajax
Originally Posted By: stockrex
Originally Posted By: Hot_Ajax
I am buying 2 tires from amazon, where do I go to get them install on my fit?
Walmart? Costco?

I am getting General Altimax, anyone use them, good for snow? hwy?

Costco is absolutely retarded in the way they run their tire center. They told me it would be hours to fix a flat. And I said, I'll go home, call me when you're done. Idiot said if I went home, I'd lose my place in line. If it's tires, stay far away from Costco. They should stick to selling big baggy underwear for fat chicks, not tires.

Lol, I share your sentiments but sometimes they have FREE install for exec members, I am a value conscious shopper, $$ always wins over my sentiments!

Free install + $70 rebate makes for juicy tire prices, I think they have in August, or july, off peak times.

The only reason I like costco is that they are no nonsense to deal with, yes takes a lot of time but, hey more to flirt with the girls in starbucks!

Flirting with chicks in Starbucks? Oh, is that where you tell them how bright they are because mom and dad shelled out big bucks to send them to Swarthmore? Just kidding you. It is fun to hit on the pseudo intellectuals and feed into their egos. If you can take one home for dessert, I'm with you, brother.

Lol, after what I have been through (divorce), I am very happy with the pour over I take home ;-)

The tire gawds looked down and blessed me,

Costco has 1 penny install for Bridgestones, I got 4 ecopias installed for 265$.

Thanks everyone for their input, saved me the pain of buying and carrying them somewhere to get them installed.

Looks like UTQG 640 A A so not bad at all. TR price for that tire in the size above was $88.50 plus shipping and install. Prob could have save the two good tires and sold them or something.

I just can't see going through the nonsense of on line tire buying. What is the advantage? In reality what are you saving when all is said and done? Not to mention the hassle of arranging them to be delivered to God knows who. Then having to arrange the installation. Then getting it done, and paying for everything.

As opposed to driving into a place like Discount at your convenience. Picking out the size, brand, and style you want from their huge inventory. Then driving out a half hour or 45 minutes later all done. Simple, uncomplicated, and inexpensive for something you only have to do once every few years anyway.

I know I'm an outlier but I have my own tire machine.

They are cheaper by

1) no sales tax
2) no state $1 tire cleanup fee
2b) no tire disposal fee
3) multiple rebates that stack during sales
4) no upsales/ shenanigans while my car is near their store, or on the rack
5) letting me buy one size different (but still within load range) for a better deal/ technical reason vs what's listed on my door placard.

and better by having "some name brand" in stock vs only a private label in my size. For me, it's usually Hankook. Tire shops seem to have several name brand ultra high performance options so you think you're getting a choice then they have one chinese all season that they actually really wish you'd pick.
wink.gif

Since I've gotten several sets of four tires mounted and balanced for under $100, I feel like I've saved substantially. I also get to take my time cleaning corrosion off my rims, balancing out precisely, etc.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I know I'm an outlier but I have my own tire machine.

They are cheaper by

1) no sales tax
2) no state $1 tire cleanup fee
2b) no tire disposal fee
3) multiple rebates that stack during sales
4) no upsales/ shenanigans while my car is near their store, or on the rack
5) letting me buy one size different (but still within load range) for a better deal/ technical reason vs what's listed on my door placard.

and better by having "some name brand" in stock vs only a private label in my size. For me, it's usually Hankook. Tire shops seem to have several name brand ultra high performance options so you think you're getting a choice then they have one chinese all season that they actually really wish you'd pick.
wink.gif

Since I've gotten several sets of four tires mounted and balanced for under $100, I feel like I've saved substantially. I also get to take my time cleaning corrosion off my rims, balancing out precisely, etc.

How do you dispose of your old tires? And you suppose to pay sales tax-
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/maine-internet-sales-tax.html

Last edited:
He probably shreds them via an old wood chipper then spreads it around as mulch. Oh and the wood chipper is 30 yrs old and was scored for free.
lol.gif

Most tire shops end up ordering online like I do myself and many customer cars. Like when you need a set of staggered run-flats that are never in stock at any tire store. I like picking out my own shoes too. There are way too many SKU's for all the different tires. Not many tire shops can keep 400 different sizes, and types of tire on hand, and not end up with a bunch several years old by the time they sell, if ever.

Last edited:

The advantage is simply dollars. If you don't opt to use that saving its your right as a consumer. I'll opt for the savings. All it takes is some planning but some peoples days are so full all they have time for is posting on this or other forums.

Amen, a little planning and waiting saves me $100 to $200 usually, that is buys a lot of lattes and flirting time at starbucks

LOL just a matter on what's important in your life and life is short enjoy it to the max!

it must be nice to live near a DT. You do realize that every area doesn't have a DT location, right?
smile.gif

Walmart, as well as some regional chains, let you buy tires online from their site and then ship them directly to the store of your choice, where you have them installed.

