Oil filter with multiple oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LotI
To those who change the filter after the oil...my particular engine has 1.3 quarts sitting around that CANNOT be drained. 25% of the oil is old...even with a filter change! Plenty of old oil and additives to mix with the new oil and additives.

That's a good point and is something I have read several times.

Changing oil filter a week or two after an oil change seems to be over thinking things.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Originally Posted By: LotI
To those who change the filter after the oil...my particular engine has 1.3 quarts sitting around that CANNOT be drained. 25% of the oil is old...even with a filter change! Plenty of old oil and additives to mix with the new oil and additives.

That's a good point and is something I have read several times.

Changing oil filter a week or two after an oil change seems to be over thinking things.

All vehicles hold leftover oil. They hold it, even when looosening and changing the old filter.

OMG! C'mon people. This isn't rocket science discussions here. Keep that filter on and quit needlessly corrupting our earth and air.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

OMG! C'mon people. This isn't rocket science discussions here. Keep that filter on and quit needlessly corrupting our earth and air.

I don't think it matters much if you drain the last few ounces of old oil out of the filter.... Whether it hurts or doesn't hurt is actually pretty moot. Leave the choice to personal opinion since it honestly WON'T matter either way.

The "rocket science" part of this comes into play with just how far the newer technology oil filters and synthetic oil have come.

I'm amazed - I've been changing oil since the days of SC/CC oil. I've got 140,000 miles on my 4.6 liter F-150, and it's "clean as a whistle inside" with changing oil at 7500-8500 and filter every other (mostly 25+ mile trips). Since the truck is fully depreciated out, I think I'll start doing 12k-15k oil changes and filters at 25k-30k. I sincerely doubt I'll be hurting it.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: jongies3
To me it's like changing underwear. Do you take a shower then put your old dirty shorts back on? No, so why put fresh oil in with an old dirty filter? One filter, one OCI for me. No matter how good a filter is, it doesn't feel right leaving an old used filter on with fresh clean oil in the engine. Filters aren't that expensive so why bother trying to stretch the dollar every oil change?

Why throw away something before it's finished its useful life? Do you throw away a half used tube of tooth paste? If the filter is rated for 15,000 miles it can stay on for 15,000 miles.
That's OK if your car specs 7500 mile OCI. What if it's 10K?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
To me it's like changing underwear. Do you take a shower then put your old dirty shorts back on? No, so why put fresh oil in with an old dirty filter? One filter, one OCI for me. No matter how good a filter is, it doesn't feel right leaving an old used filter on with fresh clean oil in the engine. Filters aren't that expensive so why bother trying to stretch the dollar every oil change?

Why throw away something before it's finished its useful life? Do you throw away a half used tube of tooth paste? If the filter is rated for 15,000 miles it can stay on for 15,000 miles.

I can see the tube of toothpaste every day. If I could see the oil filter media every day, I would know what to do. How about this one, safe to use? https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr..._G5#Post3354608
One 15k on a box doesn't fit all.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes

How about this one, safe to use?

Apples to oranges, in my opinion.
That was SEVERE cold weather, short trip use.

You can't see in your filter - - but you CAN document trends and history! Cut every filter open, with subsequently longer intervals.

That's how I ended up with a 30,000 mile FL-1A filter.... I cut them open at 5,000 then 10,000 and then 15,000 - - I never saw anything more than tiny macroscopic metal flakes and some small carbon pieces. At 30K it was somewhat beat up (all highway miles), but still intact (no failures). I regularly run oil filters to 15K now and sleep beautifully at night.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: goodtimes

How about this one, safe to use?

Apples to oranges, in my opinion.
That was SEVERE cold weather, short trip use.

You can't see in your filter - - but you CAN document trends and history! Cut every filter open, with subsequently longer intervals.

That's how I ended up with a 30,000 mile FL-1A filter.... I cut them open at 5,000 then 10,000 and then 15,000 - - I never saw anything more than tiny macroscopic metal flakes and some small carbon pieces. At 30K it was somewhat beat up (all highway miles), but still intact (no failures). I regularly run oil filters to 15K now and sleep beautifully at night.

That's all true for filter cutters like people here. My point sort of was the general public seeing a 15k, maybe 21k number on the box and thinking that is it. I think a lot of people think that way actually, and many don't read fine print either. So in winter short tripping they may get what was shown in the picture. Then there are some who say filter cutting is ridiculous and what are you seeing. I cut my filters open now, tells a lot, even if they aren't "full."

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i leave the filter on and dont touch it.. I don't like the dry starts or the chance the filter gasket could become damaged.

Good point! Makes sense when applicable.

After my experience I am planning on changing the filter every OCI.

I just posted thread with a cut open 25k mile/3 OCI Fram Ultra. At the bottom of the can there was gritty residue which makes me wonder if some of it made it back into the engine when the filter goes into bypass mode. Link

Great analogy but it will be lost on some trying to save a dime at the expense of their longer engine life.

The 10-12 oz. of oil in a filter isn't likely to alter
the make up of the 5 or 6 quarts you add at oil change time
assuming reasonable change intervals.
Honda has a well earned reputation for reliability and longevity
and they recommend changing filters every other oil change.

My 2¢

By that analogy, an extended OCI is like not showering or changing your underwear.

Filters don't know or care about OCI.

There is no difference at all between doing a 15k OCI/FCI, or doing two 7.5k OCIS on one FCI.

Engines are not organic beings. They're not going to get jock itch because they're running the same filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back