Online Tire purchase - installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: earlyre
the only time i've bought tires online, i bought them from Tire rack, and had 'em shipped to my local Ford dealer, who did the install on my Neon for round $12/each.

yes. I had the local Ford dealer replace the tires on my Dodge. Even wore my mopar t-shirt just by chance that day. nobody said a thing. (apparently my $$ was just a good as the next guys)

Had the Ford Quicklane install tires a few months ago that I bought from Amazon. Plus they did an oil change as well. At first the guy said they can't mount tires not purchased there. Then he went out and looked at them and said they could do it. He said some people bring in used tires that they want mounted which I guess is why he said no at first. Including tax and tire disposal fees it came to $20/tire balanced on a Hunter machine by one of their top guys. Also fixed a retention ring on one of the hubcaps that was making a creaking noise at low speeds.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jorton
When a local store matches an online price do they count shipping?

My OK tire store matched the online price by $2 I figured they deserved my business.

Originally Posted By: jorton
When a local store matches an online price do they count shipping?

Yes, which is why it's good to have a site that has free shipping. We have state sales tax so technically when they match and you don't pay tax on mail order, it's actually more expensive. But when they eliminate the mounting fee and do lifetime balance and rotation, it works out a little better. Plus you don't have to wait for tires to arrive and haul them around. There's one local chain (Town Fair) that also gives you a free front end alignment when you buy tires there even when you do a price match, only downside is that they don't do lifetime balance.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
I am buying 2 tires from amazon, where do I go to get them install on my fit?
Walmart? Costco?

I am getting General Altimax, anyone use them, good for snow? hwy?

Costco is absolutely retarded in the way they run their tire center. They told me it would be hours to fix a flat. And I said, I'll go home, call me when you're done. Idiot said if I went home, I'd lose my place in line. If it's tires, stay far away from Costco. They should stick to selling big baggy underwear for fat chicks, not tires.

Start here.

Tire Rack, which has been at this game as long as anyone, maintains a database of independent installers who have no issues installing loose tires.

The specific shop pages list the prices they charge, and the equipment they use.

There's nothing to imply that these are TR-exclusive arrangements, and who's going to refuse the business if you don't have a TR invoice, but even if they do, move on to the next one.

If you prefer the 20th Century method, dig out the Yellow Pages and call local tire shops.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Traction
Walmart? Costco?

Your tires are going to be useless, and dangerous if your only buying 2! Buy 4 or nothing. You are not saving a dime only buying 2.

That's a strange sentiment. I used to buy 2 tires once in a while too. I used to get lazy and not rotate the tires so the fronts would wear out after 50-60k and the rears were still good up to 80k. So after a while, I'd just buy 2, stick them on the rear and then rotate them later. Then it would repeat... Eventually I got rid of the car without having to buy 2 more.

I used to buy online, but then I just had the local tires store price match. They end up charging you tax but they don't charge to mount the tire, just for balancing. If you didn't buy the tires there, then there's an extra charge for mounting plus when you buy them there, you get lifetime balance, rotation which you don't get when you just bring the tires in.

The OP was buying 2 snow tires, probably intending to install on the front. Running 2 snow tires with 2 regular tires is not safe was the point.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Walmart? Costco?

Your tires are going to be useless, and dangerous if your only buying 2! Buy 4 or nothing. You are not saving a dime only buying 2.

That's a strange sentiment. I used to buy 2 tires once in a while too. I used to get lazy and not rotate the tires so the fronts would wear out after 50-60k and the rears were still good up to 80k. So after a while, I'd just buy 2, stick them on the rear and then rotate them later. Then it would repeat... Eventually I got rid of the car without having to buy 2 more.

I used to buy online, but then I just had the local tires store price match. They end up charging you tax but they don't charge to mount the tire, just for balancing. If you didn't buy the tires there, then there's an extra charge for mounting plus when you buy them there, you get lifetime balance, rotation which you don't get when you just bring the tires in.

The OP was buying 2 snow tires, probably intending to install on the front. Running 2 snow tires with 2 regular tires is not safe was the point.

Why is this. It was common practice in the past. Snows on the rear and regular tires on the front.

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
Why is this. It was common practice in the past. Snows on the rear and regular tires on the front.

They have since discovered that having the best tires on the rear reduces spin outs - in both FWD and RWD - BUT - severe differences front to rear is also not a good thing. With winter tires, you need to be able to both go and stop without swapping ends. That's why they recommend winter tires all the way around.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Walmart? Costco?

Have you checked just buying from Discount Tire? The aggravation of dealing with the long waits at Costco or Walmart just aren't worth it for me, especially if you rotate them regularly.

