Oil type and engine temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I changed my oil getting ready for winter. Went from Pennzoil ultra 5w40 to mobil 1 0 w 40. I swear the engine now runs 3 degrees C warmer. Is this possible or I am crazy?

Ask Shannow to show the Stribeck on bearings vs, endofriction of thicker oils
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: used_0il
That is normal. The temperature will return to normal after the varnish is all burnt off.

Huh?

Originally Posted By: expat
Normally people change to a lower viscosity for the winter months.

I thought 0w40 was lower than 5w40 (for cold starting)?

Excuse my newbieness

Originally Posted By: dgjks6
So I changed my oil getting ready for winter. Went from Pennzoil ultra 5w40 to mobil 1 0 w 40. I swear the engine now runs 3 degrees C warmer. Is this possible or I am crazy?

To give an answer to your question, it is possible but you are crazy to think you can detect a 3 degree C change and attribute it to the oil. How are you measuring that and what are you measuring exactly? Coolant temperature?

temp increase is likely do to a driving condition and not the oil. it doesnt matter how many times you drive the same route, each trip has a different condition.

Eh?

Back in the day I switched several vehicles from whatever they were running to Esso XD-3 0W40.
For the 1st tank of gas, the engines ran hot and smelled like they were burning.
Years later the same... switching from conventional to mono-grades or group III synthetics.
It seems like changing group type produces this result.

Originally Posted By: expat
Normally people change to a lower viscosity for the winter months.

I thought 0w40 was lower than 5w40 (for cold starting)?

Excuse my newbieness

My mistake, I read Mobil 1 0w-40, As Mobil 10w-40

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Ask Shannow to show the Stribeck on bearings vs, endofriction of thicker oils
grin.gif

Just because you don't understand a single topic to do with lubrication is no reason to go all troll on me.

Why WAS your rosetta persona banned again ?

I'm no expert but my wife's new car with an oil temp guage read 214f on the way to town while 104f outside. Then a few days later it read 224f on the same stretch while it was only 80f outside. So my car runs cooler the hotter it is outside I guess. My wife thinks I'm crazy!

How many miles did you have on the Pennzoil? Likely that oil has sheared in use, so the fresh M1 0w-40 is a bit thicker/heavier at operating temp, in comparison. Heavier oil typically results in slightly higher operating temps.

However, 3 degrees difference is within a margin of error. Way too many other factors that could have contributed.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

How many miles did you have on the Pennzoil? Likely that oil has sheared in use, so the fresh M1 0w-40 is a bit thicker/heavier at operating temp, in comparison. Heavier oil typically results in slightly higher operating temps.

However, 3 degrees difference is within a margin of error. Way too many other factors that could have contributed.

Very logical reasonings indeed.

I believe oil temperature reading is very sensitive to immediate/prior engine rpm and

load/acceleration , unlike steady coolant temperature reading .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
from my experience with an oil cooler equipped car, it's rpm mostly that determines oil temperature

Bingo...RPM is the rate at which bearings and pistons shear the oil, and waste energy (power) doing so...THAT's what heats the oil.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
from my experience with an oil cooler equipped car, it's rpm mostly that determines oil temperature

It's not rpm per se that can increase oil temp's
but increased working load or power output that accompanies higher rev's.
Those that live in mountainous areas can often notice this effect with oil temp's noticably lower when descending a miles long road because
the throttle is predominately closed.

In my experience including 1,000s of track miles it's throttle position and ambient temp's at the road surface that are the two largest factors that impact oil temp's.
The only time an oils viscosity can be a factor is if the oil pump is still in by-pass or relief mode because it's too heavy reducing oil
flow. The OP has mentioned running two 40 multi- grade oils but not the vehicle in question.

From my experience oil can be a factor. About 7-8 years ago I changed M1 0W40 to PP 5W20 in my MB E430 and went to Vegas in summer. There are some steep hills outside Death Valley on I-15, the coolant temperature was 86-88C while climbing those hills, with M1 0W40 on the same hills with same speed of 85 MPH(cruise controlled) the coolant temperature was 94-95C. Both times ambient temperature were mid 120 F.

Yes, I saw coolant temperature dropped 3-7C on the way down within 1 mile from top of the hill.

Since oil and coolant temperature go hand in hand, in my case oil temperature is related to viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back