One Dodge running 5W20 rewrites all the engineering texts in history ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by nap
Stevie: It is relevant because it would enlighten us on whether the engineers were at fault or whether it was the bean counting department that meddled too much. Administrative decisions based on $$$ don't count as engineering errors.

I was being sarcastic.

Originally Posted by StevieC
My OCI in the Highlander is 10,000 miles (16,000km) on 0w20 and it's Direct Injected. It calls for 0w20.

And what's the shear down and fuel dilution numbers in the UOA after 10K miles of use? Oil shear down rate is also very dependent on the oil and motor it's used in. If fuel dilution and shear down is pretty bad, starting with a xW-20 doesn't help the situation..

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
My OCI in the Highlander is 10,000 miles (16,000km) on 0w20 and it's Direct Injected. It calls for 0w20.

And what's the shear down and fuel dilution numbers in the UOA after 10K miles of use? Oil shear down rate is also very dependent on the oil and motor it's used in.

When I run the first UOA I will post it here. But looking at other 2GR-FKS on here there is almost no shearing and no fuel dilution issues. That's a properly engineered engine. Supporting my point.

To be more precise, it's the manual that calls for 0W20, not the engine(ers).
laugh.gif

Show me the proof that cars are lasting a lot less time on 20wt versus 30wt because of the CAFE standard. That's what I asked.

See there's your histrionics playin up again...read what I am saying...don't ask for the pile of failed engines strawmen, as I've NEVER offered it.

Not what OE's are doing and why.

Why is this assembly of facts excluded from the discussion ?

To suit your histrionic strawman ?

They are doing what they are doing because of the environment they are selling into and the regulations around it.

What they are doing is perfectly eligible to be discussed, whether it makes you uncomfortable or not.

I cannot point to the question that you are specifically asking, as I've never stated that...neither has anyone here.

Another uncomfortable fact is that GM (Holden) specify Dexos 2 in engines down here that are specced Dexos 1 in the states...that's high HTHS (>3.5)...that's what the OEMs are doing here...we don't have CAFE.

Show me the proof that cars are lasting a lot less time on 20wt versus 30wt because of the CAFE standard. That's what I asked.

Conversely...show me proof that there's not a single trade off being made for economy.

Originally Posted by nap
And IMO it's because of improper engineering to handle the 20wt oil so it should be back peddled as a band-aid solution.

I don't think I'm following you correctly here, what is the improper engineering, designing the engine in a certain way, or specifying the wrong oil for it?

If an OE spec's a 20wt oil and then has to back peddle it to a 30wt because of some issue that it can't handle the 20wt without some sort of problem. This is poor engineering on the OE's part to have built the engine for the oil specification they printed in the manual. Whether that be enhanced oil cooling, changing bearing design or whatever it is that is stopping the engine from running on the 20wt like any other engine that is spec'ed for it and runs fine on it.

Hope that makes is more clear.
smile.gif

Yes we can call it poor engineering, and 30 grade oil comes to the rescue while they try and figure out what they screwed up, and fix it going forward. In your example it shows me three things off the top of my head worth mentioning:

1. 20 grade oil wasn't up to the task.
2. Engineers don't always know what's best.
3. Then we have to wait and hope the redesign/fix works. I'd stick with the 30 grade and play it safe.
wink.gif

O'toole's law: Murphy was an optimist. I'm not out for every bit of MPG. I'm gonna go to 5w30 in my Camry just to see if I can feel a difference. 20 yrs driving air cooled bugs gave me an appreciation for thick oil. I also make sure the spare is inflated and the jack works.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by nap
And IMO it's because of improper engineering to handle the 20wt oil so it should be back peddled as a band-aid solution.

I don't think I'm following you correctly here, what is the improper engineering, designing the engine in a certain way, or specifying the wrong oil for it?

If an OE spec's a 20wt oil and then has to back peddle it to a 30wt because of some issue that it can't handle the 20wt without some sort of problem. This is poor engineering on the OE's part to have built the engine for the oil specification they printed in the manual. Whether that be enhanced oil cooling, changing bearing design or whatever it is that is stopping the engine from running on the 20wt like any other engine that is spec'ed for it and runs fine on it.

Hope that makes is more clear.
smile.gif

Yes we can call it poor engineering, and 30 grade oil comes to the rescue while they try and figure out what they screwed up, and fix it going forward. In your example it shows me three things off the top of my head worth mentioning:

1. 20 grade oil wasn't up to the task.
2. Engineers don't always know what's best.
3. Then we have to wait and hope the redesign/fix works. I'd stick with the 30 grade and play it safe.
wink.gif

Let me fix that for you.

