High moly vs low moly vs titanium

I am currently using valvoline oil's (which ever is on sale at walmart) for my oil changes because it seems it has the most moly within that "off the shelf" 25$/5qt range. What's with other oils having very low moly counts (in the 10-80) range? Is it better to have more dinuclear moly or less tri nuclear moly? (in my logic, the more moly particles the more surface area coverage?) Or would it be straight up better to use something like Castrol with their titanium package?

Moreover, is the small amount of titanium that is sometimes present in Castrol oils AW or FM, or just an antioxidant, which looks so good in marketing documents and has nothing to do with friction and/or wear?

Is Castrol Edge still using Titanium? I thought they departed that train with SP.

Speaking of departing a train, I jumped off the Valvoline Advanced / EP train because they continue with upper levels of Calcium.... even in GF-6 / Dexos 1 / SP. But I gotta' admit, my vehicles ran the quietest and smoothest on it's 5w30.

Sometimes I jump off friggin' trains for all the wrong reasons. I might regret my decision..... nah, nevermind. I don't think I will. I'm happy using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Mobiil-1 EP and Castrol Edge EP. None of these brands display Calcium levels in four digits and with that, I carry a big smile, despite all the bruises & scrapes falling off that darn train.

To find a good quality oil, I look for some more demanding approvals, and with less known brands I double-check that the oil really has the indicated approval. I usually look for some of the MB229 approvals, Porsche approval is a nice assurance for spirited driving.

Is Castrol Edge still using Titanium? I thought they departed that train with SP.

Speaking of departing a train, I jumped off the Valvoline Advanced / EP train because they continue with upper levels of Calcium.... even in GF-6 / Dexos 1 / SP. But I gotta' admit, my vehicles ran the quietest and smoothest on it's 5w30.

Sometimes I jump off friggin' trains for all the wrong reasons. I might regret my decision..... nah, nevermind. I don't think I will. I'm happy using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Mobiil-1 EP and Castrol Edge EP. None of these brands display Calcium levels in four digits and with that, I carry a big smile, despite all the bruises & scrapes falling off that darn train.
At least based on some oil analysis done here...there are anywhere between 20 and 80 ppm...residue at the factor XD?

Yeah i tried the mobil1 train because of all the constant hype. Went back to Valvoline.
Why are you looking for low calcium?

At least based on some oil analysis done here...there are anywhere between 20 and 80 ppm...residue at the factor XD?

Yeah i tried the mobil1 train because of all the constant hype. Went back to Valvoline.
Why are you looking for low calcium?
Perfect example of someone making oil choices based on either UOA or PDS typical values and not knowing what any of it means (hint: not much). You seem to be doing mostly Internet searching and then copying and pasting.

Petr and Shel_B have given you the best advice so far in this thread.

Perfect example of someone making oil choices based on either UOA or PDS typical values and not knowing what any of it means (hint: not much). You seem to be doing mostly Internet searching and then copying and pasting.

Petr and Shel_B have given you the best advice so far in this thread.
you got a problem bro?
Instead of sitting on your high horse why don't you come down to us mere mortals and explain to us what we are missing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-31 112615.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-31 112615.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 79
Just having MOAR doesn't inherently make a product better. Too much phosphorus is corrosive for example, too much of some additives cause deposit issues. FM selection and concentration is based on balancing the intended effect (FM and complimenting the AW chemistry) with avoiding the creation of unwanted deposits.

Your typical OTS oil does not have much in the way of solvency. The base oils used are very "dry" and typically a small amount of a lower group oil, though sometimes esters or AN's are used, is added to provide sufficient solvency for the additive package. The intention is for the dispersants and detergents to prevent deposits, the oils are not blended to clean up existing ones.

Infineum's work on trimer moly showed that the concentration could be greatly reduced when compared to dimer moly, while still providing the same effect. Ergo, this is why you see low levels of moly in companies that deal with infineum (Mobil, Shell).

While companies like @High Performance Lubricants go balls-to-the-wall with FM chemistry, using trimer, dimer and even tungsten in varying doses, depending on what the testing yields for a given product during development, they are able to do this because their oils have extremely high levels of solvency, using both esters and AN's in their base oil blend. This gives them much more flexibility with respect to additive chemistry, because there is far lower risk of producing deposits.

Just having MOAR doesn't inherently make a product better. Too much phosphorus is corrosive for example, too much of some additives cause deposit issues. FM selection and concentration is based on balancing the intended effect (FM and complimenting the AW chemistry) with avoiding the creation of unwanted deposits.

Your typical OTS oil does not have much in the way of solvency. The base oils used are very "dry" and typically a small amount of a lower group oil, though sometimes esters or AN's are used, is added to provide sufficient solvency for the additive package. The intention is for the dispersants and detergents to prevent deposits, the oils are not blended to clean up existing ones.

Infineum's work on trimer moly showed that the concentration could be greatly reduced when compared to dimer moly, while still providing the same effect. Ergo, this is why you see low levels of moly in companies that deal with infineum (Mobil, Shell).

While companies like @High Performance Lubricants go balls-to-the-wall with FM chemistry, using trimer, dimer and even tungsten in varying doses, depending on what the testing yields for a given product during development, they are able to do this because their oils have extremely high levels of solvency, using both esters and AN's in their base oil blend. This gives them much more flexibility with respect to additive chemistry, because there is far lower risk of producing deposits.
Thanks for that explanation. (y)
What is MOAR?

Hats of for the explanation.

Back