One Oil, Two Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
What's the EPA got to do with the OP's question ...

Warranty. You’ll have none if you don’t go by their rules, that they enforce on the manufacturer, which in turn enforces them on you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nap
Originally Posted By: Imp4

The manufacturer provides the oil recommendation, not the EPA.
The manufacturer can provide any oil recommendation they see fit.

That is not totally accurate. There is a copy of a letter from EPA, floating here and in other forums, where EPA asks manufacturers that, if they use a specific oil for certification, then that particular oil shall be unequivocally promoted to the consumers.

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=14177&flag=1

So what I outlined in my previous post still stands.

And the OEM can choose to test with any oil they like. So your point is both true and irrelevant.

So the EPA here is still not a fraud. It just isn't.

But let's complete the thought experiment in which EPA was committing fraud.
Is this adequate justification for paschira to do the same?
Most certainly not. The world is not a zero sum game.
We do the right things because they are the right things to do. Regardless of the actions of others.

Guys, just do the right thing here. Don't do what paschira has advocated. We know it's wrong. Let's not try to justify it.

It is parshisa, not parchira or however you spelled it.

Are you a politician by any chance? My hipocrisymeter maxed out after reading your post, i think i’ll have to replace it now

Originally Posted By: parshisa
It is parshisa, not parchira or however you spelled it.

Are you a politician by any chance? My hipocrisymeter maxed out after reading your post, i think i’ll have to replace it now

I don't hear many politicians say 'do the right thing because it's the right thing' these days.

Do the right thing.

Don't do this:
Originally Posted By: parshira

Buy two jugs: 0W20 and 5w30. Return 0w20, keep receipt. Use 5w30 and enjoy the car

And let's keep this about motor oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: parshisa
To each its own. No sweat. Carry on

Have a nice day!
grin.gif

And the OEM can choose to test with any oil they like. So your point is both true and irrelevant.

So the EPA here is still not a fraud. It just isn't.

Regardless which oil they chose, it will still have to be "required" from Alaska to Mexico.

Remember that the standard we were discussing is "reasonable". Let's not move the goalposts.

Lol. So when EPA employees do something silly, for personal and/or financial gain, it somehow should be called “regulations”, not fraud? And you shall obey without questioning?
laugh.gif

When, in your life, as a Canadian citizen, have you had to obey an EPA employee? As motorists and car owners, how many Americans have to do that? I'm not talking about some guy filling a marsh on his farm or something like that and running afoul of the EPA, either.

Originally Posted By: Garak
nap said:
When, in your life, as a Canadian citizen, have you had to obey an EPA employee? As motorists and car owners, how many Americans have to do that? I'm not talking about some guy filling a marsh on his farm or something like that and running afoul of the EPA, either.

When you have a car under warranty and you see something like this in the manual:

knowing very well that in a different jurisdiction the manual for the same car shows something like 8 different options.

When you have a car under warranty and you see something like this in the manual:

I've seen that plenty, and GM has had such things back in the 1970s. A bureaucrat didn't write any of them, particularly one from the EPA. In any event, it is completely within my purview as to whether or not I'll follow it, and often enough, I have chosen not to. I've run unsanctioned viscosities in my old Audi, my F-150, and the G37, even under warranty.

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
his CRV's warranty won't allow for anything less or "greater" than a 0w-20, book it, I mean, warranty book it. Nice try guys but good information for people out there with beaters. Op, I used a 55 cent per Quart oil or 1.55 cent jug oil in my 17 Civic and it has eliminated a grind I would have at startup. I would like to see any of these other recommendations actual fix quirky and inconsistent issues like this, I would vegas book it. Doesn't need any Euro certs, nor BMW not none of that.. but yeah. none of that. Just API SN donut and than it's own UOA and user "testimonials" stuff reported like what I just did.
Do you have evidence of these denied warranty claims because someone used a different grade of oil?

Buy two jugs: 0W20 and 5w30. Return 0w20, keep receipt. Use 5w30 and enjoy the car

Fraud, plain and simple.

Maybe I am completely misunderstanding the intent, but what is fraudulent about returning motor oil?

Originally Posted By: arakele

Fraud, plain and simple.

Maybe I am completely misunderstanding the intent, but what is fraudulent about returning motor oil?

It’s not the returning of the oil, it’s trying to fool the dealership/automaker into thinking the proper grade of oil was used when it actually was not.

I'm going to give Amsoil a shot in both vehicles, 0W-30.

Sorry for causing a bit of an argument, but wanted to see what people thought. I know it's out of warranty spec, but not overly worried about it.

Originally Posted By: Ruby2013Elantra

Sorry for causing a bit of an argument, but wanted to see what people thought. I know it's out of warranty spec, but not overly worried about it.

That should treat you just fine. Nice CR-V by the way! Haven't been crazy about their looks in years past, but I think the redesign is sharp!

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: arakele

Fraud, plain and simple.

It’s not the returning of the oil, it’s trying to fool the dealership/automaker into thinking the proper grade of oil was used when it actually was not.

That makes more sense

Originally Posted By: Ruby2013Elantra

Sounds like a plan
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Exactly, and those suggesting such a thing should tread very lightly. Vacations have been handed out for suggesting this in the past. We're not here to provide each other advice on screwing retail companies, oil companies, OEMs, or each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back