Oil Filter Torque Figures

I always thought it would be cool if we had torque figures for our oil filters. It would be so much nicer than worrying about getting the filter too tight or too loose by hand. On small piston engine powered aircraft like a Cessna 182, the oil filter will have a nut on the end like a K&N filter has. Teledyne Continental specifies a range of 192-216 inch pounds for disposable type oil filters on their engines:

Teledyne Continental PDF

I'm wondering how 200 inch pounds would be for an ACDelco PF47.

A solution for a problem that does not exist!!! Only oil filters on race cars and airplanes need a specific torque spec. At my service center for customer vehicles and for my fleet all techs are required to install all oil filters with a 1/2' drive air gun set to max until the gun stops turning. We have never had one back off. Can't argue with success. :ROFLMAO:

A solution for a problem that does not exist!!! Only oil filters on race cars and airplanes need a specific torque spec. At my service center for customer vehicles and for my fleet all techs are required to install all oil filters with a 1/2' drive air gun set to max until the gun stops turning. We have never had one back off. Can't argue with success. :ROFLMAO:
You know I've been changing oil for 63 years or so with all my filters only as tight as I can get them by hand. I've never had a filter back off. Only times I've ever had a problem with a filter is when I let the experts do it and that hasn't been often.

You know I've been changing oil for 63 years or so with all my filters only as tight as I can get them by hand. I've never had a filter back off. Only times I've ever had a problem with a filter is when I let the experts do it and that hasn't been often.

Same here. As for the air gun installation I pity the next person trying to get that off. It doesn’t need to be on that tight.

Back