oil for Briggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andyd
No way would I use 0w20 in an air cooled engine with a carb. Grass doesnt grow when it is below 60F. Why do you need a thin oil. Started out with 30w and went to 10w30. Best is plain ole 30w. I use 5w30 in the Snow blower. and that is probably a tad thin.
grin2.gif

Its not so much the temperature, but the increase in 0w20 automotive requirements. There is going to be more 0w20 leftover people are going to wonder if they can use in a lawn mower.

It’s interesting that there were a few of fans of 40 and even 50 weight oils. Of the five different choices of oils Briggs suggests, 40 is not one of them. They do however suggest that if your ambient temperature is above 120 F you can use 50 weight oil. This is important because the temperature in Seymour, Texas was 120 F in 1936. Hasn’t reached 120 F in Texas ever since. Same for Nebraska.
lol.gif

Last edited:
That’s a very interesting interpretation of what they are trying to tell you. The other four choices are for up to 100 F, but as long as you are above 20 F you should go to 50 weight oil. Do what you like.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
That’s a very interesting interpretation of what they are trying to tell you. The other four choices are for up to 100 F, but as long as you are above 20 F you should go to 50 weight oil. Do what you like.
smile.gif

Yep.

Here in NC my OPE doesn't get used if it's below 20°F. It'll be 80 in a few weeks all the way through October. It'll definitely be over 100°F a few times.
wink.gif

I like the way it runs - smooth and quiet. Don't knock it till you try it.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Briggs recommends their 15W-50 at all ambient temperatures above 20°F

I believe that's only their commercial engines.

I agree that B&S recommends their Vanguard 15w50 for commercial use. General use recommendation is 5w30 synthetic or 10w30. I use 10w30 T5. Ed

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I believe that's only their commercial engines.

Hmm... Maybe because it protects better under higher temperatures? Imagine that...

Originally Posted By: old1
Yes, but would 0/30 be ok?
Keep an eye on the oil level there MAY be a chance on increased consumption. All will be fine.

Leave it to the Canadian that lives in an igloo and gets to work on a snow machine to not understand the 15W50 recommendation. Most consumers use an engine for 30 min or less. Perhaps an hour. A generator, pressure washer, or mower that is used for hours on end, WILL benefit from the use of a 50 weight oil. Briggs was tired of replacing engines under warranty, so they rightfully added the 50 weight oil recommendation.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Leave it to the Canadian that lives in an igloo and gets to work on a snow machine to not understand the 15W50 recommendation. Most consumers use an engine for 30 min or less. Perhaps an hour. A generator, pressure washer, or mower that is used for hours on end, WILL benefit from the use of a 50 weight oil. Briggs was tired of replacing engines under warranty, so they rightfully added the 50 weight oil recommendation.

lol.gif
A Briggs will run just fine on 75W- 90. You think 15-50 is thick?

Last edited:
lol.gif

15W-50 is thicker than 75W-90 gear oil.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

lol.gif

Sorry to burst your bubble but someone will be along shortly with the actual numbers that 75w-90 is thinner than 15w-50.

Last edited:
I too used strait 30 in my Briggs. Last time I used 10w30 and I mowed for 4 hours strait yesterday, stopping after about 2 hours to check the oil level. It was full but thin as water. Next change I'm going back to rotella 30 wt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back