Oil Life Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by pitzel
DI engines are very sensitive to overly frequent changing of oil.

In what way?

Important to adhere to the OLM and not change the oil more frequently than spec'ed by the OLM. DI engines are very sensitive to overly frequent changing of oil.

Thats not what I am trying to say and you know it ,

if the OLM is proven right more than once by an engine oil analysis, then the oil stays in for the same OCI in the future . despite whats implied in the sarcasm of your post.

DI and fuel dilution yes they go hands in hands, but if there is no harmfull dilution reported why changing it ? If its to make you to sleep better then ok

But one cant choose science only when it suits his needs or beliefs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
DI engines are very sensitive to overly frequent changing of oil.

In what way?

Brand new motor oil contains components that volatilize particularly during the first few hours of operation. And then subsequently lessen. So the more often oil is changed, the greater the exposure of the engine, in particular the PCV system and the intake, to such volatilized oil.

The engines that run into the intake contamination issues almost universally were changing oil either more frequently than spec, or with improper oils.

My .02. Owned 2010 Accord coupe w/3.5 V6. Manual called for API premium conventional 5W-20. Maintenance Minder would typically hit 0% at 9-10k miles. Longest ever to 0% was 11.4k miles. Currently own 2016 HRV (with 1.8 and CVT). Manual calls for API 0W-20. Doesn't say synthetic. Just says 0W-20. Maintenance Minder typically hits 0% at 10k miles. Currently have 6k miles on this change and MM is at 50%. So I would say... change at 0% on MM or 10k miles or 1year, whichever comes first.

The engines that run into the intake contamination issues almost universally were changing oil either more frequently than spec, or with improper oils.

No, the engines that run into this issue are the ones that were designed poorly in the first place, frequent oil changes aren't the root cause. The LT1 engine in the Corvette and the Mazda DI engines do not seem to suffer very much from intake valve deposits, because both of those engines have well designed PCV systems.

Based on what I've read of these vintage Honda motors, which appear easy on oil, I would suggest following the OLM with your synthetic oil choice. My reasoning is based on my own 2006 Civic Si, running dino Castrol GTX following OLM and my oil sampling. While your car is the base engine and will be different the only way of proof is for you to conduct your own oil samples based on OLM.
I purchased my car new with 6miles on it and started hitting VTEC after a little over 150miles on on it. I changed the oil early at 1931k miles with a TBN of 5.3 but viscosity low down to a SAE 10W. For all samples I ran Castrol GTX 5W30 per my manual with a new Honda oil filter. The next oil change took place at roughly 50% on the OLM with a TBN of 3.3. Next oil change was around the 5% according to the OLM with a TBN of 1.8. The next oil change I ran the OLM down to 0% which then started counting the mileage which I drove roughly 1k additional miles past 0% and changed the oil. That TBN was a 1.3. I sampled again about 6yrs later based on the OLM, which I used for every oil change on the car, with a TBN of 2.1 on what I used to do was anywhere from 5%-0% on the OLM. For roughly the last 147k I followed the OLM and continued to use Castrol GTX up until the latest changes to the GTX Ultraclean which I was surprised to see a higher than normal TBN after following the OLM as per the past 12years.

CTopher 2006 Civic Si oil samples

Based on this info I would suggest you test yourself following the OLM to determine if you are comfortable following its recommendations, especially over following some of the recommendations listed on this thread with no data behind them. In the end it's your car. I know that I drive like I stole my car every time I drive and based on what I've seen from tests, running Dino GTX, and having kicked over 150k of abusive miles I'm comfortable with Honda's conservative recommendation via the MM OLM.

CTopher

My2016 Dodge Grand Caravan OLM doesn't give percentages. It just says "Oil Change Due". Usually triggers around 10K miles. Currently using Napa Full Synthetic 0W/20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back