Oil for 4AGE blacktop 20V

Status
Not open for further replies.
wondering what your suggestions are on oil

Engine: 4AGE blacktop 20V in a AE111 Japanese import
Condition: 116,000km, runs well
Driving: Daily driven car, will see khana/ track events 2+ times a year, 20-30:80-70 (freeway:urban)
Loaction: Western Australia
OCI:5000km although am flexible and will change oil whenever it calls for it

I've run both 5w-30 and 5w-40 in the past but am leaning towards the 5w-30 as i feel performance is a little better. However summer is coming up and can be quite hot here in oz(~40 C), do you guys think a 5w-30 would be ok? maybe a stout/thicker 5w-30? not really interested in trialing and doing UOA's.
ill also be installing an oil cooler when i change the oil, as I've heard these engines have been known to run quite hot.
heres a pic of the recommendations according to the user manual
OIL.png

It says only run 5w-30's in lower temps but I was thinking this is probably outdate this out dated with progression on oils in the last 10+ years?( These engines were used in cars in the latter half of the 90's)

any help appreciated

Last edited:
A heavier 30 is probably a good idea. I assume you're looking at a synthetic?

Castrol Edge 5w30
Penrite Racing 5w30
Shell Ultra 5w40 (it's a very light 40)

Last edited:
If its warm where you are don't be afraid to go a little thicker, Penrite 15w/60 in the silvertop. runs great on it. in Brisbane where its pretty warm, back to 10w in winter usually. If its real cold go to 5w.

In synthetic you cant go wrong with mobil 1 5w30.

a 60 weight! isnt that far too thick?
high revving 4cylinder with much tighter clearances and not a whole lot of km's on it, i was convinced that a 40 weight was enough for it, although ive also heard of people running a 50 but never a 60.

any reason why you prefer mobil1 to the rest?

cheers

60 is crazy in this engine. SO is a 50 really. Castrol Edge 5w30 is A3 rated, all you'll ever need and more. Penrite 0w30 maybe another option, also A3 rated and is lighter than the Edge

M1 is just too expensive in Australia but Repco has 25 off right now which makes it OK.

Last edited:
Yeah im keen on a 30 weight but am worried it will degrade in our high temp summers. I guess what my question was will todays thinner oils such as 5w30 im looking at be able to hack these temps which would have traditionally called for a higher sae rating.

M1 is expensive! $100 at SCA, same price as royal purple at auto one. Im not too sure about the differences in these oils but the RP tends to be very popular amongst automotive enthusiasts

Originally Posted By: bmchi
Yeah im keen on a 30 weight but am worried it will degrade in our high temp summers. I guess what my question was will todays thinner oils such as 5w30 im looking at be able to hack these temps which would have traditionally called for a higher sae rating.

M1 is expensive! $100 at SCA, same price as royal purple at auto one. Im not too sure about the differences in these oils but the RP tends to be very popular amongst automotive enthusiasts

M1 and RP both make 0w40 and 5w40 oils, i would run one of those year round. you could easily extend your drain with either oil and make up some of the cost.

Some oils shear down, some don't. Most take quite some time however. If you're not running really long OCI I would not be worried at all using a 30w. M1 5w30 is overpriced in Australia. You can get a much better oil for the money. The Castrol Edge 5w30 is A3 rated to start with so it's only going to share down to what M1 5w30 is to start with, if it does at all. Unfortunately there is little data on Aus market Castrol oils.

There is some thought that a 10w30 will be more robust than a 5w30 so that is an option however it is going to depen which one you buy and most 10w30s are only semi synthetic at best.

UOAs show Helix Ultra 5w40 (Pennzoil in USA) will shear to a 30 after about 10k miles but for approx 10k Km it will stay in grade. And thats a light 40 to start with.

Thanks guys think ill try the 5w30 with the new oil cooler.

ive only done about 1000km's on the 5w40 i have in the car now however (including the track day). It seems it is common practise to change oil after track days.i did some reading on here however and seems people are using it for about 2-3 track days before changing.

would it be ok to change the oil to a 5w30 now and keep the used 5w40 in a bottle so i can switch it in for the next track day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back