1. The OE didn't properly design the application around the oil that was spec'ed for the application.
2. Engineers should know what they are building and the requirements of the lubricant to be used.
3. Lots of engines run 20wt's no problem. It's the ones poorly engineered that need 30wt's to remedy their problems not every engine.
(Excludes engines that truly need a thicker oil because of Turbo's, Racing, Performance, Heavy Hauling etc.)

Last edited:

Let me fix that for you.

1. The OE didn't properly design the application around the oil that was spec'ed for the application.
2. Engineers should know what they are building and the requirements of the lubricant to be used.
3. Lots of engines run 20wt's no problem. It's the ones poorly engineered that need 30wt's to remedy their problems not every engine.
(Excludes engines that truly need a thicker oil because of Turbo's, Racing, Performance, Heavy Hauling etc.)

It was fine the way I had it, based on what I was replying to.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Let me fix that for you.

It was fine the way I had it, based on what I was replying to.
wink.gif

Sorry I read it wrong. My bad.

I mean, FFS, you'd think that 5W-30 wasn't a "CAFE" evil conspiracy oil to begin with. I mean, we have to draw the line somewhere! LOL..

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
I mean, FFS, you'd think that 5W-30 wasn't a "CAFE" evil conspiracy oil to begin with. I mean, we have to draw the line somewhere! LOL..

It's funny because when I first joined BITOG back in the day you had the 20w50 crowd arguing with the 30wt crowd. Now it's the 30's and the 20's.

It's funny because when I first joined BITOG back in the day you had the 20w50 crowd arguing with the 30wt crowd. Now it's the 30's and the 20's.

I recall that as well, but the arguments are just cyclical at this point. Nearly 20 years on of the advent of SJ< generation of 5W-20 oils, we're still arguing the same nonsense....

I'm still a firm believer in using what the manual spec's for your driving condition and then once break in is done do a couple of UOA's to establish a trend and safe OCI, and then change one variable at a time like weight, brand, whatever to see how it affects it and whatever the optimal solution is for your application sort of thing.

And, back in the days, 5W20 was just for the Arctic...

C4CDA081-CD69-44B3-90FD-C12726256D61.jpeg

Yes, that generation of Group I 5W-20 was terrible, I'm told. The "continuous high speed driving" clause was also said about the 70's-80's generation of 5W-30's as well. Sometime I'll post pics..

Last edited:
If an OE spec's a 20wt oil and then has to back peddle it to a 30wt because of some issue that it can't handle the 20wt without some sort of problem. This is poor engineering on the OE's part to have built the engine for the oil specification they printed in the manual. Whether that be enhanced oil cooling, changing bearing design or whatever it is that is stopping the engine from running on the 20wt like any other engine that is spec'ed for it and runs fine on it.Hope that makes is more clear.
smile.gif

The only case I can think of off the top of my head where something spec'd for a 5w-20 was changed to a 5w-30 was the EcoBoost IIRC. And that was, at least in part, due to fuel dilution, which is an issue with DI.

What Shannow has mentioned is that outside of CAFE markets, you'll find that *insert your favourite engine here* often specs a heavier lubricant. He's provided a couple of examples with engines spec'ing Dexos 2 instead of Dexos 1 for example. Why? I assume both are equally as available.

So it isn't that the engine is necessarily designed to be run on the 20 but rather that it will achieve an acceptable lifespan under typical operating conditions running on that grade, so it is a non-issue. That doesn't however mean that the 30 isn't a step-up in performance, even if it isn't significant for the typical engine under a typical usage profile.

Australia is hot, so usage in Australia would be more akin to operating in Texas or Arizona. However, CAFE is nation-wide, so the same oil that has to work in Minnesota also needs to in Texas. That's a compromise. Ergo, mechanisms are put in place to ensure that any issues will be reasonably mitigated, be it via specific output throttling or otherwise. That doesn't make it any more ideal, it's simply accommodation of limitation.

As I said earlier, it comes back to chasing the delta between startup and operating temperature. The smaller you can make this, the more fuel you save, hence the pursuit. Because of the limits being pushed more Moly is being used to counteract the increased operation in boundary at that end of the Streibech Curve. On top of that, as already mentioned, controls are put in place to control oil temperature and thermal watchdogs used to limit output if thresholds are passed. All this in pursuit of that fraction of a MPG.

