oil for Briggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sealbilly
I too used strait 30 in my Briggs. Last time I used 10w30 and I mowed for 4 hours strait yesterday, stopping after about 2 hours to check the oil level. It was full but thin as water. Next change I'm going back to rotella 30 wt.
Have you checked straight 30 after 2 hours? Was it as thin as water? Use 15w40 instead. That is better than straight 30.

If 30w is recommended for 40-100 F, I'll use that. Below 40 there's no grass. Above 100, I'm waiting for it to cool off.

Last edited:
On a mower forum that I frequent , somebody claimed that Kohler branded oil contained a zinc additive that was not used in motor oils intended for vehicles . Supposed to be good for flat tappet engines . Anything to this ?

My mowers are old, with about 15 year old B&S engines. I normally just use straight 30 or 15w-40 in them. No observable difference between the two in how the motors run. I will add to the full line as needed with whatever bottle I have open, so it can end up with a mix by the time autumn comes around.

One year I changed the oil and put in dino 5w-30 just as an experiment. There was a very noticeable increase in oil consumption. Had to add a couple ounces about every week I mowed to keep it at the full line, until I finally just changed it out. There is a reason B&S was calling for straight 30 on these engines. But 15w-40 will work just as well, if not better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back