Oil Filter Torque Figures

He's not formally racing it from what I understand. But I'm sure there are approved methods for official racing use. AFAIK, the photo I posted would pass inspection for racing motorcycles.

Never seen a service manual say oil the threads. Oil the gasket, yes ... but not the threads. The filter mounting stud will already have oil all over the threads.
NO not necessarily as you well know that it is up to the safety inspector and they can call it ! But in the official rules under safety requirements it may be a grey area and there again it would be up to the safety official inspecting the bike. I have been called on having an inch to much fuel hose on my bike by an official at Laguna Seca and you really thing a hose clamp on an oil filter is OK! Auh ok good luck every time with that! i

As for the oil the threads ........ hold on I will go take a picture of one for you!!! BRB :cool:
I need to make a post- it (ZeeOSix) so your know its real I own one and the response ids for you! ;)

I also said that not everybody has the same hand strength as well. And I also suggested the idea that changing oil filters in a limited quantity does not necessarily build experience on the level of how much you need to tighten an oil filter as in an occasional person that changes a few a year.

THIS. (y)

Here you go Zee...(y)

Attachments

• IMG_20210919_124159486.jpg
    IMG_20210919_124159486.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210919_124209109.jpg
    IMG_20210919_124209109.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210919_124219374.jpg
    IMG_20210919_124219374.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 25
I loved the Suzuki Oil filters on my old Air-Oil cooled GSXR.
They had a O-ring gasket. Roughly 2 turns until you feel metall to metall contact, done. No gueswork, no torque, just as you feel the metall to metall contat, it was good. As easy as it gets.

They had a O-ring gasket. Roughly 2 turns until you feel metall to metall contact, done. No gueswork, no torque, just as you feel the metall to metall contat, it was good. As easy as it gets.
LOL got one of those Factory service manuals also my friend.. (y)
Oh and those re my Flatslide conversion I had rebuilt for my GSZR 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20210919_125720404_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210919_125720404_HDR.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210919_125809478.jpg
    IMG_20210919_125809478.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 5
That's exactly what I worded it . And I also said the way I do it! I also said that not everybody has the same hand strength as well. And I also suggested the idea that changing oil filters in a limited quantity does not necessarily build experience on the level of how much you need to tighten an oil filter as in an occasional person that changes a few a year. You and I have likely changed several hundred or more and know how to install an oil filter without thinking twice or worrying about it leaking or needing to be King Kong to remove it on the next service.
Yes, I've installed plenty of oil filters ... but still use the 2/3 to 3/4 turn after gasket contact or use a torque wrench on P-gasket filters. I'm sure I could just "do it by feel", but I like some level of measurement on something critical where a leak could mean disaster.

Hmm.... Not in everyone.
And, for example: A car is equipped with a "Denso torque stop" filter from the factory where the car maker gives torque Specs, but if a want to use a different Aftermarket filter with a square shaped gasket this one has only printed "3/4 Turn" on it..
In my opinion, its easier and more safe to use a torque wrench. Just click it down and you are done.
I said every manual I've had ... not every manual ever printed. :D

I always use a torque wrench on P-gasket (torque stop) type filters because it's that torque that crams the circumfernce of the filter can into the mounting seat. So it's more along the lines of torquing down a giant nut with a gasket on it. For square cut base gaskets, I do the 2/3 to 3/4 turn from initial gasket contact on the mount seat.

It's two turns from initial gasket contact because the threads on those Suzukis are super fine - and only works as mentioned in the manual (tighten two turns) if the OEM filter with the P-gasket it used. Same deal with my Hayabusa. I take it you use a torque wrench on that filter? The OEM filters have the torque spec printed on the filter.

Last edited:
Is that a Clymer's manual, lol. ;)
I thought you would say that and they are Factory Service Manuals .
But you can look into it as you seem to be good finding information on the internet one was a Honda VF750 Magna. and the other was a Susuki GSXR FSM ;)

Btw you may not be old enough but there was a time that Haynes,Chilton,Clymer and a couple others had great reputation. Much of their service information was from FSM and also at one time at least one of those three companies would almost completely disassemble a vehicle for each publication.

I alway first try to get a set of FSM for any vehicle I plan on owning for more then a do have a rather large library of FSM :)

Attachments

• F6FDA744-2567-4349-B71C-2FE9456E0769.jpeg
    F6FDA744-2567-4349-B71C-2FE9456E0769.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 7B8F2425-D1AF-4968-B6C7-F9E533927011.jpeg
    7B8F2425-D1AF-4968-B6C7-F9E533927011.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back