GY Assurance Outlast vs. Michelin CrossClimate2

One of my frugal friends needs new tires for his 19 CR-V. Size is 235/60R18. With my WM+ membership, the GY Assurance Outlast (WM exclusive) work out to $645 installed with free road hazard. The Michelin's are $332 more, even after the Costco sale.

The track record of the CrossClimate2's is well-established, but I am unfamiliar with this particular GY tire. My experiences with GY tires, whether OE or aftermarket, have been generally abysmal.

Has anyone used this particular GY tire?

looks like user 1GDSM put a set on his avalon last year.... but walmart took them back off and reinstalled his old tires 200 mi later, with a full refund....

I put a set of CC2's on my C-max earlier this summer, no complaints so far... waiting for winter to see how they handle what we get.
my dad wanted better tires for this winter, and liked the looks of mine enough that he bought a set of CC2's for his Escape... we each spent around $1k. at the local Discount Tire.

Last edited:
One of my frugal friends needs new tires for his 19 CR-V. Size is 235/60R18. With my WM+ membership, the GY Assurance Outlast (WM exclusive) work out to $645 installed with free road hazard. The Michelin's are $332 more, even after the Costco sale.

The track record of the CrossClimate2's is well-established, but I am unfamiliar with this particular GY tire. My experiences with GY tires, whether OE or aftermarket, have been generally abysmal.

There's also the Goodyear Reliant, which is $95 each + $18 each installation. We had those on a used Subaru Forester and they were perfectly adequate. Another member recently put them on their child's vehicle, so may have have an update.

I love the CC2 and have them on my Acura MDX, but does your friend have a requirement for an all-weather tire?

I do not see them in Tire Rack list or GY web site.
That means it is a tire made for VM. I would say $332 might be worth in rain etc.

There's also the Goodyear Reliant, which is $95 each + $18 each installation. We had those on a used Subaru Forester and they were perfectly adequate. Another member recently put them on their child's vehicle, so may have have an update.

I love the CC2 and have them on my Acura MDX, but does your friend have a requirement for an all-weather tire?
That was me. I put them on my daughter’s Kia. No complaints at all from me or her. They’ve done well in the rain we have had. She said they drive nice a quiet and are smooth. I have no regrets going with them.

Do they need the 3PMSF?
No.

Michelin and frugal don’t belong in same sentences. CC2 amazing tires however this price differential not that much better unless some winter conditions.
I do not see them in Tire Rack list or GY web site.
That means it is a tire made for VM. I would say $332 might be worth in rain etc.
Main concern was wet traction.

He went with the GY's. Not much commentary online about these tires.

Has anyone used this particular GY tire
Not a fan of the GY's. Don't know that specific tire, but I'm sure its based off another model. If you pick one up the construction just feels cheap. Flimsy. The CC2 is a great tire. This is my job and I have CC2's on the car, Defender LTX on the truck. Spend the money and get a good tire lol

We have General 365AW on one car and CC2s on the other. In every aspect excepting deep snow and ice, (and lower MPG) the CC2s are superior. For our conditions we leave the 365AW on year round and swap the CC2s with snow tires for an abbreviated winter season.

He went with the GY's. Not much commentary online about these tires.
Just talked to him today. He has about 5K on the tires. We had an unusually wet winter and he said the wet traction was horrendous, worse than the worn OE tires. According to him, he was spinning the tires at stoplights.

And this is coming from someone who isn’t picky at all.

I have had some lousy GY on the past but am currently running two sets I’m very happy with.

Some of my worst GY experiences came from GY purchased at Walmart. I don’t know what they skimped on but I’d rather have Douglas.

Just talked to him today. He has about 5K on the tires. We had an unusually wet winter and he said the wet traction was horrendous, worse than the worn OE tires. According to him, he was spinning the tires at stoplights.

And this is coming from someone who isn’t picky at all.
Yep! All tires are good in dry. Wet is where the game is.
That's always my concern when buying. I would hate to "save" money to be disappointed with a key factor.

One of the big reasons I put the TrueContact Tour on my sons car was the wet performance tests/reviews. Same for the Pirelli's on my Accord and daughters CRV

Last edited:
This past fall GY had a killer deal on their top line tire. My tire shop guy talked me out of them. He said he has had way too many problems with them and he dropped the line.

I just replaced the GOodyear assurance finesse (OEM tire) off my atlas. Only lasted 35K miles, but overall no complaints about the tires.

Replaced with Michelin Defender 2. Very happy with those so far.

Back