Oil gimmick discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TheMidnightNarwh
Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
What you are describing as "gimmicks" are just things. I'm not sure what the complaint is really about. As far as I can tell, you just don't like choices.

Gimmicks are silly things that don't actually work or are pure marketing hype. Things like semi-synthetics, conventionals, and full synthetics are not gimmicks. They are types of lubricants.

How are they not gimmicks. Who would not just follow their owner's manual recommendation. Manual will either say synthetic or not and grade.

What is the point of the rest of the oils I listed?

So now I'm confused about why you were even looking at these different types of oil. Just buy the OEM oil if that is your stance.

Companies compete with one another and just printing the same exact thing as the next one doesn't do much to catch a customer's eye. They aren't gimmicks, they are branding trying to convey a message. For instance, if they say something like "High Mileage" but actually offer nothing different in that formula from their other types, that would be a marketing gimmick. However, as far as I am aware, the formulas for different types are different in one way or another, thereby making them not gimmicks.

The definition of gimmicks is "a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or trade.". So they are.

So by that definition; the mere fact it is offered for sale, it has a price, it is in a container, the manufacturer has a website, they print their name on the container, etc. are all gimmicks.

33.gif

My oil change is due soon and I was looking for some oil on sale since that's the only way us Canadians can buy affordable engine oil... that said it is simply astonishing how much there seems to be some types of gimmicky oil? Not even talking about oil weights here.

You can get
- Fully synthetic
- Fully synthetic long lasting
- Synthetic blend
- High millage synth blend
- High mileage full synth
- Fuel economy
- Conventional
and probably more that I did not spot yet...

Like, what the F. Then I do some of my own research which show they appear to be gimmick and just sticking to whatever you had (full synthetic or conventional) is good enough. But then, how do the companies keep selling and having all these products up?

There are use cases for all of those, even if sometimes they're either just in the customer's mind, or mandated by the owner's manual..

Here's my take:
- Fully synthetic - Holds up better to wear, flows/pours better when it's cold (pretty much a requirement in the frigid north).. Some cars/warranties require this, and some climates require this.

- Fully synthetic long lasting - Synthetic, but with more additives (hopefully) to allow it to run longer without requiring a change. For those who don't want to bother with changing their oil so often.

- Synthetic blend - For those who are looking for some of the benefits of synthetic oil, but don't want to spend as much. In my case, I use a synth blend because having some synthetic in there is good, but my driving habits aren't quite as hard enough on the oil to warrant going full synth (mostly long, steady highway driving).

- High mileage synth blend - For those whose cars have higher mileage, and perhaps a few leaks, or burn some oil, a good HM oil will potentially help reduce those leaks and reduce some burning/consumption. AFAIK, the synth-blend part of it happens because a little synthetic in there is synergistic with the HM add pack, but I'm no chemist.

- High mileage full synth - Why not add some good cold-flow properties and longer-life to an already good HM add pack? If you have a high-mileage oil and live where it's cold, this seems like a no-brainer.

- Fuel economy - Engines are getting smaller, and cars are getting lighter, plus (at least for now) the EPA has mandated MPG requirements.. These oils just help achieve a tiny bit better fuel economy, which IMHO is not a bad thing.

- Conventional - Not everyone needs the above.. and a good conventional oil will easily get you to 3000-5000 miles between OCIs, on the cheap.

... again, those are my take on things. And, as I mentioned, each has its place, and many/most will be of zero use to lots of people. For example, I don't think putting a 'Fuel-conserving' oil is going to be something that someone who drives a PSD truck is going to go for.. and I have zero use for an "Annual Protection" type oil, since I change my oil regularly at 7,500 miles, as a rule.

just my
49.gif

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
I think that old South African's wine story, plus my background in formulating engine oils, has definitely coloured my attitude towards anything labelled (and priced) as 'premium'.

Wine, for all the guff that's heaped upon it, is just fermented grape juice. I don't know how much of it I've thrown down my neck over the last fifty years but it's A LOT! Yet even now, TBH, I'd struggle to differentiate one wine from another. And if that's truly the case, then I'm stupid if I spend £30 on a bottle of plonk if I get the same experience from something that costs £3 a bottle!

With a few caveats, I might say approach engine oil in the same way. In my experience, there's little reason to have faith in brands over non-brands. As often as not, the stuff's based around the same chemistry and data set.

I am far from a wine connoisseur, but it has seemed to me that the cheaper wines I've had tend to be sweeter (the wine cooler takes the notion to its logical end), possibly to mask any off notes in the natural flavor, while more expensive wines will tend to be dry and the subtle flavor notes will be more noticeable. I'm painting with a really broad brush here, and the most expensive bottle of wine I've ever had was probably $75, nowhere near the heights of what can be spent on vino! I guess I've found I'm usually happiest all around at maybe $20 a bottle, but remember reading that some 7-11 wines did quite well in the Wine Spectator for maybe $10 each.
Bum wines are another deal altogether, they are just crude alcohol delivery fluids with tastes I've found to vary from sickeningly sweet to vilely chemical. Don't worry, I drank this stuff as an experiment and not as a lifestyle...

http://www.bumwine.com/

Last edited:
I get what the OP is getting at. It's like car wax; there are those high $$$ one's that say it will make your mini-van look like a Porsche, and those that you must use 3 of their products to get the best results. Then, there is the all in one. Just make life simple and choose the all in one, right?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
All in one … was walking into Home Depot and raised the hood on one after reading the sign … plump canister

$40 on link below

Well … my 19 HP B&S = just put on a Fram TG for $2.50 and Delo 10w30 semi for $1/quart … so $2)
So my 10 minutes a year is OK by me …

https://www.homedepot.com/p/John-Deere-3...12916/303336752

I see this has it's own thread now … my evaluation above …

Simple. Make a flow chart. Level one: Choose between Conventioal ,Semi Synthetic and Full Synthetic. Level two: High Mileage, yes or no. Level three: Long Lasting: Yes or no. Level four: Economy: Yes or no.

Then you are done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back