Oils With Most Moly and No Moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gebo
Excellent advice for the High Molys. Seems like any Pennzoil or Quaker State would be the choices for High Moly.

What are the brand names with NO Moly?

There are many...use PQIA, BITOG or your Google machine.. Many mfgs use boron and/or sodium as AW addys in their formulation, especially when one additive can serve dual/multiple purposes making it cost effective.

Why not just run some low, (or no) moly oil like (maybe some Mobil 1 formulations?) and then use the same oil at the next OCI and add a bottle of Mos2 and see if you can tell the difference?

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Why not just run some low, (or no) moly oil like (maybe some Mobil 1 formulations?) and then use the same oil at the next OCI and add a bottle of Mos2 and see if you can tell the difference?

Dunno how "scientific" this little exercise will be. As i stated many mfgs of pcmo's up the boron and/or sodium content in lieu of moly. How can you attribute any lack or presence of "noise" to the missing moly or the added boron/sodium?...or even a change in the base oil a formulator might make depending on the additives used, from one formula to the next.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Excellent advice for the High Molys. Seems like any Pennzoil or Quaker State would be the choices for High Moly.

What are the brand names with NO Moly?

There are many...use PQIA, BITOG or your Google machine.. Many mfgs use boron and/or sodium as AW addys in their formulation, especially when one additive can serve dual/multiple purposes making it cost effective.

I am just looking for 2-3 top brand names.

Which of the major oils (those you can purchase in Walmart, NAPA, Autozone)
OK, I am getting caught up in the quest of the quietest oil...

Redline 5w30 case over, good day.

But, if you want to test moly, I'd go with lubegard's biotech to your favorite oil, oil soluble moly not like mos2, or if you want high moly oil shaeffers is a winner. I'm not 100% sold moly would be the answer, it would be if the engine creates the conditions for the moly to activate basically heat and pressure plus time, but you might get a result from testing different viscosities if you can as well.

Originally Posted by burla
Which of the major oils (those you can purchase in Walmart, NAPA, Autozone)
OK, I am getting caught up in the quest of the quietest oil...

Redline 5w30 case over, good day.

But, if you want to test moly, I'd go with lubegard's biotech to your favorite oil, oil soluble moly not like mos2, or if you want high moly oil shaeffers is a winner. I'm not 100% sold moly would be the answer, it would be if the engine creates the conditions for the moly to activate basically heat and pressure plus time, but you might get a result from testing different viscosities if you can as well.

This^

If you want high moly over the counter, SOPUS products are the easiest to find.

If you wanna order or go through a dealer, grab a 5 gallon bucket of Redline or Schaeffers, which are higher doses of moly compared to the normal otc stuff

Also, with every vehicle I've ever owned, QSGB has been quietest

Last edited:
Originally Posted by paoester
Most moly at walmart would be Rotella Gas Truck (not Rotella T6 diesel oil, the gas truck one only).
HDEO diesel engine oils many times have little to no moly. If they say motorcycle JASO MA on them, they don't have moly, & I thought some diesel oils said that, and of course motorcycle oils.
For "sound tests", viscosity should not be a variable. Magnatec has claimed a slightly quieter result in some of their marketing info, and those have normal moly and some titanium, with an organic friction modifier maybe.

Eh not so fast on No Moly on JASO MA.. Castrol Power 4T has 50ppm moly.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...umph-trophy-se-castrol-10w40#Post5247111

Also before you pull the trigger you need to decide if you are going with trinucular moly or dinucular moly.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I always consider a "high moly oil" to have triple digit ppm of moly (a minimum of 150ppm).

I could swear i came across an old (as in several yrs back) thread where Mola stated anything over 400ppm was the point of diminished returns with respect to moly. (i may be wrong so don't skewer mola if that's the case..i don't want to attribute something to him that he in fact never said)

I'll see if i can find that thread...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I always consider a "high moly oil" to have triple digit ppm of moly (a minimum of 150ppm).

I could swear i came across an old (as in several yrs back) thread where Mola stated anything over 400ppm was the point of diminished returns with respect to moly.

I'll see if i can find that thread...

Also, I think I read somewhere that there are different types of Moly these days, and the PPM level the oil blenders use depends on the type of Moly.

Paoester, as his name implies, specializes in the obscure and hard to find....‚.. I'm waiting for him to recommend some lube made from ester of Emu fat....‚

Hard to find? Amazon delivers in 2 days. You must be living under a rock to not know about Amazon. Obscure? Its the same as Mazda house brand.
Actually, from your posts, you also have no background in engineering or automotive anything. Which makes you recommend cooking oil as the universal motor oil all the time.

Paoester, as his name implies, specializes in the obscure and hard to find....‚.. I'm waiting for him to recommend some lube made from ester of Emu fat....‚

Hard to find? Amazon delivers in 2 days. You must be living under a rock to not know about Amazon. - as was already pointed out, the OP was looking at oils available at brick and mortar but once again you go off the reservation with your [Amazon] recommendation... and I'm actually surprised you didn't recommend some lube with euro approvals..how "naive" of you....

Obscure? Its the same as Mazda house brand. - idemitsu in Wally's, never heard of her....‚
Actually, from your posts, you also have no background in engineering or automotive anything. Which makes you recommend cooking oil as the universal motor oil all the time. - wrong but nice try young Padawan....‚

Piece of advice... don't quit your day job for comedy, it's not your wheelhouse.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Start your search at the PQIA web site.

From what I saw a lot of their info years old?

Ahh they did a lot of big name oils in the past year. .

Mobil 1, Castrol black bottle, Valvoline Maxlife, Havoline high mileage, Havoline black bottle, Motorcraft, STP, etc etc etc...

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Most moly at walmart would be Rotella Gas Truck (not Rotella T6 diesel oil, the gas truck one only).
HDEO diesel engine oils many times have little to no moly. If they say motorcycle JASO MA on them, they don't have moly, & I thought some diesel oils said that, and of course motorcycle oils.
For "sound tests", viscosity should not be a variable. Magnatec has claimed a slightly quieter result in some of their marketing info, and those have normal moly and some titanium, with an organic friction modifier maybe.

Eh not so fast on No Moly on JASO MA.. Castrol Power 4T has 50ppm moly.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...umph-trophy-se-castrol-10w40#Post5247111

shell advance ultra 10w40 (MA2) and motul 7100 10w30 (also MA2) both had moly shown on my UOAs posted on this forum. Shell had 109ppm and motul 26ppm.

[Linked Image]

Just looking for a readily available. I'm not interested in mail order or Amazon.

Just looking for a readily available. I'm not interested in mail order or Amazon.

Do you have a Tractor Supply?
Traveller is a sleeper oil. Its quiet, and be had for 13$/5qt, and contains no moly.

They also sell Pennzoil and RGT, so you can compare them to Traveller. I'm interested. Just dont be freezing your oil in the garage beer mini-fridge or cooking it in coffee pots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back