Pertua 15w-30 SN, almost monograde with minimal VIs

1706763437336.jpg

Product page
Data Sheet
MSDS

Pertua is one of a few local oil blenders in the Philippines. Made some noise back in the 90s with their miracle in a can oil additive (reduces friction, increases mpg, quiets the engine--the usual marketing jargon). This is an unusual product since nobody really makes 15w30 anymore (short of a monograde). It also has a modern SN "specification." I put quotes on since Pertua doesn't appear on the API EOLCS website. Since I prefer oils with less VI I always am on the lookout for these.

1706763673974.jpg

Their data sheet leaves a lot to be desired. Only with KV40/KV100 and VI. Having a VI of 97 means its most likely a Group II conventional.

1706763750075.jpg

1706763763242.jpg

Their MSDS have slightly different values for KV40/KV100. Whats notable is the higher flash point (though its not specified which test they've used). Density of 0.8854 g/ml which is higher than other modern 30 weight oils I've looked at.

Would this be good to use on a modern engine requiring 30 weight oil? Seems good to run on a temperate/tropical region that never sees less than 25C/77F but since its conventional I wouldn't run it for extended drains.

Last edited:
"Fully formulated gas engine oil for gasoline and CNG/LPG fueled spark ignition engines where conventional API SN passenger car motor oils are recommended"

I would have an oil analysis done before pouring this into an engine. This oil claims to be compliant with SN performance levels but without any regulatory oversight - like the API or PQIA here in the USA - its difficult to know whether this is true.

API sn isnt exactly upto date.. being a spec that was released 14 years ago and has been superseded twice.
I'd run it in my gas tractor no problem.

With a VI of ~98 it looks like a monograde, or very close to it.
If it does meet API SN, then that would suggest a Group-II monograde. Which sounds good to me.

You live in a hot climate (Philippines ), which means starting should be OK.

Do you trust the company?
I’ve run a Penrite SAE30 monograde in my car (recently), because I too live in a hot climate and I trusted Penrite as a company.

You could get an VOA, oil analysis of the fresh oil, if you really wanted to investigate further. Then you can check it’s viscosity, it’s TBN level and it’s ZDDP level. It doesn’t prove it’s API SN, but you would expect to see reasonable numbers similar to other known API SN 30 grade oils.

You want a place that measures sulphur levels, as this will separate a Group-I (bad) from a Group-II (good).

Back