And every place doesn't have every tire. If you need/want specific tires. Or if you have a weird tire size that not every shop will carry in their inventory.

That's in addition to the obvious money savings others mentioned
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CKN

I pay sales tax on my income tax return annually via some formula the state comes up with. It's like $30 a year for all-I-can-binge-shop-online.
lol.gif
Having paid that piper, 4 more tires won't matter.

For disposal, I wait until I have at least ten so I can get the $160/ton rate. Works out to a little over a buck per 15 inch car tire. This stash of bald tires also gives me "rollers" in case I junk a car and want to keep the good rubber.

I pay sales tax on my income tax return annually via some formula the state comes up with. It's like $30 a year for all-I-can-binge-shop-online.
lol.gif

For disposal, I wait until I have at least ten so I can get the $160/ton rate. Works out to a little over a buck per 15 inch car tire. This stash of bald tires also gives me "rollers" in case I junk a car and want to keep the good rubber.

Is it $30.00 year minimum or actual amount if you exceed that? I would venture to guess that's a minimum, anything over that would be actual amount. Most states want every penny. Doesn't make sense to pay $30.00 flat rate tax if the amount you actually incurred was greater than that.

Sales made over the Internet are subject to the same sales tax application as mail order sales. If the seller is required to be registered to collect Maine Sales Tax and the product is shipped to a Maine address, the seller should collect the tax on the sale. If the seller does not collect the sales tax, the purchaser would owe a Maine Use Tax, payable directly to Maine Revenue Services, based on the sale price of the goods. Most Maine taxpayers report this use tax liability on their Maine 1040 - provided the purchase of a single item is less than $5,000.

The point of all this is your post wasn't accurate. You do pay sales tax on your purchasers. The question is if your paying an accurate amount per the tax rules in your state.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
He probably shreds them via an old wood chipper then spreads it around as mulch. Oh and the wood chipper is 30 yrs old and was scored for free.
lol.gif

and the wood chipper got there after getting towed with the hand painted Mercedes.....

lol.gif

Is it $30.00 year minimum or actual amount if you exceed that? I would venture to guess that's a minimum, anything over that would be actual amount. Most states want every penny. Doesn't make sense to pay $30.00 flat rate tax if the amount you actually incurred was greater than that.

Sales made over the Internet are subject to the same sales tax application as mail order sales. If the seller is required to be registered to collect Maine Sales Tax and the product is shipped to a Maine address, the seller should collect the tax on the sale. If the seller does not collect the sales tax, the purchaser would owe a Maine Use Tax, payable directly to Maine Revenue Services, based on the sale price of the goods. Most Maine taxpayers report this use tax liability on their Maine 1040 - provided the purchase of a single item is less than $5,000.

The point of all this is your post wasn't accurate. You do pay sales tax on your purchasers. The question is if your paying an accurate amount per the tax rules in your state.

Yes it is: Per the 2016 1040 instructions:

I do not track every internet purchase my wife or I make. I do not feel required to keep accurate records. All my purchases are under $1000. I do buy a bunch of stuff online and the cost of compliance is so little I pay via the formula. I appreciate the pragmatism my state employs towards the issue.

Well, all I know as a very small private business, that could have been bigger, that an across the board internet sales would definitely level the playing field!!!

Last edited:
The advantage is simply dollars. If you don't opt to use that saving its your right as a consumer. I'll opt for the savings.

So when all is said and done, what are you actually saving?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
.....it must be nice to live near a DT. You do realize that every area doesn't have a DT location, right?

What difference does that make? If you buy on line you have to drive somewhere to have them installed. If it's not Discount, then it's going to be somewhere else. They're not going to come to your house. And they're certainly not going to do it for free.... Or be thrilled you didn't buy from them in the first place. A bit like the guy who comes in for an oil change, and brings his own oil and filter.

And if this place you're going to, (wherever it may be), has some sort of, "prearranged agreement" with the online outfit, how do you know what you're being charged for mounting, balancing, tire disposal, etc. is not more than the people who purchased their tires there? In reality you have no way of knowing. Simply asking isn't going to guarantee you a truthful answer.

And remember, you're cutting them out of the profit they make on selling the tires. Which is a large percentage of what they earn. Just like a car repair garage marks up the price on the parts they install in your vehicle, well above what they pay for them. They've got to make that up somewhere, or they wouldn't agree to do it in the first place.

The advantage is simply dollars. If you don't opt to use that saving its your right as a consumer. I'll opt for the savings.

So when all is said and done, what are you actually saving?

Your money spend it as foolishly as you want! In my case it was about $80 or in terms you may understand better all my oil changes for the year for free.

Last edited:
I had firestone auto care mount and balance 4 tires for $87. Didn't trust them with my car so I dropped off the tire/rim and they did it within a few hours. They won't do used tires and most shops won't do them either unless they specialize in used or you know the mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back