Ok I take it back about Keurig

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a pod maker and precut pod filter papers off Amazon years ago and still rock my Senseo with my own half caff bean blend. If you set it up assembly line style it doesn't take long.

I've had a Senseo machine since 2003, I bought a second one to have one at work (where I consumed most of my coffee) and one at home (evenings of decaf and weekends). I used large diameter cups / soup mugs and had both product streams go in the same cup, certainly not continental but I'm more about functionality and adaptation than tradition.

We found them available in pastry / coffe shops in Curacao and Bonaire in the Dutch Caribbean on scuba vacations. My one business trip to Germany in 2007 my host at the engineering company Uhde had his own Senseo machine in his office. The coffe brand in the factory pods was Douwe Egberts, which is to the Dutch what Folger's is to the US. I preferred making my own pod blends, especially half caff versions to dampen the oscillations of the caffiene rollercoaster. It was literally life support equipment for this South Texas boy when I lived in the Great Lakes area. Some Torani French Vanilla syrup, no-refrigeration-required half & half, and I was in poor boy latte heaven with far easier machine maintenance than a true espresso machine.

I had many amusing moments in the workplace when people would see me pull a bottle with amber tinted liquid in a liquor bottle type shape out of my desk drawer and "doctor up" my personally brewed coffee - I always offered them a snort, whether a supervisor, direct report, co-worker, vendor rep, then turned the bottle so they could read the label.

Last edited:
I really wish I could Caffeine on an IV-bag and just keep it hooked up all day.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by javacontour

Tried the Keurig, for a couple of years with the refillable pod and was never satisfied. Could never use enough coffee to make anything other than colored water.

The problem with the refillable pod is that the grind must be consistent and of the correct size for the machine. That can only be done with a quality burr-grinder and a lot of experimentation..

Originally Posted by StevieC
lol.gif

Just stir in a little butter. The butterfat allegedly slows down the absorption of caffeine.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by StevieC
lol.gif

Just stir in a little butter. The butterfat allegedly slows down the absorption of caffeine.

I do make bulletproof coffee (not the brand the recipe with butter) but I use Ghee. When you froth it up in the blender it make it taste like a latee. It's quite nice and I do get a nice boost from it.
I only do this when I'm eating though so as to not break my fast with the fat. Otherwise during fasting it's black dark roast or water only.

Last edited:
We have a commercial Bunn at work and I'm happy with whatever coffee they buy to throw in that through the day.

I have a 12-cup Bunn pot at home, but only use it if I have company. Otherwise, I use the Keurig.

I'm happy with the quality of it, although I wish it were less expensive to run with commercial pods. My go-to these days is usually the plain red Krispy Creme(it use to be called Classic-they've recently renamed it and changed the taste a bit, although they claim the latter isn't true), but have used a fair few different medium roasts and like most of what I get out of it. Gevalia is good, as is 8 O'Clock(the latter, whether pre-ground or beans, has always been one of my go-tos in drip pots, so it was a natural choice for me in the Keurig). I found some dirt cheap generic branded pods at Rural King that were $8 or $9 for a box of 40, and they were surprisingly good but I don't make it to Rural King often enough to keep a regular supply of them.

My parents also use a Keurig daily. My mom usually drinks Krispy Kreme or Gevalia also, while my dad puts pre-ground Folgers in a reusable cup to make coffee-colored water. I'll put in a side note that I'm not an anti-Folgers snob-in fact it's what we generally have in the work pot and by volume I probably drink more Folgers than any other brand. I've found both the Folgers pre-made K-cups, and Folgers packed in a reusable K-cup, though, to be far too weak for my liking.

For the odd occasion that the big pot is down at work, I also have an old GE electric percolator that I keep in my office. I'll fire it up occasionally too because I'll get an notion that I want percolated coffee, and have introduced some other folks at work to the "wonders" of it.

Since there's been some discussion in this thread of Bunn coffee makers, I feel obligate to mention my user name, which refers to a signature product of the Illinois Watch Company of Springfield, Illinois. The Bunn Special grade(and the earlier Bunn) were named after Jacob Bunn, who was one of the founders of the Illinois Watch Company and also a law partner to Abraham Lincoln. The Bunn family stayed involved in industry around Springfield, with Jacob Bunn later co-founding the Sangamo Electric company, and a fair few years later another Bunn family member founding the Bunn-O-Matic corporation.

Last edited:
I have a Bunn commercial unit I bought a few years ago on the advice of a member here. It has been a great unit that I love for home use. I use that typically on weekends when I'm going to be home and will drink the whole pot. Sometimes I will use my glass percolator on the stove instead. At the office when I'm here, I use the Keurig because the pods are free. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back