oil for new scag with 26 hp kohler

Change the original hydraulic oil after the first 75-100 hours. Then, change every 200-300 hours, depending on your manual. I used Super Tech 20W50 for my first change. I will change again at 300 hours. Scag puts Hydro-Gear ZT-2800s on that machine. Hydro-Gear says 20W50 conventional is fine.
thanks. its unlikely i will get more than 50-75 hours a year on it. reckon i should just do it yearly with the oil and filter?

i just bought a new scag freedom z with the kohler motor. what oil would you guys recommend? right now it still has the factory fill with 5 hours on it. figure ill change that at 20 hours.
I use Full Synthetic Super Tech HM 10W30 in my Kohler powered JD LT150. Works good and is economical as well.

Just my $0.02

thanks. its unlikely i will get more than 50-75 hours a year on it. reckon i should just do it yearly with the oil and filter?
What does your owner manual say about changing the engine oil and filter? My Toro manual said to change the engine oil and filter after the first 5 hours of operation and every 100 hours or yearly after that.

What does your owner manual say about changing the engine oil and filter? My Toro manual said to change the engine oil and filter after the first 5 hours of operation and every 100 hours or yearly after that.
to be honest i got the mower last week and haven't opened the manual yet. i should probably do that. haha
but the scag dealer was insistant that i change the break in oil at 20 hours. ive mowed twice and have 5 hours on it.

to be honest i got the mower last week and haven't opened the manual yet. i should probably do that. haha
but the scag dealer was insistant that i change the break in oil at 20 hours. ive mowed twice and have 5 hours on it.
Yep, on about page 32. First oil and filter change at 20 hours. After that, change oil and filter every 100 hours or the end of every mowing season.

Yep, on about page 32. First oil and filter change at 20 hours. After that, change oil and filter every 100 hours or the end of every mowing season.
i need to look this thing over too. ibwonder if it has a fuel shut off valve. i would like to drain the carb in the winter. maybe the tank too and pit it on a battery maintainer

I don’t know if it has a fuel shutoff valve or not. I never worry about fuel being leftover. I add 1oz of Sta-Bil to every 2.5 gallons of my gas. I’ve been doing this for years and have never had any problems.

I don’t know if it has a fuel shutoff valve or not. I never worry about fuel being leftover. I add 1oz of Sta-Bil to every 2.5 gallons of my gas. I’ve been doing this for years and have never had any problems.
i have been treating all my gas for this stuffbwith stabil. maybe ill have the same luck

mine has a shut off valve (just found it). but it also has some sort of switch/sensor on the bowl of the carb. dont know what thats about. when its time im going to attempt to shut off the gas and run the carb dry. i might dain the tank too. idk well see in the fall.

i never used stabil before and just parked my last mower when i was done for the year. it always started right up. i never even changed the oil in it. just filled it up and mowed. but it was a cheap craftsman...not a scag

do they make a synthetic 15w? i thought it was 5w
Yes:

IMG_1891[1].JPG

mine has a shut off valve (just found it). but it also has some sort of switch/sensor on the bowl of the carb. dont know what thats about. when its time im going to attempt to shut off the gas and run the carb dry. i might dain the tank too. idk well see in the fall.

i never used stabil before and just parked my last mower when i was done for the year. it always started right up. i never even changed the oil in it. just filled it up and mowed. but it was a cheap craftsman...not a scag
The sensor on the float bowl of the carb is a fuel shut off valve.

This valve stuck on my unit, and I replaced it with a genuine Kohler part. Engine wouldn't run after that. I spent a ton of time diagnosing the no start issue, to no avail. After 2 weeks of beating my head against the wall, I figured out that I was sent a faulty new part.

I blame ethonal for the original problem.

Back