Oil Weight and Ambient Temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Heavier oils grades require higher oil temp's to avoid reduced oil flow.

:yawn: ...again... flow is NOT lubrication, no matter how many times you say it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What sort of driving conditions do Australians see that require such a thicker weight then?

Autobahn users I can understand (High RPM's), but Australia? Its just super hot right? I am not aware of any autobahn like driving.. Never been to Australia though either.
laugh.gif

You are thinking backwards...what is it about American's driving habits that means that manufacturer's bowing to CAFE pressures select a single, low viscosity oil for every user ?

1) CAFE consider lower engine viscosity to be a primary economy tool.
2) CAFE have so much faith in 1) that they will allow a vehicle back specced to a thinner lubricant to receive retrospective CAFE credits.
3) CAFE have "antibacksliding" measures mandated to ensure that the user is most likely to use an oil consistent with what it was certified on (thus single grades in the manual, and viscosities written on the cap).

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What sort of driving conditions do Australians see that require such a thicker weight then?

Autobahn users I can understand (High RPM's), but Australia? Its just super hot right? I am not aware of any autobahn like driving.. Never been to Australia though either.
laugh.gif

You are thinking backwards...what is it about American's driving habits that means that manufacturer's bowing to CAFE pressures select a single, low viscosity oil for every user ?

1) CAFE consider lower engine viscosity to be a primary economy tool.
2) CAFE have so much faith in 1) that they will allow a vehicle back specced to a thinner lubricant to receive retrospective CAFE credits.
3) CAFE have "antibacksliding" measures mandated to ensure that the user is most likely to use an oil consistent with what it was certified on (thus single grades in the manual, and viscosities written on the cap).

Well done again, and thanks for posting the previous charts. I don't agree with the one size fits all mind set, and caught occasional heat for it. Your charts and logic back up the fact that one size fits all isn't the best way to go.

Originally Posted By: Keystone
Are you saying flow has no effect on lubrication?

Well, if you don't have flow, you don't have lubrication.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Keystone
Are you saying flow has no effect on lubrication?

Are you repeating the mantra that flow IS lubrication.

Yes, zero flow means no lubrication but flow does not equal lubrication. e.g. bearings draw from the pressurised gallery...you can't jam more oil through them (aka 101 and CATERHAM's posits) for more lubrication.

what is your position ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back