Thick oil wanted for 1991 4.3L GM V6

Summer time Kohler motor oil !

It works just fine in winter. Most trucks in the US run 15W-40 in Winter, and some run even cheaper stuff than Delvac 1300.

1707582249141.jpg

If it's excessive, it's not too difficult on these to throw in a fresh set of valve stem seals. 15 bucks or so for the parts and you don't have to remove the heads. Check YT for some useful vids.
Valve guides are about $7 a piece, and I can see hoe the wear out. I'm sure the OP has considered replacing them, and decided against it.

The OP did have his Valve Stem Seals replaced!
Yes and the mechanic told him the guides were worn. Seals wear faster with loose valves. But you have to pull the heads to do a guide job where you can do the seals with the heads on. If he's not burning too much oil, I'd just run it and observe the old "check oil each gas fillup" maxim.

Yes and the mechanic told him the guides were worn. Seals wear faster with loose valves. But you have to pull the heads to do a guide job where you can do the seals with the heads on. If he's not burning too much oil, I'd just run it and observe the old "check oil each gas fillup" maxim.

Amazing that an Engine with 86K on it would have the Valve Guides worn!

Amazing that an Engine with 86K on it would have the Valve Guides worn

Not that long ago 100,000 miles was considered "useful life" for a passenger car and the odometers were 5 digits plus tenths. Also you get into production variation in the carbon content/hardness of the cast iron material. Foundry processes have come a long way.
My 67 Chevy 250 six had 14 thousands cylinder bore wear at 40,000 miles.

Not that long ago 100,000 miles was considered "useful life" for a passenger car and the odometers were 5 digits plus tenths. Also you get into production variation in the carbon content/hardness of the cast iron material. Foundry processes have come a long way.
My 67 Chevy 250 six had 14 thousands cylinder bore wear at 40,000 miles.
Great Discussion, so glad that I went from:

1) Valvoline
2) Castrol GTX
3) Mobil 1
4) Pennzoil Platinum

The 67 Chevy that you had, can you give us a story on this vehicle, because there is more to life than Motor Oil, except here on Bitog?

what are the zinc and phosphorus numbers on that stuff?
Virgin sample? Around 1000 P/1100 Zn. VOAs show it lower, then again, most of them aren't very accurate. However, that's the spec for the Infineum add-pack used by Shell for this lubricant at the recommended treat rate to meet the approvals and specs. The majority base stock is GTL, no Group III or III+ is used in this oil.

Great Discussion, so glad that I went from:

1) Valvoline
2) Castrol GTX
3) Mobil 1
4) Pennzoil Platinum

The 67 Chevy that you had, can you give us a story on this vehicle, because there is more to life than Motor Oil, except here on Bitog?
I bought it in 2001. 67 convertible, 250 six with Powerglide. It had been sitting for over 20 years but had only accumulated 37000 total miles. Ran great but had a lot of piston slap noise (given the serious bore wear, that was no surprise after I took the engine apart LOL). I did a complete restoration after I retired in 2009, took me three years.

Probably burning about a quart per month. The valve stem seals were replaced. That’s how the mechanic knew the valve guides were bad. I would guess the truck has about 145k miles. My school purchased it in 1995 with 56k miles. They put about 1200 miles per year on it. Oil changes were once per year. I purchased it with 86k miles. I put about 6k miles per year on it.

Back