Back in the day of course you had a table (like the one posted above) that showed expected operating conditions and the respective recommendations for those conditions. As oils have improved and grades like 5w-50, 0w-40...etc have come about, that seasonal guide is less important. The message of that guide however should not be dismissed. There is no single perfect grade of oil. When it's -30C and your oil temp can't get up to operating, even a 5w-20 may be too heavy. When it's +30C and you are hard on the pedal heading up a mountain pass, that 5w-20 may be too thin to be "optimal". That doesn't mean catastrophic failure, simply that something heavier would do a better job. Perhaps there are parts now in boundary that would be better in hydrodynamic for example.

What these safeties don't account for however, is fuel dilution, which reduces viscosity as well. So while you can manipulate sump size, cooler choice and thermal-driven output limiters, if you are not accounting for additional viscosity reduction via fuel dilution, you increase risk of damage as the limits of those parameters are approached. This will become more of an issue as thinner and thinner oils are introduced. It's one thing when your 0w-40 ends up a 0w-30, it's quite another when your 0w-20 becomes a 0w-12. The safety margin gets smaller and smaller and operation in boundary increases and so we rely on additives to deal with that. That means no "pile of failed engines" but it also means that we are stepping out of the range of optimal wear protection for the sake of pursuing fuel economy.

Fuel Dilution - Poor control from poor engineering. You can see not all OE's have this issue in TGDI and GDI engines from the UOA's posted here so it is possible.

20wt - Normal circumstances I agree will be fine and even if a 30wt is optimal as is claimed in the grand scheme of things it will make no difference in the engine longevity over the long run unless you are running the engine out to really long mileage to say 500k+ miles and not within 200K miles where most people junk their vehicles. Even for Bitogers that run it longer will most likely see no benefit and will have traded the optimal cold flow properties and possible fuel economy gains in fear that they might be doing their engine harm not using a 30 because that's what the rest of the world without CAFE uses.

Again this isn't for performance applications, beating on Turbo's, heavy hauling/towing, sustained really high rates of speed, extreme heat all contributing to beating up the oil. I'm talking about properly designed engines that are typically found on the street, operated under normal conditions of going to work, cruising on the highway at reasonable speeds, getting groceries type of thing.

That's what I was getting at. I could care less what people try to use but to say that you should run a 30wt because a research paper says it might be optimal under conditions that didn't test every situation or a huge sample size is nonsense especially when most will junk the car long before that will be apparent even if it is the case. Especially given all the vehicles on the road running 20wts for the past decade that have had no issues with them unless the OE didn't engineer the vehicle around this spec. ie. fuel dilution, extreme heat, bearings that are compatible, insert other issue here sort of thing.

Not to highlight Toyota and Pick on GM specifically but this is two examples of where engineering an engine around a 20wt succeeded and failed. Toyota can seem to go long OCI's in direct injected engines on GF-5 oils with no special specifications and GM had to come out with Dexos to help remedy / prevent problems in their engines. Ford got it right in some engines and didn't in others and had to back peddle would be another example.

Last edited:
I will add that fuel dilution isn't poor engineering. Excessive enrichment is used to prevent knock in high compression engines and to ward off detonation in ones using forced induction. With forced induction, you WILL get fuel dilution, because ring seal isn't perfect, it's simply the nature of the beast.

Pretty much every high performance engine runs a factory-rich tune, and you'll see that in your UOA's. My M5 had wicked fuel dilution due to WOT enrichment to deal with its high compression and specific output. This is even worse on a boosted engine where the tune is even richer and there is more blow-by due to the increased cylinder pressures.

Now, typically high performance engines spec heavier oils. Forced induction engines also have as well. However, we are seeing that the latest crop of low displacement turbocharged engines spec'ing lighter oils are, as expected, ending up with fuel in the oil. This has the potential to be problematic.

That's what I was getting at. I could care less what people try to use but to say that you should run a 30wt because a research paper says it might be optimal under conditions that didn't test every situation or a huge sample size is nonsense especially when most will junk the car long before that will be apparent even if it is the case.

I guess I don't consider any of my vehicles "disposable", and hence a valid reason to run a certain oil viscosity. And there have been plenty of tests done and documented over the years that show higher HTHS (which is generally obtained with higher viscosity oils) does give better MOFT and wear protection. That fact is hard to debunk with non-strawman arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back