I love going to tire shops as much as getting a sigmoidoscopy.

Rotate, I am sole member and president of "Dad against Tire Rotation Club" ;-).

Costco is close a starbucks, so I just take my laptop and flirt with the gals there.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I haven't tried them in the snow, but I like them so much that I'll keep buying them as long as they keep making them.

Good deal, bro, I wonder how they are in extreme cold, does the rubber still stay sticky?

This is the one I am looking at:

General Altimax RT43 Radial Tire - 175/65R15 84H

I use all season in winter too, just deflate the tire to 30 psi for more contact, summer I run 40 psi.
I don't do a whole lot in peak winter, the ridgeline is the winter vehicle, it has michelins, brand new ones.

I am doing 2 tires as I NEVER rotate, my fronts are worn and have a toe in wear [don't go there, I went to honda few times and they can't fix the wear through alignment], rears are michelins, nearly new. I like to have new tiers all around for winters.

Walmart? Costco?

Yikes, wait, rear tires are nearly new, front are worn, yes, I will never drive with unsafe tires. Very precious items are transported in this vehicle.
Winter vehicles always have new or nearly new tires.

Originally Posted By: Hot_Ajax
Walmart? Costco?

Costco is absolutely retarded in the way they run their tire center. They told me it would be hours to fix a flat. And I said, I'll go home, call me when you're done. Idiot said if I went home, I'd lose my place in line. If it's tires, stay far away from Costco. They should stick to selling big baggy underwear for fat chicks, not tires.

Lol, I share your sentiments but sometimes they have FREE install for exec members, I am a value conscious shopper, $$ always wins over my sentiments!

Free install + $70 rebate makes for juicy tire prices, I think they have in August, or july, off peak times.

The only reason I like costco is that they are no nonsense to deal with, yes takes a lot of time but, hey more to flirt with the girls in starbucks!

Nope, all season tires, never do snow tires, snow tires are for ladies or my phd buddies who has never seen snow, unless you are getting studded tires or need chain, snow tires are for people with large garages.
[flame on]

I take my tires down to 30 psi and drive slower than usual

Originally Posted By: hemitruck

I hear you on that.

I suppose with today's fancy ABS systems, stability and traction control, tires with different grip could effect the effectiveness of how these systems work.

I personally replace tires based on condition. If it happens that 2 of 4 are shot, I replace two.

I take my tires down to 30 psi and drive slower than usual

So you're that guy!
smirk.gif

Don't be surprised when I pass you with my horn blaring
laugh.gif

In regards to the topic ... If it's a nice set of wheels, I go to walmart TLE and let them do the mount and balance. If it's just junkyard wheels or a set of steel wheels, I mount myself and have Walmart do the balancing. I just like saving a few bucks ... not sure it's worth it. Definitely a lot of work hand mounting tires.

Originally Posted By: Hot_Ajax
Walmart? Costco?

Lol, I share your sentiments but sometimes they have FREE install for exec members, I am a value conscious shopper, $$ always wins over my sentiments!

Free install + $70 rebate makes for juicy tire prices, I think they have in August, or july, off peak times.

The only reason I like costco is that they are no nonsense to deal with, yes takes a lot of time but, hey more to flirt with the girls in starbucks!

Flirting with chicks in Starbucks? Oh, is that where you tell them how bright they are because mom and dad shelled out big bucks to send them to Swarthmore? Just kidding you. It is fun to hit on the pseudo intellectuals and feed into their egos. If you can take one home for dessert, I'm with you, brother.

I just can't see going through the nonsense of on line tire buying. What is the advantage? In reality what are you saving when all is said and done? Not to mention the hassle of arranging them to be delivered to God knows who. Then having to arrange the installation. Then getting it done, and paying for everything.

As opposed to driving into a place like Discount at your convenience. Picking out the size, brand, and style you want from their huge inventory. Then driving out a half hour or 45 minutes later all done. Simple, uncomplicated, and inexpensive for something you only have to do once every few years anyway.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I just can't see going through the nonsense of on line tire buying. What is the advantage? In reality what are you saving when all is said and done? Not to mention the hassle of arranging them to be delivered to God knows who. Then having to arrange the installation. Then getting it done, and paying for everything.

As opposed to driving into a place like Discount at your convenience. Picking out the size, brand, and style you want from their huge inventory. Then driving out a half hour or 45 minutes later all done. Simple, uncomplicated, and inexpensive for something you only have to do once every few years anyway.

The advantage is simply dollars. If you don't opt to use that saving its your right as a consumer. I'll opt for the savings. All it takes is some planning but some peoples days are so full all they have time for is posting on this or other forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back